Active Now

my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Television and Movies » What is the best film you have seen?

What is the best film you have seen?

Posted - March 7, 2017

Responses

• Almost impossible to answer, especially for a non-professional. But the most MOVING film I've ever seen was Cry Freedom the Steve Biko story. We saw it with friends and had planned a night out afterwards but we were all so shattered we just went home. That was about 30 years ago and it still stands large in my memory.

March 7, 2017 3:50 PM MST

• I generally oppose making such restricted choices.  A few of my favorites are: The Seventh Seal, God On Trail.  For B class movies: Equinox, Psychmania and Highlander.

This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at March 8, 2017 7:22 AM MST
      March 7, 2017 3:57 PM MST

• I watched THE SEVENTH SEAL in the 1960's, and have never forgotten it. Just now, I notice that GOD ON TRIAL is on YouTube, the full movie, and I may watch it tonight!
      March 7, 2017 7:39 PM MST

• Let me know what you think.
      March 7, 2017 7:40 PM MST

• Just looking through the publicity, apparently it is highly likely to be true; Elie Wiesel says he saw it happen.
    1 AM Wednesday, and I just finished the film, yes truly very fine. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at March 8, 2017 7:22 AM MST
      March 7, 2017 7:54 PM MST

• (The Seventh Seal is one of my favourites too).
      March 8, 2017 2:51 AM MST

• Dear Lucia,
    Just for fun I checked Wikipedia; "he Seventh Seal is considered a classic of world cinema. It established Bergman as a world-renowned director."
    I did not even realize that!
      March 8, 2017 3:31 AM MST

• Have you seen 'The Virgin Spring' and 'Wild Strawberries'? There's something about the cinematography - it's always sunny juxtaposing with pretty difficult existential disturbance. The final sequence of The Seventh Seal has to be one of the fixating images in film.
    Thanks, V. :)
      March 8, 2017 3:51 AM MST

• Lucia yes, I have seen BOTH of those...THE VIRGIN SPRING especially gripping for me.
    Hmmm...I have been intrigued by the Existentialists, the philosophers...their interpretation of modern art, for example...wonder if they might consider Ingmar Bergman as one of their own!
      March 8, 2017 9:56 AM MST

Can't name just one. How about by category.

Best Musical - West Side Story
    Best Western - Shane
    Best Historical - A Man For All Seasons
    Best Horror - The Exorcist.
    Best Police Procedural - The French Connection
    Best Adventure - Lawrence of Arabia
    Best Foreign Language - Babette's Feast
    Best Spiritual - Babette's Feast
    Best Foodie - Babette's Feast
    Best Comedy - The Odd Couple
    Best War Movie - All Quiet On The Western Front

Most Overrated - Citizen Kane

March 7, 2017 4:02 PM MST

I really like "Citizen Kane" a lot. I believe it deserves it all.
    :)
    And I like a lot of your other choices.
    :)
      August 19, 2017 3:14 PM MDT

Good one.  It made me laugh and cry.  I love any movie that can make me do that.
      March 7, 2017 4:13 PM MST

Well said!  The movie hit every mark of what I like in a film.  Even though it's incredibly sad, it does showcase the resiliency a person can have over the worst of circumstances.  

March 7, 2017 4:18 PM MST

i really liked cast away, saw that yrs ago
      March 7, 2017 4:50 PM MST

• Cast Away is a wonderful film!
      March 7, 2017 7:17 PM MST

• I think David Lynch's Mulholland Dr. may be my favorite movie. 
      March 7, 2017 5:24 PM MST

• This is only one of the best movies ever made! 
      March 7, 2017 5:45 PM MST

• I have this on my list, and that is because of your fine recommendation!
      March 7, 2017 7:19 PM MST

• Dear ThunderCatMartin,
    I also might have difficulty choosing just one...a contender is certainly the Coen Brothers, O BROTHER WHERE ART THOU? I loved the humour, the mythic quality, and the music.

March 7, 2017 7:45 PM MST

• Great movie, one of the few movies I can watch over and over.
      March 10, 2017 9:32 AM MST

• First time I ever saw this...it was DVD form, and I watched it at least five times that weekend! Someday I will go back to it, too...
      March 10, 2017 9:46 AM MST

Director Lars Von Trier's "Dancer in the Dark"

~ an absolute masterpiece for me
      March 7, 2017 8:01 PM MST

Schindler's List
      March 8, 2017 3:30 AM MST

• Grave of the fireflies, Flatlands, Enter the Dragon, The South Park Movie, Napoleon Dynamite, Apocalypse Now, The Deer Hunter, The Piano, there are so many best movies,   oh,  and Rocky, can't forget Rocky.
      March 10, 2017 9:29 AM MST