Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Relationships » Ever have the thought, 'What right do I have to date?' when you feel tainted or broken?

Ever have the thought, 'What right do I have to date?' when you feel tainted or broken?

How do you or did you  (or would you) move past the limiting thought?

Posted - May 18, 2017

Responses

a date is not a right. :)
    when someone likes you and wanna go out with you, then that's just that: no one is entitled to anything, they like you for who you are and just want to spend some time with you.

they say love yourself so that others can love you, too. I say love yourself so that you can accept the love of others, cause they will love/like you regardless.

let go of the idea that you're not good enough, love yourself wholly, and don't overthink it. if someone likes you, then they like you.. loving yourself influences how things move from there. learn to do that, it's a continuous process.. but it's the most essential skill you'll ever have to learn. :)
      May 18, 2017 10:14 PM MDT

Thanks so much N. By 'do i have a 'right' to date?' I mean not really 'rights' as in a noun or something you deserve regardless of anything (right to free speech, a right to no discrimination in workforce etc.) but rather as in, 'is it fair to the other to be with me?' .. when one feels so broken/tainted. I know ppl have said 'let them decide that' but then I also hear, you must love yourself and be confident in your skin to date/be with someone, and it is just not happening over night... and I've been trying to work on this years now:( I'm 35, and when will I FEEL love for myself and confidence?  It sucks b/c anxiety and PTSD don't disappear as quick as we'd like and some have said, 'just go out anyway even with anxiety etc.' .. but how is that presenting a whole person to the guy /date? I guess one could argue who IS whole? it's just the trauma I went through was s o extensive I feel guys will run :(  I guess I could just say yes to only ONE night/one date to someone, and if that is all it ever was then it's ok. I just feel I'm leading them on that I'm someone 'great' when I don't feel it... ty so much for always having a great view.
      May 18, 2017 10:43 PM MDT

If you are not already getting professional help to deal with your anxiety and PTSD, then you need to do it now or you will spend the rest of your life never being able to enjoy the happiness you deserve.
      May 19, 2017 11:27 AM MDT

everyone has the right to date, i just wish people would ask me
      May 21, 2017 5:45 PM MDT