Discussion » Questions » Animals (Wild) » Know the Difference Between the Snakes?

Know the Difference Between the Snakes?

It's spring time and people will venture out into the woods and have more activities outside. Look for snakes.The dark colored kinda white specked snake is a King snake. Don't kill it! It is a friend. It will eat poisonous snakes like the copperhead. 

Posted - March 26, 2017

Responses

• I never kill the snakes.   I like them around.
      March 26, 2017 8:33 AM MDT

It is the human snakes I look out for.  They are everywhere, some hiding, some in plain site. 
    But thank you for the information on the other kind of snakes. I have many in my backyard. 
    This post was edited by . at March 26, 2017 4:39 PM MDT
      March 26, 2017 9:02 AM MDT

My cat is a snake killer. He brings them up to the house as if expecting to get a reward. I just let them slither off. Poisonous snakes are very rare around here.  (midwest)
      March 26, 2017 9:57 AM MDT

There are Massasauga Rattlers here in Northern Ohio and southern MI. I have never seen one though. I wonder how Rattlesnake Island got its name.
      March 26, 2017 10:11 AM MDT

Lucky you. Here in the South, it pays to be careful.
      March 26, 2017 4:39 PM MDT

I found a Fox Snake in my back yard when I lived near Maumee bay. I picked it up and it tried to bite me; decided I was not food and wrapped itself around my arm. I walked around the neighborhood showing it to the kids, then let it go down by the bay. I like snakes. My sister and I had a secret place to find them near our school. The only venomous ones I have seen were in Charleston SC. There was a copperhead next to a golf cart path. I picked it up with a club and tossed it in the woods. Very docile.
      March 26, 2017 10:19 AM MDT

I've been a forester for 30 years in the South and would never consider the Copperhead docile. There are more people bitten by them than rattlesnakes. Maybe the one you came across was sick.
      March 26, 2017 4:37 PM MDT

When I was about 12, Our house and farm was sold to a young couple who were given permission to do some outdoor landscaping while we had 30 days to vacate the house. One day, I approached the couple with a harmless garter snake I had found. The lady screamed in horror and ran for the safety of their car. The man began yelling at me to get rid of the snake! He was angry! Later, we found out the lady was terrorized of snakes. (no kidding) They resold the property soon after. Lots of snakes around there because of the nearby river.
      March 26, 2017 11:09 AM MDT

I love snakes :) We don't have anything really poisonous here, just grass-snakes, (non poisonous) and adders, (pretty mild as poisonous goes) - I feel honoured when I see an adder - they are pretty shy.
      March 26, 2017 2:25 PM MDT

• Respect your adders.
      March 26, 2017 9:13 PM MDT

It is not necessary to know the difference between snakes. Just don't try to shake hands with any of them because, you know, they are all snakes.
      March 26, 2017 2:28 PM MDT

• Scroll down and see my related story.
      March 26, 2017 9:14 PM MDT

I don't particularly care for snakes, but I have the same agreement with them as the rest of the wildlife here (except when hunting)...I won't bother them, as long as they don't bother me.  For the most part, it has worked well.
      March 26, 2017 2:40 PM MDT

i rarely see snakes where i live but one time when i worked in yellowstone i was going to use a pay phone outside to call my sister and there was this snake right outside so i had to make my call somewhere else
      March 26, 2017 2:57 PM MDT

• I'm reminded of a time I was hiking along a rock face and saw a snake coiled up in a crevasse in the rock.  I got the idea I'd go pet this snake. As I reached in to the crevasse it raised a coil and rattled its rattle.  This snake did not wish to be petted.

Moral- Stay indoors where there are snacks, not snakes.
      March 26, 2017 9:12 PM MDT