Active Now

Chief Ten Beers
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Was there ever a time when you feared something greatly, but overcame it?

Was there ever a time when you feared something greatly, but overcame it?

I'm not talking like if you feared spiders, but are ok now with them.. but along the lines of life altering, like maybe fearing planes and it held you back at your job that traveled, but you overcame it.

Posted - June 25, 2017

Responses

There was an extremely important transition point in my life that I was facing with trepidation, and as its impending date loomed closer and closer, I was petrified as to what my next step would be, how I would survive. I had made tentative plans in preparation for it, but nothing was concrete, and I didn't know if I would sink or swim. 
    When it finally happened, there were parts of it that were definitely rough patches, but I didn't let doubts about it consume me or torment me day and night.  Instead of being as bad as I thought it would be, other aspects of everyday living were really, really good during that time, and I eventually made it through the tunnel. 
    When I think back to that dark time, I recognize that others in the same situation did not or do not fare as well as I did, but also that others fare or have fared better than I did. 

I've never suffered from depression, so I know that people who do suffer from it have a much different outlook on everyday occurrences and even worse, on extremely difficult hurdles.  

(Forgive me for not giving specific details, it's too personal an issue to share that openly Here here.)

~
    This post was edited by Randy D at June 25, 2017 7:27 PM MDT
      June 25, 2017 2:16 PM MDT

Whatever it was it sounds like a strong will to survive and go on was present... ty R.
      June 25, 2017 6:02 PM MDT

Yes, i have, quite a few times... I am naturally a shy wuss... I never go out of my way to be noticed or to do anything heroic, or brave... but  I seem to have this little spark in me.. a feel the fear and do  it anyway... it usually works out ok for me :)
      June 25, 2017 3:41 PM MDT

no, usually if i have fears i tend to keep them
      June 25, 2017 4:29 PM MDT

• My father. No.
      June 25, 2017 7:34 PM MDT