Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Jobs » Would you ask for partial payment for a missed day your boss canceled you on?

Would you ask for partial payment for a missed day your boss canceled you on?

I am in child care and have had my hours cut b/c the woman I help has had a new baby, and is at home. She told me I'd have a certain number of hours but has still been giving me low ones lately, and this is my lifeline...I've read and heard from other nannies that if they are canceled by their parent/boss, they receive half or full pay ... she has now canceled twice on me in two weeks with no talk of anything. Would you ask, could you do partial payment? I was already receiving lower hours now, despite her telling me a different thing , and while I don't want to appear pushy, I've let stepped over boundaries go before. I have heard if it was a one time sitting shift, then no pay for a cancel, but if the person is with the family on a regular basis she should be paid at least partial for that day ... would you just let it go (once again) or say anything? *I'm already searching other avenues /family as well*

Posted - June 17, 2017

Responses

No.  I want to keep my job.
      June 17, 2017 12:51 PM MDT

i probably wouldnt ask, i would just go work for someone else
      June 17, 2017 2:00 PM MDT

Depends on the job. i had one where sometimes we were expected to come in on our off day.. and other times we werent' needed so we didn't get paid... i let that go as there were good and bad... 

In your position it's perhaps different... and I do think that if she keeps cancelling you are going to have to say something. 

Best of all perhaps find another client to child mind for?   She doesn't seem very reliable...
      June 17, 2017 3:41 PM MDT

Ty Daydream... I appreciate your thoughts always! I let it go, twice now.. as nothing was in writing, but I thought maybe she'd do half after all the times I've stayed late for her at last minute. I guess it doesn't mean much to just cancel me two hours before I'm supposed to be there.. I think she thinks b/c this is through a fam. acquaintance, that I'm not a 'true' child care providor.. ??? or, that she can bend many things... either way it doesn't feel good b/c I've cared for her child and taught him, and stayed late, and I guess if it continues I'll look for alternate options too... ty so much!
      June 17, 2017 7:10 PM MDT

It's too late for that if you didn't discuss it before taking the job. In the future, you should consider stating the minimum number of hours you need to be paid for whether you are asked to work them or not.
      June 17, 2017 5:09 PM MDT

• I suspect that if you do don't have a written, legally binding contract you are without recourse.
      June 17, 2017 5:25 PM MDT

Yeah you are right. I thought maybe she'd offer half.. but it is obvious my hours don't mean much or time...Even if we could have made up the day another time... she did not say anything.. it really makes me feel low b/c I'm there every time and always stay late. :/ oh well.. ty
      June 17, 2017 7:08 PM MDT

No, I wouldn't ask for any pay unless it was outlined in the contract.

I know I've said this before, but you should draw up a contract and discuss it with her- not so you have something to hold over her head and not so you can take her to court if she dodges (it won't be worth the expense anyway), but so the two of you can discuss terms and be on the same page. You must establish a contract with her or you are both likely to remain unsatisfied.
      June 18, 2017 1:15 PM MDT