Active Now

Malizz
Spunky
Discussion » Questions » Communication » What is your typical manner for handling telemarketers?

What is your typical manner for handling telemarketers?

If you do pick up Lol...

Posted - April 17, 2017

Responses

• Sometimes ( I'm being 100% honest here)   I ask them to hold on one second then hold the phone near the toilet while I pee then hang up.
      April 17, 2017 9:24 PM MDT

• I've done that man!
      April 18, 2017 7:42 AM MDT

• Greta minds think alike!
      April 18, 2017 10:20 AM MDT

Lmao !!!! :P
      April 18, 2017 10:53 PM MDT

• Depends on whether I'm feeling playful. Normally I just hang up as soon as I know who they are. Once I managed to convince a guy that I was Russian and don't speak any English.

But to hear a master at work, listen to how Ted Mabe handles telemarketers. 

April 17, 2017 11:26 PM MDT

I found that on line when I was researching robo calls a few months ago.
      April 18, 2017 10:01 AM MDT

Wow, just Wow Lol!!
      April 18, 2017 10:53 PM MDT

LMAO!  
      April 19, 2017 1:24 PM MDT

I put on the deepest, creepiest voice I can manage, and say:
    "That's very interesting ... WHAT are you WEARING?"
    That's when THEY hang up.
      April 18, 2017 3:54 AM MDT

Now that sounds like fun.
      April 18, 2017 10:02 AM MDT

Hahaha!!!!! Love it. One time my sister called my uncle (so she though).. she was describing to him some issue with her computer and he kept saying 'uh- huh, yep' etc... he SOUNDED like him, but then she realized, he wasn't saying anything else- she said, 'Um, V?' and the guy goes, 'No you have the wrong number sorry, I just didn't want to interrupt in case I could help' hahahahaha!!!! She was chuckling for a bit after that one.
      April 18, 2017 10:52 PM MDT

I just say no thank you and hang up. 
      April 18, 2017 6:08 AM MDT

Out of the hundreds of telemarketers calls we receive every year .... We finally cracked it ... in the middle of sex the phone rang & there it was on the screen (overseas call) My partner said to me ... stop stop .... "Helloooo, ok, please hold the line & I'll get the owner of the property" With that she put the phone on the bed & said to me ... where were we.

They stayed on the phone for ages before we heard the beeping sound ... its not typical but it was an opportunity that couldn't be missed ... not to mention I did find it rather arousing.  
      April 18, 2017 8:13 AM MDT

I bet they never encountered a call like that Lol :P
      April 18, 2017 10:47 PM MDT

Life is full of opportunities ... you just have to know when to seize them. :-)
      April 18, 2017 11:37 PM MDT

Hello B:

I have a different take on it, of course..  At one time in my checkered past, I WAS a telemarketer..  But, I was SOOO good at telemarketing, that NONE of my customers ever thought of me in that light..  It's not hard to do, if you BELIEVE in what you're selling, and I did...  First off, I established a rapport with my customers because I have the unique ability to correctly pronounce difficult last names on the fly.. Then it was off to the races..

Here's an example of that in my own life..  My last name is difficult, so when somebody calls me and pronounces it correctly, he's got my attention..  Then if he starts talking about stuff I'm VERY interested in, he has me. 

goody This post was edited by excon at April 19, 2017 1:27 PM MDT
      April 18, 2017 9:20 AM MDT

• Easy, most can't pronounce my first or last name right. It's usually obvious when they call, it's obvious that J-eh-pah isn't around, so I tell them that I'm not in and they have the wrong number, then blacklist their number. 
      April 18, 2017 9:40 AM MDT

I usually answer if I am close to the phone---simply because until they get a contact and a declination, they consider the phone number still to be a possible lead.

I never answer a question asked.  (If they say can you hear me and you answer "yes," your answer is recorded and can be used to show that you authorized them do various things.)

The first think I ask is "What do you want?"---that usually prevents them from staying on script.

Also, I have two phone lines in my house.  I always give the one dedicated to my fax out when I need to list a number---unless I regularly deal with the business requesting my number.

I don't have the patience to jerk them around.
      April 18, 2017 10:00 AM MDT

I don't even pick up lol- if I don't recognize the number it is usually telemarketers....why are there so MANY???
      April 18, 2017 10:49 PM MDT

I guess it's worth their while to do it.
      April 19, 2017 10:12 AM MDT

i got one today, i just told them to take me off their list, i did put myself on the donotcall.gov list but they call anyways, what i hate is when im waiting to hear from jobs and then hear from them instead. wonder how they get jobs like that, maybe i should do that, i could use a job
      April 18, 2017 5:40 PM MDT

I think it would be a decent job, if it was part time.. I wouldn't be able to handle people yelling at me or cursing 'leave me the hell alone' everyday LOL
      April 18, 2017 10:49 PM MDT

We put a telemarketer block on the phone. That way they can't even call us.
      April 19, 2017 10:21 AM MDT