Active Now

ENG / LLVF - formerly of AB
my2cents
Zack
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » "Where there's life there's hope". Do you believe that or do you think it's just bull? Why?

"Where there's life there's hope". Do you believe that or do you think it's just bull? Why?

Posted - June 5, 2017

Responses

Where there is God there is always hope. 

Why fear?  In the End that is all that matters.
      June 5, 2017 2:06 PM MDT

Thank you for your reply Shar and Happy Tuesday! :)
      June 6, 2017 3:10 AM MDT

i think its true
      June 5, 2017 5:51 PM MDT

Thank you for your reply pearl and Happy Tuesday! :)
      June 6, 2017 3:11 AM MDT

To a point. To a person in the end stages of cancer, it's empty. However, I know a little girl whose mother was told "turn the machine off, it's hopeless" seven years ago. The child does have some physical disabilities, but also has an IQ above 160.
      June 5, 2017 6:18 PM MDT

Good god I could NEVER turn the machine off my child!. I cannot even conceive of such a thing!. Glad that mother's love prevailed. Good for her! Thank you for sharing that with us Sbf and Happy Tuesday. I know that life is very precious to me and I think I'd put up with a lot to stay alive. Of course until you are there you can't know. :)
      June 6, 2017 3:09 AM MDT

"hope" is a bullsh*t concept that was necessarily invented by humans to keep them surviving on an emotional and spiritual level, and thus on a physical level as well.

June 5, 2017 10:16 PM MDT

You might be right nL but I hope you're wrong. See? I just said "I hope". I guess I'm one of those to whom you allude. I cain't hep it! Thank you for your reply and Happy Tuesday!  :)
      June 6, 2017 3:13 AM MDT

hope is a beautiful thing, some people need it more than others, while for others it keeps being a source of more misery..

Rumi says: 

"There is a secret medicine given only to those who hurt so hard they can't hope. 
    The hopers would feel slighted if they knew."

I like to think I'm on my way to taste that medicine, or at least..... I "hope" so. :)
      June 7, 2017 4:30 PM MDT

• yes... but only if you hold it.

"You think ‘Okay, I get it, I’m prepared for the worst’, but you hold out that small hope, see, and that’s what f***s you up. That’s what kills you." ~ Stephen KIng

(not sure what profanity is allowed where just yet, but i hope that's censored enough)
      June 5, 2017 11:55 PM MDT

You're fine censorshipwise. I say sh** and bullsh** all the time depending upon the context. So far so good! I love the look of asterisks. Haven't figured out yet how I would pronouce sh** but it matters not. I'm not a fan of Stephen King. His stories scare the sh** outta me so I leave him to others who have the stomach for them. I can't know how I'd be at death's door but I think I would hold on to hope until I am no more. It doesn't cost a thing. What could it hurt? Thank you for your reply lq and welcome to Answermug. Thanks for dropping by and Happy Tuesday to you! :)                            
      June 6, 2017 3:16 AM MDT

• oh, good. wasn't sure if i'd be admonished for the 'f word' or not, but i really like that quote about hope. (haven't run into a profanity filter anywhere yet.) other than S.K.'s quotes, i'm not a major fan of his works or anything like that. i read "Skeleton Crew" (a book of short stories), and "Misery", as well seeing the movie adaptation for the latter. horror is not my bag, either.

at death's door, hmm... i don't think any of us, that are presently alive, really know if we'd hold out hope, even if we suspect what we'd feel like or do. many accounts of such that i've read quote survivors of near death experiences as having given up all hope and being at peace with the end. but i've never read an account of anyone who had more than one close-call. and, of course, those who end their own lives obviously give up hope in order to follow through. anyway... many people do hold out hope and do survive grievous illness or injury, and you're right... it doesn't cost a thing, even if one doesn't survive, unless that thing is peace of mind. hope is usually viewed as something positive, but for others it might be emotional torture. of course we need a certain amount of hope in our lives to actively search for peace of mind. this is becoming a bit convoluted, though, so i'll give it a rest.

thank you for the warm welcome. i was here before the new site launch many moons ago, and a former SodaHead as well. same moniker as then, too. happy Tuesday to you as well, RosieG! =) thanks, again.
      June 6, 2017 1:04 PM MDT

There is hope for the living and even for those that have fallen asleep in death. Hope is a quality every true Christian needs to develop and cultivate. 
      June 7, 2017 12:09 AM MDT