Active Now

my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Babies and Kids » Allowances for kids: yea or nay? (+why)

Allowances for kids: yea or nay? (+why)

Posted - May 26, 2017

Responses

No, because I am very, very mean.. I think kids should have no money and then when they grow up and cannot afford to leave home because house prices and rents are too high they should be made to give us parents money.. 

No, seriously, I don't... my sons were never interested in money.. so I never had to give them an allowance.. and daughter is interested in money but when I tried to tie it to some simple chores like not putting empty cans in her bed and bringing plates down.. she reneged on the deal.. so she got no allowance..  I have saved money each month in an account for her .. but otherwise no and she doesn't seem to mind.

She will soon, (hopefully!) have access to her own money.. and that will be interesting...I think she and I agree she will go wild for a while then will settle down and spend wisely. 
      May 26, 2017 2:18 PM MDT

I didn't give any to my to my boys and some of their chores were pretty hard - like splitting fire or turing over gardens. I just figured ever body had to pull their weight. I would surprise then with a little money ever once in awhile but they didn't expect it and they appreciated when they got it. Cheers and happy weekend!
      May 26, 2017 6:56 PM MDT

I allowed my kids to do a lot of things. 
      May 26, 2017 6:59 PM MDT

Nay...they made do with what we provided and didn't complain.
      May 27, 2017 8:50 AM MDT

Yes, for the purpose of learning to manage money.

If we are going to impute value to a woman's work around the house, why should a child (or a man) not conceptually get a similar allocation?

And why not use that to teach them more about the world---including extra effort and overtime?

If it is done well, there are no downsides.
      May 27, 2017 1:03 PM MDT

i think they should do chores for it
      May 29, 2017 4:28 PM MDT
  • AG

I think they are good because they teach responsibility. They also help you make decisions when you go out to buy something and money management.
      July 21, 2017 7:50 AM MDT