Discussion » Questions » Computers and the Internet » Does anyone know what DNS is?

Does anyone know what DNS is?

My internet will not work right now, and I have no clue why !! I went to a troubleshooting tab and it said that supposedly, my computer 's DNS is not working correctly ? Anyone know anything about it? Thanks

Posted - May 1, 2017

Responses

I get that a lot... it's nothing to do with my computer as such, it's that the internet, supposedly fibre optic is unreliable in my house.. so it's the service provider/the lines/cables etc..  sometimes restarting my computer/the router etc. helps but it's never a permanent fix.. I'd say probably the internet provider rather than computer
      May 1, 2017 3:15 PM MDT

• DNS is domain name server ... It's the address book on line your computer yours to when you try to connect to a web site .. The end service things that web site and gives the address to you .. it's normally set by your isp
      May 1, 2017 4:28 PM MDT

Domain Name Servers (DNS) are the Internet's equivalent of a phone book. They maintain a directory of domain names and translate them to Internet Protocol (IP) addresses.

Your computer maintain a DNS cashe where it remember the address of internet pages you have visited. That way it can save time by skipping the step of asking a DNS server what the correct IP address of answerbag.com is every time you click on a question here. This post was edited by JakobA the unAmerican. at May 1, 2017 9:53 PM MDT
      May 1, 2017 9:45 PM MDT

Thanks!  I have wondered about it too. :)
      May 1, 2017 9:54 PM MDT

But if your DNS cashe gets corrupted and start returning wrong IP addresses you are in trouble. That is probably what happened. To fix it you need to flush your DNS cashe.
    ref: https://www.google.com/search?q=dns+flush&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b#safe=off&q=how+to+flush+dns+windows+10
      May 1, 2017 9:55 PM MDT

Thanks so much Jakob...this helped...i just now have to try the link ..however not sure how to do that when no sites are downloading..ugh!! 
      May 1, 2017 10:51 PM MDT

JakobA gave a good answer.  I'm glad you asked; I learned something tonight.  :)
      May 1, 2017 9:54 PM MDT