Discussion » Questions » Death and Dying » 18 Penn State students charged in Fraternity death of member Tim Piazza. Is YOUR college kid in a Frat? Why?

18 Penn State students charged in Fraternity death of member Tim Piazza. Is YOUR college kid in a Frat? Why?

Posted - May 6, 2017

Responses

• I was not in a fraternity in college, but a lot of my friends were and I hung out at this one particular frat a lot. I enjoyed it (despite the sticky floor and the smell of stale weed that always permeated the house), though some of the things they did didn't sound appealing to me. I remember one of my friends pledged a professional fraternity for pre-med students, supposed to be one of the good fraternities that didn't like the term "frat" that conjures up images of bros in baseball caps who haze, yet this one partied harder than any frat I knew. Those pre-med students knew how to turn it up. 
      May 6, 2017 9:25 AM MDT

I'm 79 NevanB so my experience of being in a sorority was way back in the 50's. There were no scandals then of which I was aware. Subsequently through the years I have read of other Frats being  banned from campus because of the activities involved. There have been other deaths associated with Frats too. I think people are just getting dumber frankly, not smarter. Thank you for your reply and Happy Wednesday to thee! :)
      May 10, 2017 5:40 AM MDT

None of my nieces or nephews joined fraternities or sororities in college.
      May 6, 2017 11:14 AM MDT

They didn't miss out on anything. What sororities and fraternities were like in the 50's when I was in a sorority in Junior College is nothing like what they appear to be today. There have been other deaths associated with Frats and some have been banned from campus because the members simply didn't know how to comport themselves. I had fun when I belonged to  a sorority but that was way back then. I'm not sure I'd fit into one today. Thank you for your reply Spunky and Happy Wednesday! :)
      May 10, 2017 5:37 AM MDT

Happy Wednesday to you.  I didn't to to college, so I never had the sorority experience.  I'm not sure I missed out on much.
      May 10, 2017 8:46 AM MDT

i dont have kids but that frat didnt sound like a good one
      May 6, 2017 3:58 PM MDT

My kids did not attend college, they went to tech schools. However if that had been the case, I would hope they would have had the sense to not belong to these fraternities. I have a hard time believing the activities that go on in these institutions of "higher" learning, under the nose of school officials and they permissively allow this behavior. 
      May 9, 2017 11:34 PM MDT

In my day they didn't used to be that way Autumn. Of course being 79 I know things have changed greatly in the ensuing decades. I did belong to a sorority in junior college and there were fraternities there too. But I don't recall any hint of trouble or problems associated with them then. I attended Pasadena City College and the different sororities/fraternities were strictly social and very benign. What they have become I think  is atrocious and horrendous. This is not the first time death has occurred due to activities there were dangerous. Thank you for your reply. When my son and his friends went to college none of them cared a hoot about joining fraternities. They were all athletes and too busy with school work and the athletic activity demands to have any time or interest in them! :)
      May 10, 2017 5:34 AM MDT

How times have changed girlfriend. There is no such thing as innocent times any longer. What a sad statement!! 
      May 10, 2017 10:04 PM MDT

I know and I feel so very bad for young people who don't have a clue what life is SUPPOSED to be like or used to be like or could have been like. I wonder how many of them go to libraries or bookstores with their folks? Everything is available through computers. You don't ever to leave your home or interact face-to-face with other human beings. SIGH . Times change. I  know that.  But why do they have to be changing for the worst and not for the better?  T'is a puzzlement Autumn. Every day I wonder "what will today bring" and at the end of every day it seems society has deteriorated a little bit more...sometimes a lot more! Thank you for your reply my friend and Happy Thursday! :)
      May 11, 2017 3:05 AM MDT

Hello RosieG and Autumnleaves. RosieG's last comment and events in the news like the political system reminds me of a few scriptures.
    (2 Timothy 3:1-4) But know this, that in the last days critical times hard to deal with will be here. 2 For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, haughty, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, disloyal, 3 having no natural affection, not open to any agreement, slanderers, without self-control, fierce, without love of goodness, 4 betrayers, headstrong, puffed up with pride, lovers of pleasures rather than lovers of God,
    (2 Timothy 3:13) But wicked men and impostors will advance from bad to worse, misleading and being misled.
    (Matthew 24:6-14) You are going to hear of wars and reports of wars. See that you are not alarmed, for these things must take place, but the end is not yet. 7 “For nation will rise against nation and kingdom against kingdom, and there will be food shortages and earthquakes in one place after another. 8 All these things are a beginning of pangs of distress. 9 “Then people will hand you over to tribulation and will kill you, and you will be hated by all the nations on account of my name. 10 Then, too, many will be stumbled and will betray one another and will hate one another. 11 Many false prophets will arise and mislead many; 12 and because of the increasing of lawlessness, the love of the greater number will grow cold. 13 But the one who has endured to the end will be saved. 14 And this good news of the Kingdom will be preached in all the inhabited earth for a witness to all the nations, and then the end will come.
    (Matthew 24:21, 22) for then there will be great tribulation such as has not occurred since the world’s beginning until now, no, nor will occur again. 22 In fact, unless those days were cut short, no flesh would be saved; but on account of the chosen ones those days will be cut short.

Just don't forget the future when the whole earth is under Christ loving care as King of God's Kingdom.

(Psalm 37:10, 11) Just a little while longer, and the wicked will be no more; You will look at where they were, And they will not be there. 11 But the meek will possess the earth, And they will find exquisite delight in the abundance of peace.
    (Psalm 37:29) The righteous will possess the earth, And they will live forever on it.
      May 11, 2017 6:58 AM MDT

Hello to you too buddy!!!! If only others could understand just how truly close and imminent the end of this system is. Jehovah's blessings always!! :)
      May 11, 2017 10:25 AM MDT

Hi there tex! It has been awhile since we chatted. Nice to see you here m'dear! Thank you for your thoughtful and informative reply and Happy Friday! :)
      May 12, 2017 3:27 AM MDT

Hello RosieG and AL. You're welcome.
      May 12, 2017 7:55 PM MDT

Happy Saturday tex! :)
      May 13, 2017 4:43 AM MDT

I've never understood the fraternity culture, we don't have them in Australia.
      May 10, 2017 2:14 AM MDT

In Junior College I belonged to a Sorority. We had Fraternities on campus as well and sometimes we'd have joint parties. I recall a bunch of kids who never got into any trouble. I mean for Easter Week we rented houses at Laguna Beach and the guys kinda watched out for us...like big brothers would. There might have been a romance or two among the guys/gals but it was never obvious. It was lots of fun. At the parties there would be a keg of beer and when it was gone no one went out on a beer run. Getting drunk wasn't what we were after. Having fun was. It was a social thing and of course we did have what they called "He**  Night" as an initiation into the sorority. Mostly it was messy and juvenile but no one was ever put in any jeopardy and Alcohol was NEVER involved. I don't know what the guys did for their initiations. I expect it was somewhat more macho dude than ours but everyone always showed up in class the next day sober and healthy so how dangerous could it have been? What fraternities have become and why I cannot fathom. SIGH. They were kinda like social clubs. Harmless. Of course I'm 79 so that was many decades ago. Thank you for your reply Sbf! My son and his friends NEVER were interested in joining them. They were all jocks! :)
      May 10, 2017 5:28 AM MDT