Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Emotions » How did you find the confidence to date or love..?

How did you find the confidence to date or love..?

When you felt you didn't even have a 'self' some days? In my personal case, the reason was trauma, emotional and physical for years; belittling, shaming, cruel words, physical assault/threats... How did you find or realize you might be worth it, to maybe find love or try to date?

Posted - July 13, 2016

Responses

You don't.  You get therapy.  You will just attract someone you don't want to attract giving off those vibes.

If you think you are going to plaster your hurt feelings for the world to see and expect Joe Saint in Shining Armor to rescue you, you are WRONG. Dead wrong.  You will attract some bully looking for a victim. You will think this is all you can get and settle for anything rather than be lonely.

So, if you don't have the courage to fix yourself?  You are screwed.  Make getting healthy mentally your sole reason for being.  Call and get some help.  Google it.  Go to the book store and get books.  Anything and don't stop until you can stop thinking this is you and all that you are.

I don't know if you are a man or woman, but there is help all over the place if you just take the first step.

http://www.helpguide.org/articles/abuse/help-for-abused-and-battered-women.htm

July 13, 2016 10:11 AM MDT

• I'm just going to repeat a quote I read the other day ... it's simple, but most truth is ... everything you desire lies on the other side of fear ...   you can do it if you want to :)

July 13, 2016 10:22 AM MDT

It's in Springfield; go find it.

July 13, 2016 11:16 AM MDT

You are worth to be loved unconditionally.
    What you experienced was not love.
    Allow yourself the chance to experience true love.
    But you have to start by loving yourself first.
    Once you do, you will only allow into your life people that cherish and honor you.
    All my best wishes,
    UC
      July 13, 2016 8:45 PM MDT

Helpful as usual...smh.
      July 13, 2016 8:46 PM MDT

Oh boo hoo hoo.    Talk about beating a dead horse!!!

July 13, 2016 8:48 PM MDT

Aww thank you so much *hugg. It sometimes is still a 'fog' almost; like, you have to question 'was that really not love?' and yes, I know inside, it truly didn't feel like it at All. But you believe someone when they seem so authoritative, and down you so much, you start to feel, they must be right ... looking back I see how awful that is to believe it (and yet I have for YEARS ...) I mean, I'm in my early 30's and never dated. :/  Simply because I feel so tainted like any guy would feel/see that right away too. I thank you for saying I am worth to be loved .. have a wonderful evening...

July 13, 2016 11:32 PM MDT

Ty , I appreciate that- esp. the part where you said 'until you can stop thinking this is you and all that you are.' That is how I typically identify with myself, just low/weak/etc. People wonder why I am not further 'ahead' in life, bf/hubby or my own place etc... it is due to crippling self doubt/fear and symptons of PTSD .. most dont' 'get' that you don't feel you have a 'right' to anything when someone has belittled you so  much... ty so much for the link, I will check this out, and any tips are good .... have a nice evening

July 13, 2016 11:39 PM MDT

July 13, 2016 11:39 PM MDT
  • D&D

I think it's more because people are ruled by their genitalia (and others) and how it makes them feel, therefore 'overcome' their lack of confidence.

In other words, plenty of people are weak.

July 14, 2016 12:08 AM MDT

I haven't.

But I wish you better luck than I've had.

July 14, 2016 12:11 AM MDT

• :)
      July 14, 2016 3:43 AM MDT

July 14, 2016 9:30 AM MDT

July 14, 2016 9:30 AM MDT