Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » What big opportunity in your life was well within your grasp and you foolishly let it slip away?

What big opportunity in your life was well within your grasp and you foolishly let it slip away?

For me, it was marrying a very good man in a very good family when I was 24.
There were others also, but none so good as that one. 

Posted - June 13, 2017

Responses

Years and and years ago when I was a single man, I recognised that choosing to date a particular woman instead of another has outcomes that can potentially move life in certain directions.  This became even more pronounced when I eventually married. I hadn't considered marrying one woman over another, it was more along the lines of asking myself the what-ifs. I could have married her six months or a year later than I did, and we would have had more time to get to know each other better, and time fir both of us to mature more (I was 22 years old).

In another example, I found out when it was much, much too late that my former stepfather would have been willing to pay for my college education. I joined the military immediately after high school as opposed to going to college. One of the reasons was that I thought that there was no way financially that I could attend college. Had I known that it was a viable option, I could have still joined the Marine Corps, but I could have done so as an commissioned officer instead as an enlisted man. 

~
    This post was edited by Randy D at June 13, 2017 5:24 PM MDT
      June 13, 2017 6:43 AM MDT

• Any regrets in either case, Randy? 
      June 13, 2017 6:59 AM MDT

Both my wife and I recognized after we had married that we were too young at the time and that we should have known each other better than we did. The regrets come from that realization: we could have avoided a lot of problems and obstacles had we not been in such a hurry. 

As for the college and military angle, that's more of a toss-up. As deeply invested as I was being an enlisted man, as much as I loved being a Marine, as much as I reflect on the great experiences that I had, I wonder if it all would have been enhanced had I been an officer. Truth be told, there were some parts of being enlisted that officers don't/can't enjoy, but the exact same thing can be said of being an officer too. 
    ~ This post was edited by Randy D at June 13, 2017 9:42 AM MDT
      June 13, 2017 7:16 AM MDT

No.  There were what seemed like "big opportunities" but thank goodness I asked the right questions and never had a problem saying no.    The "big opportunities" that I chose to plunge into were all and still are good. 
      June 13, 2017 5:28 PM MDT

yes, there were jobs i wish i had taken now and not listened to others that were telling me not to
      June 13, 2017 5:51 PM MDT