Active Now

Slartibartfast
Malizz
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » Do you call your physician by her/his first name?

Do you call your physician by her/his first name?

Why or why not?

Posted - April 4, 2017

Responses

• I'm getting around to it., After a lifetime of saying "Doctor" it feels a bit odd but she's only a kid -- she's not even 60 yet. 
      April 4, 2017 1:03 PM MDT

They're so cute at that age.
      April 4, 2017 6:05 PM MDT

• They seem to learn something new every day. 

This one hasn't learned how to cure my arthritis yet but I'm sure she's trying hard. 
      April 4, 2017 7:08 PM MDT

Not really because I don't know him all that well.
      April 4, 2017 1:04 PM MDT

• No.  We have a professional relationship, not a casual relationship.  Also he worked very hard to earn that title and I can respect that.   Also I work n a hospital so I come into contact with a lot of MDs.   I plain asked one if he preferred title or name.  He did not care so first name it is.  Some of the doctors have names I could not hope to pronounce properly so at his suggestion he goes by Doctor G.   I also suspect the use of the title is proper at the hospital.  If I know the individual and encountered him in a casual setting I'd probably use a first name.
      April 4, 2017 2:20 PM MDT

Lately, I've noticed some doctors introducing themselves with a first name. I wondered if I am just too set in my ways and that doctors would rather be more casual. But from what you said, it must just be a personal choice. I choose to keep a little distance. Thanks for answering.
      April 4, 2017 6:16 PM MDT

No - I can count the times I hve seen a doctor in the last 10 years on the fingers of one hand... not one for going to the doc me.
      April 4, 2017 3:43 PM MDT

• "No" ... out of respect for his title, I call him Doctor.
      April 4, 2017 3:45 PM MDT

Even if a doctor wants to be called by her first name, I have trouble doing it.
      April 4, 2017 6:09 PM MDT

• I feel the same way.
      April 5, 2017 8:42 AM MDT

never
    Always DR.
    It's the respectable behavior
      April 4, 2017 6:52 PM MDT

Depends on the type of relationship---my regular doctor or the one treating me in the emergency room.---

My regular physician is going to be touching me in places on a regular basis which would normally require his buying me dinner first---I think using his first name is appropriate, but I did ask him if that was OK with him first.
      April 4, 2017 7:01 PM MDT

Hi Jane, never ever saw you or Gtravels ask a question on AB...so glad to see one now;))

As for calling my doctor with the first name....umm never did so...maybe I hate my visits to a doctor....scary.....fortunately my visits are an annual check up or something....I do have a doctor who is a distant cousin ....and I call her by name ( only when no one is around;))
      April 4, 2017 8:52 PM MDT

It's pretty rare for me to ask a question, but this one came to me because the orthopedist that I see that is very formal with me but when discussing my exercise routine with my personal trainer, identified himself by just his first name. I never call my doctors by their first name and would find it difficult to do so. I've had the same primary care doctor for decades, but still call her Dr. Her staff refer to her as Dr. Ann. This post was edited by Jane S at April 9, 2017 3:56 PM MDT
      April 5, 2017 3:25 AM MDT

Hi Jane, maybe he wanted to put you at ease.
      April 9, 2017 4:00 PM MDT

• I only use their first name if they address me by my first name and it has surprised a couple of them.  But then I'm British and a bit more formal.  I  think it's especially disrespectful to hear a young doctor address an elderly person by their first name.

I had to take my father to the dentist in this country and the young dental nurse called out his first name in the waiting room, I had to nudge him and tell him that she meant him.
      April 4, 2017 11:10 PM MDT

I've never minded being called by my first name by medical people, but I can never bring myself to call them by their first name even if they ask me to. I guess I like to think of doctors as being wiser and even more powerful than me.
      April 5, 2017 3:20 AM MDT

• They went to medical school that's the only difference, it doesn't mean they're wiser or smarter than you. 
      April 5, 2017 9:12 PM MDT

• I completely agree with you. I had one called me by my first name and put his arm on my shoulder.  I got up and did the same. It was Mr L this and Mr L that after.
      April 6, 2017 8:19 AM MDT

I call my dentist by his first name. But he happens to be married to my cousin. One of the office staff referred to him as Dr. "Jeff" after I called him Jeff. I let her know he's family and that I call him by his first name. 
      April 5, 2017 3:29 AM MDT