Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Death and Dying » At what point should we make a will?

At what point should we make a will?

My friend, Grim, can drop by at any time, at any age. At what age do you think it's appropriate to make a will? 

Posted - March 13, 2017

Responses

Ideally before you die. Only way to be sure is to do it now!
      March 13, 2017 3:49 AM MDT

• Good point, Malizz. The problem is we all think we're immortal -- at least, before we reach old age.
      March 13, 2017 3:50 AM MDT

Seems to be a duplicate gremlin in AM; I've run into it two. 
      March 13, 2017 3:55 AM MDT

• Thanks. Fixed. 
      March 13, 2017 4:00 AM MDT

• I had mine done after my divorce a couple years back. I think early 60's is the best time but I had to make a lot of changes after the divorce. In ideal conditions? I think at age 60 is the time to do that.
      March 13, 2017 7:23 AM MDT

• That covers most of us. We made ours (and backed them up with enduring powers of attorney) in our late 50s.
      March 13, 2017 12:42 PM MDT

I keep putting it off. I will need two: One if I croak before the wife goes  and one if she plops before me.
      March 13, 2017 9:32 AM MDT

• Croak and plop are legal terms that can be included in a will. I hope you both avoid croaking and plopping for many years to come. 
      March 13, 2017 12:44 PM MDT

i might not bother, if im dead i dont care what happens to my stuff, its not like i'll be able to use it
      March 13, 2017 1:51 PM MDT

You should make a will as soon as you have an estate worth fighting over. If you are attending to someone's affairs and they left no particular estate but you run across something that looks like a will, burn it. Even if it says "Share and share alike", it can tie up proceedings for years.
      March 13, 2017 5:29 PM MDT

Based on personal experience I would recommend everyone regardless of age or gender make out a will; a living directive; and a letter of intent. A living directive has many names but it is a document where you lay out your health and treatment preference and you name your health advocate who will legally defend your medical desires. A letter of intent also has many uses but in this case it is one where you voice your druthers regarding your funeral arrangements. Having those documents in place, signed and filed when required will save your family and those who are your executors hours and days of frustrations.
      March 14, 2017 3:17 PM MDT

Hi Didge~  No matter what age you are, you should have a living will.  Even if you think you might have nothing, you have something. You could live a Zen life style and still have something that someone else could use.  
    It is courteous to the people who cared about you and the your remains to have things in order. 
    It doesn't take much to help the people who are left living.  They will appreciate it very much.  This way they don't feel badly about giving some item you wanted specifically to go to someone or bicker over something everyone wanted.
    Give yourself a nice goodbye and thanks to everyone left.  You will make a nice lasting impression and set an example for others who didn't think that far ahead. 
    You can always change it along your life path.
    Anyone can fall off a curb and die or get hit by a train or jump out of an airplane or drown in 2 inches of water.  You never know.

March 14, 2017 10:43 PM MDT

Hi Didge~  No matter what age you are, you should have a living will.  Even if you think you might have nothing, you have something. You could live a Zen life style and still have something that someone else could use.  
    It is courteous to the people who cared about you and the your remains to have things in order. 
    It doesn't take much to help the people who are left living.  They will appreciate it very much.  This way they don't feel badly about giving some item you wanted specifically to go to someone or bicker over something everyone wanted.
    Give yourself a nice goodbye and thanks to everyone left.  You will make a nice lasting impression and set an example for others who didn't think that far ahead. 
    You can always change it along your life path.
    Anyone can fall off a curb and die or get hit by a train or jump out of an airplane or drown in 2 inches of water.  You never know.

March 14, 2017 10:43 PM MDT