Active Now

Gino LOLobrigida
Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » Have you ever shoplifted

Have you ever shoplifted

When we were kids, we came up with a game. . .
Who could shoplift the biggest thing. . . I know not very honorable.
This one kid came back with a big ol Remote Control Car!! We were amazed!!
Anyway. ..
One of the mothers got wise and interrogated her son who, probably considering his own safety above everybody else's, decided to fold .
I got walked to the store, had to return the stuff and got a severe "talk" to.

How bout you?

Posted - March 21, 2017

Responses

• Yes, as a stupid teenager.

:(
      March 21, 2017 1:12 PM MDT

• Why stupid Glis?
      March 21, 2017 1:23 PM MDT

• The reasons for doing it.   it wasn't like I really needed something and it was my only option.   I was just greedy and going for kicks at someone else's expense.
    It was stupid to be taking from someone else's livelyhood and risk my own arrest while damaging my personal integrity.  In retrospect I think that's stupid given the circumstances and motivation.

March 21, 2017 1:34 PM MDT

• Yeah, you're right.
    As a kid, and maybe even now, I have to admit, grudgingly, that I didn't see it as that big of a deal. 
    But I know I'm wrong for seeing that way.
    Thanks Glis, I appreciate you always responding to my silly questions.
      March 21, 2017 1:36 PM MDT

• This is far from a silly question IMHO.

I started to feel the remorse earlier but it really hit me when the owner of the small shop we took stuff from closed down many years later.   We weren't the cause and it was from changing dynamics of the area and big chain stores moving in.   Still when I saw the people who owned it have to close down and were kind of broke from losing the store...   That's when it really sank in how important that place was to them as a source of income and how much of them they put into it.
      March 21, 2017 1:44 PM MDT

Yes, I have, but that was a long time ago. This post was edited by Zack at March 21, 2017 7:40 PM MDT
      March 21, 2017 1:15 PM MDT

• You have never as an adult???
      March 21, 2017 1:22 PM MDT

Nope. Not even close.
      March 21, 2017 1:24 PM MDT

• Thanks Z, I sense a sad story behind your answer. Did you HAVE to shoplift??
      March 21, 2017 1:26 PM MDT

Yea I did. Long story.
      March 21, 2017 1:28 PM MDT

• Fair enough. Thanks for responding Z.
      March 21, 2017 1:38 PM MDT

My older sister and I stole candy from the nearby 'corner store'.  We got away with it. However, as I reached adulthood, I sent the store owner money to cover it all, plus lots of extra. 
      March 21, 2017 1:21 PM MDT

• Really???
    Why?
      March 21, 2017 1:22 PM MDT

The store owner was a kindly old guy. Everybody liked him. I felt guilty as an adult, but not as a kid.
      March 21, 2017 1:28 PM MDT

• I think that's pretty alright!
    I agree with you, as I kid I don't think we feel guilty about much. We have to be made to feel it.
    I understand, thanks bh.
      March 21, 2017 1:33 PM MDT

When I was a teen, we took turns swiping a bottle of wine from a carryout. Stupid, but never got caught. Haven't done so since. A funny story though; when my son was about one year old we had him in a backpack as we browsed through a book store. When we left we saw that he had picked up a book off a shelf.
      March 21, 2017 1:49 PM MDT

• Ha!
    Good one,  )
    When I go to one of those Pet stores that allow you to take your dog  into . . you know?. . I gotta watch him, he does that all the time.  I catch him because he starts wa!king really slowly towards the exit. 
    Did you return the book?? This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at March 21, 2017 3:17 PM MDT
      March 21, 2017 3:16 PM MDT

• That is very honorable.
      March 21, 2017 2:28 PM MDT

• That's a good story.
    Very honorable.
    Like I mentioned to Glis, I didn't think it was big deal then if not for my mother beating my ass with the stuff I had stolen.
    But I'm sure I'm thinking wrong.
    I do concede that it is a good thing to make amends. I have wronged people before and it nags at me until i need to somehow make up for it. 
    Thanks WW,  thank you very much for sharing your story. 
      March 21, 2017 3:25 PM MDT

• Shamefully yes.  A lot of comic books and monster magazines. This was stupid. I had the money to buy them so why risk shoplifting?  I suppose it made me feel cool and tough.  I have sometimes wondered if the counter person knew or suspected but didn't want to be bothered making an issue of it.
      March 21, 2017 2:26 PM MDT

• He probably did.
    Interesting how that works, it was almost a right of passage for us kids. There was this one poor kid that wanted so bad to be part of the game, he was a rich kid.  He got caught the very first try! 
    We all scrammed. 
    I don't think you should feel shame for it, those are just things kids do.
    Unless you're still doing it.
    Have you ever shoplifted as anadult ??

March 21, 2017 3:32 PM MDT

• As an adult sort of in that I would do a bit of grocery shopping in the coolers at work or have a meal unpaid for.  But I have become a better person than that.  some of that was a need to lash out against a miserable job.  To feel more adequately compensated and the influence of crushing depression.

And I disagree, I should feel ashamed. I  would have been around 12 or 14.  I knew better.  To have to face my mother with that would have been deeply shameful.
      March 21, 2017 7:35 PM MDT

• Sure, sure . . .
    Disappointing my mother was the worst of it, but the beating sort of took care of any guilty feelings I might have had about the whole thing.
    I liked the honesty of your first paragraph, thank you for sharing that.
    I once took a stylus from Wal-Mart as an adult, . . .no reason. . . Just did it. . . Pretty stupid considering all that could have happened had I gotten caught.
    Thanks whistle.
      March 22, 2017 9:29 AM MDT

When I was 8 or so - it was a challenge - not proud of it
      March 21, 2017 4:48 PM MDT