Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
Randy D
Discussion » Questions » Politics » White-owned Mexican food shop in Portland closed amid "cultural appropriation" accusations. Fair?

White-owned Mexican food shop in Portland closed amid "cultural appropriation" accusations. Fair?

http://www.theblaze.com/news/2017/05/24/tiny-white-owned-burrito-shop-in-portland-suddenly-shuts-down-you-already-know-why/

Kooks Burrito was a pop-up burrito shop in Portland, Oregon. It was started by two white girls who based their recipes on techniques they learned in Mexico. The shop was shut down after negative media attention surrounding accusations of racism and "cultural appropriation" when the girls shared with a news source that they "peeped" in on older Mexican women making burritos and tried to replicate the recipe in the U.S.

They were soon accused of stealing the recipes and thousands of negative Yelp reviews appeared. The business closed up shop shortly after.

Was this actually cultural appropriation? Was this tyranny? Was this capitalism and the free market at work?

Posted - May 25, 2017

Responses

People are stupid. If the white girls made good Mexican food at a fair price, that is all that should matter. They were not hurting the Mexican women in Mexico... they were simply looking for ways to make their food more authentic and better. 
    They should open under a different name and hire a Mexican to work for them to satisfy the PC people. 
      May 25, 2017 10:34 AM MDT

What a ridiculous display of intolerant idiots taking it upon themselves to be offended on behalf of people they neither know nor who asked them to do so..."offense appropriation".  
      May 25, 2017 11:09 AM MDT

Thanks!
      May 25, 2017 11:13 AM MDT

• I agree. I'm half Japanese, but I wasn't offended by How I Met Your Mother doing "Asian face", even though I was told I should've been offended. I'm tired of people getting offended for me or telling me that I should be offended by something. 
      May 25, 2017 11:42 AM MDT

Bravo, Nevan!  Always knew you were an intelligent and sensible young man.  :)
      May 25, 2017 12:58 PM MDT

dont sound fair to me
      May 25, 2017 12:56 PM MDT

It sounds unfair to me from what I read.
      May 25, 2017 2:24 PM MDT

• That is absolutely ridiculous! There is nothing racist about it. If anything, these angry people should be proud because these girls tried to replicate an actual Mexican recipe from an actual Mexican. If this is actually racist and actual cultural appropriation, where is the hate and people screaming racism at Taco Bell? Lord knows they aren't genuine Mexican food.
      May 25, 2017 4:39 PM MDT