Active Now

Randy D
Shuhak
DannyPetti
Discussion » Questions » Random Knowledge » Have you ditched salt in your food?

Have you ditched salt in your food?

Posted - March 12, 2017

Responses

Nope. 

~
      March 13, 2017 7:04 AM MDT

Nope.
      March 13, 2017 7:11 AM MDT

I've reduced it as much as it is possible for me.
      March 13, 2017 8:02 AM MDT

Consuming too little can be just as bad as too much.  Despite a CDC-funded study showing this, they have not changed their guidelines.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2013/05/15/health/panel-finds-no-benefit-in-sharply-restricting-sodium.html
      March 13, 2017 8:11 AM MDT

Thank you for that Bozette.  That was very kind of you.  Fortunately, I don't have to worry about that.  Gawd, I need salt in my food!  lol.  I just make a concerted effort not to overdo it.  :-)
      March 13, 2017 8:15 AM MDT

Welcome.  It concerns me when people overdo it either way.  That despite the fact that most remark on my liberal use of salt, lol.  I tend to follow my cravings.  When I cook mostly from scratch, I am much more liberal in my use of the salt shaker.  That perhaps speaks to processed foods containing a lot of salt.  
      March 13, 2017 8:23 AM MDT

I know exactly what you mean.  I noticed I've become heavy handed with salt as I've grown older and I do think it is due to eating processed foods, something I didn't do much of when I was younger.  I've been actively attempting to cut out the processed foods over the past few months.
      March 13, 2017 8:56 AM MDT

The absolute healthiest times in my life have been when little or no processed foods were eaten. 
      March 13, 2017 9:10 AM MDT

Salt (Sodium chloride) is an essential nutrient for good health. Read the labels and try not go over the limits.
      March 13, 2017 9:14 AM MDT

But it tastes soooo good.
      March 13, 2017 9:18 AM MDT

• Nope. I consume a lot of salt -_- 
      March 13, 2017 10:15 AM MDT

all the time, i never add extra salt
      March 13, 2017 2:00 PM MDT

You don't need an exact amount of salt, you only need "some". It is more important to maintain a balance between sodium and potassium. Sodium makes cells absorb water, potassium makes them dump water. Potassium chloride is sold in grocery stores as "salt substitute". I have taken to using both in approximately equal amounts.
      March 13, 2017 5:46 PM MDT

No. What I should be ditching are carbs.
      March 13, 2017 5:47 PM MDT

Every time I hear the word 'ditch' it reminds me of a story told by a teacher back in the seventies. He was a former cop, and this one time he was riding in a van driven by a rookie. Now you gotta know a few things: in the seventies there were no seat belt laws, and a "van" was something resembling a big shoe box with sliding doors. And this was a warm day, so they were in this van with the doors open. So a call comes over the radio and Big Guy says "Turn it around, we gotta answer that call." The rookie was a good kid, he did what he was told: he turned it around. At 35 miles per hour. Surprisingly, the van did this move without turning over, but it did not stay on the road. It jumped the curb and bounced along over some rocks next to a ditch. So Big Guy is sitting there in this open doorway, nothing holding him in, and he is looking straight down into a ditch. His excitement was so great that he almost couldn't speak, but he did manage to get one word out: "Ditch." Like I said, the rookie was a good kid, he did what he was told: he got off his seat and jumped out of the van.
      March 14, 2017 10:48 AM MDT