Active Now

Element 99
Zack
DannyPetti
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Traditions » What culturally-based obscure facts or myths do you know of concerning what people do with hair that has been cut off of heads?

What culturally-based obscure facts or myths do you know of concerning what people do with hair that has been cut off of heads?

It's a tradition from the maternal side my family that we save the hair from a boy's first haircut so that he will be intelligent when he grows up.  I do not know its origin, but I swear by it because my mother did it with me and I carried on the tradition with both of my sons. To this day, tucked away somewhere in little plastic bags are tufts of their rich dark hair. Unfortunately, I do not know if it was/is also practiced with girls. I only have sons. 

~

Posted - May 3, 2017

Responses

Did it skip your generation?

:)
      May 3, 2017 10:36 PM MDT

In Hindu tradition, the hair from birth is associated with undesirable traits from past lives. Thus at the time of the mundan, ( the hair ceremony) the child is freshly shaven to signify freedom from the past and moving into the future. It is also said that the shaving of the hair stimulates proper growth of the brain and nerves, and that the sikha, a tuft at the crown of the head, protects the memory;)) This post was edited by Veena.K at May 4, 2017 5:55 AM MDT
      May 3, 2017 11:06 PM MDT

Wow!  Thanks!
    :)
      May 3, 2017 11:13 PM MDT

;))
      May 3, 2017 11:19 PM MDT

In Victorian times, jewelry made from human hair was quite fashionable. 

May 4, 2017 5:59 AM MDT

some people donate their hair for people with cancer
      May 4, 2017 3:59 PM MDT