Active Now

Element 99
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » answerMug » What purpose does telling us that 'this question was edited at 3 o'clock" or whatever time it was edited? Why do we care?

What purpose does telling us that 'this question was edited at 3 o'clock" or whatever time it was edited? Why do we care?

Posted - June 20, 2017

Responses

For clarity. It cold explain an off-topic response made by somebody before that time.
      June 20, 2017 6:42 AM MDT

That makes no sense.   The question is being edited, not the response.   And if a response is edited, well same difference. 

If that makes it clearer, okay, then I get it.   I don't see the necessity.    It's no big deal, it is just strange to me. This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at June 20, 2017 9:11 AM MDT
      June 20, 2017 6:48 AM MDT

(Sharonna, he's right: the edit notification only works on comments or responses. If you post a question and then edit it, that notification doesn't show up.)

Ok, I think I spend a little TOO much time on AnswerMug.

~
      June 20, 2017 6:59 AM MDT

• You got that right, so why do YOU care?
      June 20, 2017 6:44 AM MDT

Asking why something is in place that makes little sense to me, does not speak of my caring or not caring. 

It is there every time I edit and I have been editing for many many moons. So if it took me this long to inquire, OBVIOUSLY I DO NOT CARE ALL THAT MUCH NOW DO I?
      June 20, 2017 6:47 AM MDT

• Then don't waste your time with inane questions .. 
      June 20, 2017 6:49 AM MDT

I don't like that feature either. I go around it by deleting and re-posting my response, but I have to be quick and get it done before any subsequent comments are made by others, or those are lost too.
    ~
      June 20, 2017 6:48 AM MDT

You GET AROUND IT? 

WHY?

Who cares?  No one even bothers to notice except the person doing the editing.   I edit most everything I write by typing, posting and re-reading.  So, most of my stuff carries that message.  WHO CARES?  This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at June 20, 2017 7:00 AM MDT
      June 20, 2017 6:50 AM MDT

1. You edit too much. I've learned that I have to wait several eons to respond to you because no one ever knows when your posts truly end. (I'm joking; you know how much I love you, Big Sis.)

2. You know about my psychosis in regard to typos and such: I simply have to edit so that no one can see my mistakes. If I do it without deleting first, my adoring public might think I'm mortal. The horror!

I care, that's who. 
    ~
      June 20, 2017 6:57 AM MDT

• Indeed and part of that demon is that it gets passed on to others. I know ... I "get around it too." (Oh, the shame of it all.)
      June 20, 2017 9:16 AM MDT

Have you become mentally ill?   How about sticking with facts?   I edit because I write THINKING as I write.  Of course, it needs to be cleaned up and sometimes it needs time to put in everything I want to contain. 

Since when is editing a problem?  Only to those who see my name (karen) and want to knee-jerk an answer before I am through.  What is the darned hurry, people?  This is not something that is going to be broadcast on the news any minute and time is of the essence.

For your INFORMATION:   I post more answers in a half hour than most people do in a week on here.  So.... I would say my powers of editing are very formidable and I manage very well with the silly punctuation marks you overly concern yourself with.  This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at June 20, 2017 9:25 AM MDT
      June 20, 2017 9:22 AM MDT

A very good remedy that will often work is to write you post in notepad, and then proof-read it for errors before you post it.

But be warned, it is not an easy thing to do. When we read something we ourselves wrote it is quite easy to read what we intended to write, rather than what we actually wrote. Waiting 5 minutes before reading your own text help a bit but not much, especially not if you just sit there waiting. Doing something entirely else for 5 minutes is better, it gets you out of 'the groove' you were thinking in while writing.

This post was edited by JakobA the unAmerican. at June 21, 2017 12:11 PM MDT
      June 20, 2017 10:36 PM MDT

Jakob, she's going to chew you to pieces for that suggestion. To which hospital shall I send the flowers?

~
      June 20, 2017 10:55 PM MDT

Not worried, I am some 4000 miles away, she would get caught up in something else on the way.
      June 21, 2017 11:37 AM MDT

we dont except maybe the person that asked it
      June 20, 2017 2:58 PM MDT