Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » In some churches the custom is for women to cover their heads. If you attended that church would you go in bareheaded? Why?

In some churches the custom is for women to cover their heads. If you attended that church would you go in bareheaded? Why?

Posted - May 22, 2017

Responses

If I were a member of a church that did that, I would follow that custom. If I were not a member I would go in bareheaded.
    It is a sign of submission and respect for God according to some religions.
      May 22, 2017 1:04 PM MDT

I have worn a scarf over my head when I attended church with a friend where that was the custom. I would have felt out of place if I didn't do so. I don't like to stand out Lulu'sMom. I don't like to ignore tradition. I would feel embarrassed and as if everyone were staring at me for being so rude. Now it might well bother me a lot more than it bothered the members. But I know me. I play by the rules. I try to be respectful of other people's traditions. It in no way demeans me to do that. Just how I look at it. Thank you for your reply! :)
      May 22, 2017 1:09 PM MDT

Hi Rosie! I have not been put in a position where I needed to wear a head cover.
    But I don't go to any churches anyway, so I don't worry about it.
    Happy Monday Rosie.
      May 22, 2017 1:14 PM MDT

No worries honey. This was many years ago. I was in my "checking other religions out" phase. Also at the time I worked for an architect who gave me a project to work on. He was commissioned by a very wealthy man to design 12 houses of worship which the man planned to build in various cities around the country. They had to be designed so that anyone of any faith would feel welcome and comfortable. I figured along with doing my research (the goal of which was to find the common denominators all religions share) via books I'd visit the places where people worship and get first-hand experience. I never regretted it. Thank you for your additional comment! :) ((hugs))
      May 22, 2017 1:18 PM MDT

some people at the church ive been going to cover their heads, i dont
      May 22, 2017 3:52 PM MDT

If I went to a church like that, I would respect their customs and cover my head. It's their church, their rules. Otherwise, I'd just find another church that doesn't do that if I didn't want to cover my head.
      May 22, 2017 5:38 PM MDT

It's called good manners. Not so much outside, but that's their sacred place and you don't kick that.

I work in other people's homes. Some of my clients are Muslim - I take my shoes off at the door without being asked, it's the polite thing to do.

(Incidentally that custom is as much practical as cultural - those rugs can be priceless).
      May 22, 2017 6:10 PM MDT

In some churches the custom is for women to cover their heads. If you attended that church would you go in bareheaded? Why?

===============================================

One could argue, on the basis of 1 Corinthians 11:5, that it should be the custom in all churches for women to cover their heads, “For if the woman be not covered, let her also be shorn: but if it be a shame for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her be covered" But that, according to the verse only applies to “every woman that prayeth or prophesieth”

Just like churches and those who visit them choose to comply with or reject the custom similarly, it seems, dignitaries visiting foreign parts choose to comply with or reject the custom.

Melania Trump talks with Saudi Crown Prince Muhammad bin Nayef. Her appearance was no different to Michelle Obama's two ...

Pope Francis walks past first lady Melania Trump and Ivanka Trump at the end of a private audience at the Vatican on Wednesday.

May 25, 2017 6:28 PM MDT