Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Politics » Do you think UKIP would have faired better in the up and coming elections if Nigel Farage had remained head of their party?

Do you think UKIP would have faired better in the up and coming elections if Nigel Farage had remained head of their party?

Posted - May 18, 2017

Responses

I learned something very simple since Trump got elected.  Politics is nothing but B.S.

I would wax profound but we cannot swear on here. 

There is no telling.   When power and money are factors, everything else falls by the wayside in the name of WHAT IS BEST AT THE MOMENT.  That is situational ethics and they just do not fly with me.

This GUY is lauded as maybe a non-hero because he is not there to prove anything at all.  It only counts when they say what they are going to do and do it and I have little hope that any country falls within those auspices.
      May 18, 2017 12:03 PM MDT

Not much. He did an okay job as party leader - he was reasonably articulate, could handle himself in debates, and wasn't a "accident-prone" as his replacement Paul Nuttall.

But I don't see him as someone who would be able to give the party a new sense of purpose or direction post-Brexit. In fact I don't think he ever had any political ambitions beyond the UK leaving the EU.

UKIP's problem now is that with their main unique selling point gone, they don't really have any way of retaining their Northern working-class supporters. There is very little demand for a further lurch to the right. Why vote for a party who are really just "Tories on steroids"? 
      May 18, 2017 1:08 PM MDT

I enjoyed your response, weren't most of them ex-conservative members, as a result I found them difficult to trust.
      May 18, 2017 1:14 PM MDT

We had a council by-election here a couple of years back, because one of the UKIP counsellors hadn't shown up for any meetings, and resigned the day before he was due to be thrown off the council, so perhaps UKIP losing so many counsellors is nothing to do with the leadership, but rather, because they are completely useless. This post was edited by HarryDemon at May 19, 2017 9:36 AM MDT
      May 19, 2017 9:35 AM MDT