Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » Do you try to stay in shape for looks or health?

Do you try to stay in shape for looks or health?

Be honest , thanks :) Also, how DO you usually stay on track/fit?

Posted - June 5, 2017

Responses

• vanity.

it does make me feel better, and i hope it might prolong my general health, but mostly i just want to look good.
      June 5, 2017 10:21 PM MDT

That's good Little Q, I get on a track of wanting to be 'in shape' but within a few months I just say 'who cares?' and gain weight and I just hate that cycle. I guess either looking good or opting for feeling good can go hand in hand ... ty
      June 5, 2017 11:09 PM MDT

You make good points here to me, Baybreeze. I can relate a bit, though I tend to stay at the same weight with extreme exercise that helps keep my mind calm -- that's my main incentive when it comes down to it for me, I think.
    :)
      June 5, 2017 11:26 PM MDT

• i don't know what forms of exercise you've tried to get into, but you may want to look for something that seems less like exercise and more like an activity. something that makes the time seem like it goes by fast, such as yoga, tai chi, or even rebounding. heck, even just walking is fantastic. in fact, it's the most safe form of exercise with the most proven benefits.

to be honest, i get out of my exercise routine in the coldest and hottest months of the year. it's always regrettable when trying to start back up.
      June 5, 2017 11:30 PM MDT

For health. Then as a healthy person I feel good and look good, enjoy a good quality of life.
    Avoid much junk food and sugary stuff. Stay active. 
    Oops -I am still trying to quit smoking though. 
      June 5, 2017 10:43 PM MDT

I like that, begin with being healthy, and looking/feeling good will follow anyway... yes please QUIT soon friend- so bad for your lungs (huge part of your health).. you'll DO it don't worry!!!!!! Huggg and ty for your reply
      June 5, 2017 11:10 PM MDT

To be honest ~ I like to try to look like what I would call "hot," like other hot guys whom I find "hot." I do OK at that when I give myself credit on a good day.

But being "blessed" with an anxiety disorder, extreme exercise is one of the best and most beneficial managing tools for my anxiety and it's that mental calmness that goes along with the exercise that keeps me coming back to exercise. (But I don't eat often enough and/or so well when I do eat, though.)
    So, my incentive to look good actually comes from an incentive to feel good mentally and healthily.
    If that makes any sense! Ha!
      June 5, 2017 11:31 PM MDT

I like that, it doesn't seem vain actually when you said you like to look 'hot' like the guys whom you find hot... b/c if they do it, it is def. ok hehehe :) Nice wordage - try to eat mini meals throughout day though; it fuels metabolism!! Ty W!
      June 6, 2017 7:12 AM MDT

Thanks, Baybreeze!
    Yes, I've often read about the mini-meals type of eating. I maybe should try it.
      June 6, 2017 9:37 AM MDT

Yes I once was watching the show, My Fat Fabulous Life on TLC and the woman was telling her trainer that she had not eaten all day (it was 2pm)... mainly because she was trying to save calories for later, and also because she said she didn't like when people saw her eating, they  might be judging her. The trainer looked at her and said 'What!! no food today and it is 2?? you could have had 3 -4 opportunities for healthy snacks or a meal' So even he was saying to lose weight, you still have to give small increments of fuel all day; I've heard  cheese sticks, fruit, pretzels, peanutbutter, all are good!! I need to do this MORE as well :)
      June 6, 2017 2:19 PM MDT

Thanks for more detail on this, Baybreeze!
      June 6, 2017 3:32 PM MDT

For me, it's 51% for looks and 49% for my health. 

(Wait, make that 60/40.)
    ~
      June 5, 2017 11:32 PM MDT

Excellent answer, Randy D! And much more concise than my excessive verbage. (Is "verbage" a word? I don't know at this late moment.)
    Nice image there, too! This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at June 6, 2017 12:32 AM MDT
      June 5, 2017 11:37 PM MDT

Nice statistic!!! I like it :)
      June 6, 2017 7:09 AM MDT

Of those two, I would say health. I do it to have a better quality of life, to stay strong and independent.  I do it because it makes me feel good. I work out at the Y and I like using the various machines and tracking my progress. I also work with a personal trainer who motivates and guides me in doing strength exercises. They key is to find what YOU like, not what someone else likes. Most people I talk to to don't like the machines and yet that's my favorite part. Other people like taking classes and I prefer to workout at my own pace and on my own schedule. 
      June 6, 2017 12:31 AM MDT

Which YMCA do you attend, please?
    ~
      June 6, 2017 1:29 AM MDT

The one with all the hot chicks.
      June 6, 2017 7:37 AM MDT

I'll also need to know the days and times you go there, where you usually park, and whether or not they have adequate security there. Thanks. 

(Please don't get nervous; I'm only asking for a friend.)

~
      June 6, 2017 6:35 AM MDT

I'm there most days for hours at a time, I park in the 'Reserved for Seniors and Special Needs' spots and the gym is filled with bodybuilders, so no security is required. Give my regards to your 'friend' and tell him the restraining order is still in effect. This post was edited by Jane S at June 6, 2017 7:24 PM MDT
      June 6, 2017 7:40 AM MDT

Are you the one who wears the silk-lined Depends or the lace-lined ones?  (My friend wouldn't want to approach the wrong woman.)
    ~
      June 8, 2017 9:34 PM MDT