Active Now

Malizz
Thebigd
Discussion » Questions » Family » Continue contacting aunt?

Continue contacting aunt?

I have an aunt who had surgery last fall. I went to see her after she was there a few days and was bummed b/c she went home the morning I was heading in. I sent her a message to visit her at her  home (on FB which she is always on) and she never returned my message. She was on everyday and saw the message , and wrote to others, but not me, I felt so low. I then texted her a month later asking about her condition and got no reply again. I felt even lower. I thought about calling but after being ignored twice I did not. I know she is a phone person, but I am not and she does not even let me speak when we talk on phone... she recently had another surgery, more in depth , a week ago, and I wanted to surprise her in hospital and again,  they let her go the morning I was going in... Her daughter had told me she'd be there 2 more days, but guess she was mistaken too. I sent her a card a few days ago but don't know what to do.. she may be in rehab now but do I go? I feel like she didn't care to see me , answer me, or anything, and I just don't know what to do... I want to be there, yet it feels quite awkward. Ever had any similar experience ?

Posted - May 27, 2017

Responses

• you are a lot like me :) you keep posting same few problem over and over and over ....it's weird see someone else do that cos I kinda wanna slap you say" Smart'en Up!"  Pretty sure you know you should smarten up then... . Cos I know I should. no offence intense just OMG STOP. 
      May 27, 2017 10:50 PM MDT

Well it is the second time this has occurred so it is kind of a new issue, to me yet also happened in past... so the question is would you contact an aunt who has ignored you, even though she is family... would u visit her still ?
      May 27, 2017 10:55 PM MDT

• I see , I meant no offence by my answer. I guess I Remwber your other question about potentially cutting a family member out of your life cos I've had to do that. Sometimes it's nessasary for your sanity. I wish you all the best.
      May 27, 2017 11:01 PM MDT

Thx Jaimie; yes SANITY exactly. I feel like a yo yo and like my family (and friends) pull me whichever way they want and I'm always supposed to react kindly and consistently (and always have. )  I just can't believe she'd ignore me (aunt) over if I called her or not- I reached out via text and she ignored it and it felt lousy :( Ty for reminding me that sometimes it IS necessary to cut certain fam.
      May 27, 2017 11:04 PM MDT

• You're welcome. Best of luck to you 
      May 27, 2017 11:33 PM MDT

Hmmm tough one.. on the one hand you have family and past connection loyalty and on the other she seems disinterested.. personally I am a walker away when people seem to reject me.. if someone doesn't seem to want and welcome me then I would depart and wait for them to come to me.. if she cares then she will be in touch.. if she doesn't then why waste your time and effort... 

Hopefully that makes sense?  I can see you are a really good person and care and want to do the right thing.. but honestly she has had enough chances and has for whatever reason chosen not to take you up on them.. 

I'd leave it and let her come to you.. you have tried your best.
      May 28, 2017 5:57 AM MDT

Great reply. 
      May 28, 2017 7:48 AM MDT

Thank you so much. My family is VERY judgemental (one of the reasons I have anxiety as well) and I can literally just picture her saying to others 'she didn't call me on phone' or something.. even though I tried TWICE to visit, and also messaged and texted her. I know she has always seemed very wiry/almost manic in some ways, but dealt with it; but you are right, when you are trying and just ignored? It feels low and sad and I thank you for your words of kindness...
      May 28, 2017 8:13 AM MDT

Baybreeze, there is only so much you can do in a situation like this.  Personally, I wouldn't bother trying anymore.  Don't feel sad, it sounds like your aunt is the one with a problem, not you!
      May 28, 2017 8:23 AM MDT

Thanks SA I appreciate your feedback and wishes to me .... *hugg
      May 28, 2017 7:52 PM MDT

Big hugs Baybreeze. 
      May 29, 2017 7:12 AM MDT

dont sound like she wants you to contact her
      May 28, 2017 4:37 PM MDT