Discussion » Questions » Death and Dying » Is it wise to memorialize wars or un? Why?

Is it wise to memorialize wars or un? Why?

Posted - May 29, 2017

Responses

• No it's not but Memorial Day is a day of remembrance for all the men and women who died for their country! That's what Memorial Day is really about. I have many that are gone and I'll never forget!
      May 29, 2017 6:17 AM MDT

Condolences to you for all those you lost Rooster. We don't wish a "Happy Memorial Day" to folks do we? No one who has lost someone and remembers him/her/them can possibly be "happy". It is a somber and sober day. I think as much because we realize it will always be this way as it is for remembering those who lost  their lives in wars. We choose war. We wage war.  We pursue war. We are actively involved in the promulgation of war. Human nature. SIGH. Thank you for your reply and Happy Tuesday m'dear! :)
      May 30, 2017 3:39 AM MDT

We honour the sacrifice made by our servicemen and women - not war itself. It's also to reflect on the futility of war, and to strive to make the world a better place where conflict is unnecessary. Why do you think that President Eisenhower was a peacemaker? He'd experienced the horror of war first hand, that's why.
      May 29, 2017 7:06 AM MDT

We choose war Sbf. We seek it out and set up situations that will insure that we are engaged in war. It seems to be human nature to do so. That is very depressing. Which war was supposed to be "the war to end all wars"?  It wasn't and didn't and never will. So we honor the fallen. Repeatedly.  The players change but the story remains the same. We know how it ends. More war. Thank you for your reply and Happy Tuesday! :)
      May 30, 2017 3:42 AM MDT

I am not a fan of war, and I would never condone glorification of war.. but as others have said, it's important that we remember and learn from war.. it's vital that we don't ever forget the human cost of war.
      May 29, 2017 8:51 AM MDT

• well stated daydream. I couldn't have said it better.
      May 29, 2017 11:58 AM MDT

We don't learn from it Addb. That's the problem. We learn nothing from it. We keep repeating it and always will. Apparently human beings NEED war so they create situations to insure it. Years ago there was a war that was supposed to be "the war to end all wars". Of course there is no such thing. And so it goes. Thank you for your reply. :)
      May 30, 2017 3:44 AM MDT

Not wars, but those who served their countries and made the ultimate sacrifice. 
      May 29, 2017 8:54 AM MDT

I'll file that under the "those who do not study history are condemned to repeat it" file.

May 29, 2017 9:28 AM MDT

There will always be war Sharonna. Human beings require it for some reason I cannot fathom so they either lie us into them or set up situations that will guarantee more war. It is never-ending and dependably reliable. Humans make a great deal of money on manufacturing/selling "war toys". Money is the driver for humankind apparently. They will do whatever it takes to make more of it including killing one another. I believe it is a hopeless dream to think that we learn a dam* thing from any wars. We don't. We mourn the dead and make grand speeches..pompous speeches. And we continue to engage in more wars. Empty words. Meaningless. SIGH. Thank you for your reply and Happy Tuesday! :) This post was edited by RosieG at May 30, 2017 3:50 AM MDT
      May 30, 2017 3:47 AM MDT

i dont think so
      May 29, 2017 1:33 PM MDT

Randy's gonna have a field day with that question :p
      May 29, 2017 5:39 PM MDT

Like Rooster said, Memorial Day is about remembering the fallen. We can and should, honor the people who have given their lives for this country. Memorial day isn't about whether you support war(s). It's not even about our active military. It's about those who have been lost.
      May 29, 2017 11:55 PM MDT

What have we learned from wars JA? Apparently nothing since we continue to lie ourselves into them or set up situations to guarantee them. We mourn the and speak loving about them and remember. Repeatedly. I see no growth or progress or desire to end wars. So memorializing the fallen is noble. It would be more noble to  end need for them to die don't you think? Thank you for your reply and Happy Tuesday.
      May 30, 2017 3:52 AM MDT

I don't think you should entangle the two- you can do both, but I don't think it's right to gloss over honoring the fallen because you don't like the war. I hate war. I disagree with most conflicts we enter. I love our soldiers, our veterans, our fallen. I won't build my case for ending wars on a day of remembrance. It's like going to a funeral and griping that the deceased should have done something else with his life. I'm pretty sure most people would agree that would be tacky/ classless/ disrespectful.
      May 30, 2017 1:17 PM MDT