Discussion » Questions » Television and Movies » Have you ever had to "stop" a movie and/or leave for a while because you couldn't take the suspense?

Have you ever had to "stop" a movie and/or leave for a while because you couldn't take the suspense?

Mine was Michael Haneke's original 1997 "Funny Games" (not his American remake)

~ after throwing the remote at the TV (I missed, thankfully) I had to go take a walk
~ a masterpiece of a film to me!
~ and THE most disturbing film I've yet to see -- without one segment of gore

Posted - May 26, 2017

Responses

Yes, more than once.  Don't remember the names of the movies but sometimes it is necessary to let it go. 
      May 26, 2017 5:05 PM MDT

I get where your'e coming from, MorningStar!
    :)
      May 26, 2017 5:11 PM MDT

The Ring movies, American and Japanese versions. They're just too "jumpy" for me to take. I haven't seen Funny Games, but I might give it a whirl. I know it's on Netflix. 
      May 26, 2017 8:47 PM MDT

I swear I never got an alert! Sorry for my late response!
    Yeah, I know I saw the first original Ring movie. Jumpy, yes!

I highly recommend the original 1997 "Funny Games"  (not the American remake with Michael Pitt and Naomi Watts - - I haven't seen that one) - - great movie and cast. I can't say enough about it, other than it may not be for everyone, that's for sure.
    Actor Arno Frisch (the dark-haired young guy in tennis whites in the movie) really impressed me. But like I said, the whole cast is great to me.

Thanks for answering, righty1! LET'S GO CHAMP!
      June 5, 2017 3:35 PM MDT

I have walked out of movies because I couldn't take it period.  The Deer Hunter was one of them.  We had too many friends over there and I couldn't take it.  I sat in the lobby while my husband finished the movie.   I had to leave Poltergeist when we went to see it at the theater.  Little Carole Ann looked and sounded like my little daughter at the time and I could not watch it.  Same thing................waited in the lobby.  I did that many times but not always because I couldn't take the movie.  I just hate going to movie theaters.......they are nasty, way too loud, and if there is a lot of action on the big screen I get sea sick.  The VCR was invented just for me. 
      May 26, 2017 11:23 PM MDT

I love your answer, Thriftymaid! -- even though I only just now saw it for the first time! Sorry for my delay! Oh, I got chills reading your answer - - I almost had to leave "The Deer Hunter", too -- wait, I saw it alone in my living room -- I rented it, I think -- it was terrible to sit through for me, though ,it was excellent. I can understand your reasons both for that movie and "Poltergeist." You must have a beautiful daughter if she looked like that little Carole Ann actress.
    Thanks for answering, Thriftymaid!
      June 5, 2017 3:39 PM MDT

Just a one day after answering this question I was reading something and it referenced that little girl who played Carol Ann.  It said she died at age 12 because of a misdiagnosis.  I had never heard that. 
      June 5, 2017 7:41 PM MDT

Oh, wow!
    That's sad. I don't think I had heard that, either.

But now I'm thinking I might have heard something tragic about the actress who played the older sister in one of the Poltergeist sequels maybe. I just woke up in the middle of the night so I'm wide awake for some reason and perhaps not thinking correctly. This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at June 6, 2017 10:36 AM MDT
      June 5, 2017 11:01 PM MDT

No, not had that yet. I have stopped a movie to go do other things and because I partly enjoy that feeling of suspense.. the feeling that ohh this is exciting, I wonder what will happen.. To remain in that little bubble a little longer is kinda cool 
      May 27, 2017 2:12 AM MDT

Yes, I've done that, too!
    Thanks, Adaydreambeliever!
    Sorry for my delay in responding!
      June 5, 2017 3:43 PM MDT

I've only ever stopped watching a movie because it was too disgusting. Usually movies like those Saw movies with way too much torture and gore.

I think I've seen Funny Games. It was incredibly disturbing but I managed to sit through it, I don't think I want to watch it again because it's a little too much for me. This post was edited by Patchouli at June 5, 2017 3:44 PM MDT
      May 27, 2017 6:06 AM MDT

An Asker's Pick because you've seen "Funny Games!"
    I've only seen the original Austrian 1997 film, though director Haneke made, himself, the American remake.
    Yes, I've only watched the movie once- - VERY disturbing. But somehow a masterpiece for me.

The very first original "Saw" movie is a great movie for me. Then they just started to focus only on the torture and that was it for me. No more Saw movies. But the first one was more of a suspense/mystery to me - - PLOT SPOILER!!! SAW!!!  why are those two guys tied to the floor in that room? 

Also, a 'plus' for 1997 "Funny Games" - - as disturbing as it was, there was no gore.

Sorry for my delay in responding.
      June 5, 2017 3:49 PM MDT

not yet
      May 29, 2017 3:51 PM MDT

In some ways, that may be a good thing! Thanks, pearl!
    Sorry for my delay in responding.
      June 5, 2017 3:50 PM MDT