Active Now

Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Television and Movies » About Alfred Hitchcock's 1936 film "Sabotage" . . .

About Alfred Hitchcock's 1936 film "Sabotage" . . .

. . . have you seen "Sabotage?" { not Hitchcock's "Saboteur" }

~ terribly exciting and suspenseful film for me!! And from what I've read (I believe I am correct here), this movie has THE only scene of ALL of his films that Alfred Hitchcock himself says he would completely change if he had the chance. He found the scene a terrible mistake.
I find it the best scene in the entire movie! And a grand movie it is!

Posted - June 16, 2017

Responses

DA*N IT!! I had a great image to post and it didn't post I'll try to put it in an answer.

UPDATE!! Finally got it to post!

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at June 22, 2017 5:42 AM MDT
      June 16, 2017 3:49 PM MDT

Hi Welby.  I haven't seen that movie in years!  I remember I loved it & Siliva Sidney was wonderful but I am very fuzzy on the details.  This will go on my "to be re-screened" list.  Thanks for the reminder. :-)
      June 16, 2017 4:56 PM MDT

YES! Sylvia Sidney is in it!! She is, indeed, phenomenal in it! I have chills on my arms as I type. I'm very excited you know of the movie! If you watch it again, let me know if you want to know the scene Hitchcock regrets.
    :) Or I can tell you now if you wish. Up to you.
    :)

You're welcome for my reminder! This movie might be my favorite Hitchcock film! And I really like so many of his!
    There are scenes in this movie that I was squirming with "uncomfortableness." This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at June 22, 2017 5:42 AM MDT
      June 16, 2017 5:03 PM MDT

Yes!  I would love that!  Hit me with some knowledge baby! ;-)
      June 16, 2017 6:32 PM MDT

HUGE PLOT SPOILER for "SABOTAGE!!!" AND I MEAN HUGE!!!!
    NO ONE READ ON IF YOU PLAN ON WATCHING THE MOVIE!!

~ the scene Hitchcock regrets involves the image I posted; the boy does not know that he is carrying a hidden bomb in his arms. We, the audience, know he is carrying a bomb, though. And the boy innocently thinks he is just taking the stuff to someone across town and he takes his time, soaking in the sights of the city. The bomb, with the boy holding it, suddenly blows up on a bus. Hitchcock, from what I remember reading, believes it was a mistake to have the boy killed.
    The whole scene with the boy walking all over the place - - very suspenseful and then when the bomb explodes, it's devastating -- and, to me, it hits home on how serious the plot has become. And we, the audience, have developed a liking for this boy and he is suddenly dead. Very effective and disturbing to me. 

If Hitchcock somehow changed it and had the boy not killed --  well, Hitch could make anything work well. But I think the movie as it is, is pretty gosh darn great!

Oh, and like I said, I believe this scene is the only scene Hitchcock ever regretted in all his films. This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at June 22, 2017 5:43 AM MDT
      June 16, 2017 6:42 PM MDT

I remember that scene!  IMO it was pivotal to the movie plot.  I didn't know he regretted it.  I agree with you completely.  Frankly, if he changed it, I don't think it would have had the same impact.  

Thanks again for reminding me about it. :-) 
      June 16, 2017 7:03 PM MDT

Sure thing, Harry!
      June 19, 2017 6:36 PM MDT

Hi Harry!
    After reading Randy D's recent answer, I tried looking up any information about the scene. I wanted to share with you what I found on a very brief search. I may be wrong about this "Sabotage" scene but I don't think so, regardless of a statement from someone in a link I found. I just wanted to let you know of the possibility I may be wrong about the "Sabotage" scene.
    Here's in part what I wrote as an "update" to Randy D under his answer.

UPDATE: Maybe I'm wrong about the scene. According to Post #89 in the following link, it was a scene from "Foreign Correspondent" Hitchcock regretted. Yet, this link seems to be a social site with people talking and posting. I didn't look closely. I still stand by my belief about this scene in "Sabotage," though. At the time I read about this "Sabotage" scene, I believe it was soon after my first viewing of the film. I remember how the film blew me away (no pun intended) - - I had really not heard of the movie before and I found it superb. And when, by chance, I read about this scene Hitchcock had regretted, it stuck with me because I remembered the scene so well in a movie I had recently seen and liked. 
    I just wanted to put it out there that I may be wrong, though.

https://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/30230-the-world-of-alfred-hitchcock/page-5

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at June 22, 2017 6:15 PM MDT
      June 22, 2017 8:57 AM MDT

If I find anything else out about any of this, I'll let you know.
    Be Well,
    WelbyQ
    :) This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at June 22, 2017 6:07 PM MDT
      June 22, 2017 9:09 AM MDT

!!!!!
    I guess be careful!
    -- that link I provided -- I just looked it up and my computer says my connection at the site was not private. Maybe that's just my computer itself and not the link site. But I wanted to let you know.
      June 22, 2017 9:13 AM MDT

No honey.  I received that same warning notice.  Frankly, I will take your memory over what an unknown quantity is spitting out.  What you explained makes a lot of sense to me. :-)
      June 22, 2017 6:09 PM MDT

Thanks, Harry!
      June 22, 2017 6:17 PM MDT

never seen it
      June 17, 2017 5:57 PM MDT

That's a great movie, Welby!  Thanks for the background information about the scene Hitchcock regretted, I love that kind of trivia. 
    ~
      June 22, 2017 5:45 AM MDT

You're welcome, Randy D! I do like that movie, too!
    I wish I had the source from which I read about that scene. Like I said, I do believe I'm correct about it - - I have no reason to have thought it up on my own. As Harry and I said, that scene is incredibly good. I can't imagine it being so effective being different.

UPDATE: Maybe I'm wrong about the scene. According to Post #89 in the following link, it was a scene from "Foreign Correspondent" Hitchcock regretted. Yet, this link seems to be a social site with people talking and posting. I didn't look closely. I still stand by my belief about this scene in "Sabotage," though. At the time I read about this "Sabotage" scene, I believe it was soon after my first viewing of the film. I remember how the film blew me away (no pun intended) - - I had really not heard of the movie before and I found it superb. And when, by chance, I read about this scene Hitchcock had regretted, it stuck with me because I remembered the scene so well in a movie I had recently seen and liked.
    I just wanted to put it out there that I may be wrong, though.

https://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/30230-the-world-of-alfred-hitchcock/page-5

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at June 22, 2017 6:14 PM MDT
      June 22, 2017 8:42 AM MDT

Hi, again, Randy D! Just in case you hadn't seen it, I just added an update to my recent comment to you. I guess I may be wrong about this "Sabotage" scene -- but maybe not. Who knows? Hitchcock may have said many things in interviews in a similar way. Anyway, I gave a link, too, in case you might be interested.
    Be Well,
    WelbyQ

If I find out anything else, I'll let you know.
      June 22, 2017 9:07 AM MDT

!!!!!
    I guess be careful!
    -- that link I provided -- I just looked it up and my computer says my connection at the site was not private. Maybe that's just my computer itself and not the link site. But I wanted to let you know.
      June 22, 2017 9:13 AM MDT