Active Now

Malizz
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » What type of home remedies have you used to stop the iching of poison ivy/oak/sumac?

What type of home remedies have you used to stop the iching of poison ivy/oak/sumac?

So, after spending last Saturday hiking in the blooming woods, I have taken on the terrible mistress of poison ivy... And I lost... It's all over my hands and it's driving me nuts! What type of home remedies have you used to stop the iching of poison ivy/oak/sumac?

Posted - February 23, 2017

Responses

Benadryl  Itch Stopping Cream. Not a 'home remedy', but it works.
      February 23, 2017 4:52 PM MST

First, soap and water. The itch is caused by an oil, urushiol, so you can dilute it with any kind of oil and wash that off too.

Now this: http://www.nowiknow.com/the-red-menace/
      February 23, 2017 4:57 PM MST

• Wash the areas with Dawn dishsoap to remove the oil....the oil is what causes the reaction....if you don't remove the oil it won't heal. You can try an oatmeal paste or bath to help with itching....best thing is to contact a pharmacy that does compounding (mixes/creates medicine) see if they compound a poison ivy remedy. Banana peel will help soothe, cold compresses, camphor oil works like an anesthetic, calamine is always a good thing.....most important, wash the areas and remove the oil!
      February 23, 2017 6:39 PM MST

• I didn't realize a banana peel could help. Very interesting. Thanks for the reply!
      February 23, 2017 7:41 PM MST

Great answer. I was about to post the same remedy. It worked for me and the kids often. My wife's mother told us about it.
      February 24, 2017 4:20 AM MST

• A social web site is likely to be a very poor source of reliable medical advice.  Why not just go to the drug store and purchase a reputable OTC?
      February 23, 2017 6:54 PM MST

• It's halfway just to see what others do and half to find a natural remedy that isn't typically found in drug stores. For example, baking soda and water. That helps but you won't find that out in a drug store.
      February 23, 2017 7:43 PM MST

Oh Corey The GoofyHawk~ You've been a great friend from years back on the internet and in the wild.  We say hi to your cousins, "kitty" and "hawk," who visit us almost daily.  What may help you is right in your kitchen.  Try baking soda and water to make a paste.  It will pull out the poison.

. Baking Soda Baths & Pastes

Found in most kitchens, common baking soda is a great natural remedy for the itchiness associated with a poison ivy rash. To help relieve itching, place 1/2 a cup of baking soda in a bath tub filled with warm water. You can also mix 3 teaspoons of baking soda with one teaspoon of water and mix until it forms a paste. Apply this paste to the infected area to relieve itching and irritation that’s associated with a poison ivy rash.

2. Oatmeal Paste

Cook a small amount of oatmeal and apply it directly to the skin as a paste. Make sure to cook it very thick so that the paste will stick to the skin. Some sources recommend putting the oatmeal on the skin while it is very warm, as the heat from the oatmeal will eventually cool, leaving the skin dry and relieved. Make sure not to apply the oatmeal when it is too hot, as this can easily burn the skin. You may also try mixing in a teaspoon of baking soda, for an extra itch-relieving effect.

3. Organic Apple Cider Vinegar

Apply a teaspoon of organic apple cider vinegar directly to the infected skin. Apple Cider Vinegar has a toxin-pulling action that helps suck the poison out of the pores. You can also create a warm vinegar compress using a thin cotton towel. Reapply to the skin as needed.

Poison Ivy Remedy - Aloe Vera

4. Aloe Vera Gel

An ancient curative remedy for the skin, aloe vera can be used directly on the infected area. You can buy a high-quality organic version at most health-food stores, or even better, buy a plant and use the gel from inner flesh of the leaves. External use of organic aloe vera juice may also help, but is not as effective as the gel.

5. Organic Goldenseal

Mix a small amount of powdered goldenseal root with a small amount of hot water. Rub this paste on the affected skin to help reduce the chances of infection. For quickest results, try drinking goldenseal tea or taking a goldenseal supplement. This remedy can also help with poison oak.

6. Himalayan Crystal Salt

Remember, poison ivy is a condition that causes the skin to become wet and red. Salt is an excellent natural remedy, as it is drying for the skin, and will pull both the excess water and the poison from the body. Make a paste using purified water and Himalayan Salt. You can also take a warm salt bath. I’d recommend putting a cup of Himalayan Crystal Salt into the bath tub and soak in it for at least 20 minutes.

7. Organic Witch Hazel

Dabbing a small amount of witch hazel tonic on the infected area offers both cleansing and itch-relief. Witch hazel can be found at most drugstores.

8. Banana Peel

It may sound strange, but many old-wives tales swear by the power of a banana peal for poison ivy. Simply rub the inside of a banana peel on the affected area. This is possibly related to the cooling effect the banana peel has on the rash.

9. Organic Cucumber

This green veggie is very cooling. Making a cucumber paste and applying it to the skin helps bring soothing relief to heated itching. For easy itch relief, slice a piece of a cucumber off and let it dry on the affected area.

10. Watermelon Rind

Similar to the cooling cucumber, watermelon is also cold on the skin and can help provide itch relief for the poison ivy rash.

†Results may vary. Information and statements made are for education purposes and are not intended to replace the advice of your doctor. Global Healing Center does not dispense medical advice, prescribe, or diagnose illness. The views and nutritional advice expressed by Global Healing Center are not intended to be a substitute for conventional medical service. If you have a severe medical condition or health concern, see your physician.

These work for poison oak too.  I hope you feel better.  And thank you for sending kitty and hawk over to say "Hi."  We love it when they visit. :) :)

February 23, 2017 7:04 PM MST

• Anytime, my friend, lol. Thanks for the reply! There's some good stuff here. We actually have a full bottle of Aloe Vera from my wife's last sunburn.
      February 23, 2017 7:50 PM MST