Active Now

Element 99
Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Emotions » Since I'm a zero when the topic is about 'drinks', what does 'stiffen' and 'soften' mean?

Since I'm a zero when the topic is about 'drinks', what does 'stiffen' and 'soften' mean?

Posted - May 31, 2017

Responses

• A "stiff drink" is just a strong drink, one with more alcohol than mixers. So stiffen would mean put more alcohol in it. I sometimes call that "Irishing it up".

I've never heard "soften" used in the context of alcoholic drinks. To me, "soft drink" only means "soda".

I'm not an expert. My drinking is fairly low-brow. When I drink, I drink to get drunk, and I tend to drink random spirits mixed with random fruit juice; there's little art to it :D This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at June 1, 2017 12:33 PM MDT
      May 31, 2017 9:13 PM MDT

Oh very interesting....thanks Nevan;))
      May 31, 2017 9:41 PM MDT

i have no idea, i dont drink myself
      May 31, 2017 9:43 PM MDT

oh, thanks Pearl!
      May 31, 2017 11:06 PM MDT

To stiffen aa drink is to add more alcohol. I've never heard of softening a drink, but softening water (by filtration or adding chemical reagents) is done some places where the water has a high mineral content - called "hard water". Soap won't lather and it plays hell with your plumbing, so the water is "softened".
      June 1, 2017 1:50 AM MDT