Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » Irony. Half the Christians I know think that GOD is on their side. Isn't it weird that Jesus wasn't a Christian? Who's side was HE on?

Irony. Half the Christians I know think that GOD is on their side. Isn't it weird that Jesus wasn't a Christian? Who's side was HE on?

Posted - June 28, 2017

Responses

on the side of the Absolute Truth
    that Christ Consciousness is within you
    and can be experienced
      June 28, 2017 9:39 AM MDT

I am going to go out on a limb and answer as if this is a sincere question.

Not sure in what way they are meaning Jesus is on their side? Politics, wars, worldly things, Jesus doesn't take sides in. We should all be trying to be on Jesus side, so to speak. He told us how to recognize his true followers:
    (John 13:35) By this all will know that you are my disciples—if you have love among yourselves.”

Christian just means a follower of Christ so no, Jesus wasn't a Christian, He is the Christ.

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1200000967?q=christian&p=par
    CHRISTIAN
    The Latinized Greek term Khri·sti·a·nosʹ, found only three times in the Christian Greek Scriptures, designates followers of Christ Jesus, the exponents of Christianity.—Ac 11:26; 26:28; 1Pe 4:16.
    “It was first in Antioch [Syria] that the disciples were by divine providence called Christians.” (Ac 11:26) It is possible, then, that this name was used as early as the year 44 C.E. when the events surrounding this text occurred, although the grammatical structure of this phrase does not necessarily make it so; some think it was a little later. At any rate, by about 58 C.E., in the city of Caesarea, the term was well known and used even by public officials, for at that time King Herod Agrippa II said to Paul: “In a short time you would persuade me to become a Christian.”—Ac 26:28.
    Bible writers in addressing fellow believers or describing followers of Christ used expressions such as “believers in the Lord,” “brothers” and “disciples” (Ac 5:14; 6:3; 15:10), “chosen ones” and “faithful ones” (Col 3:12; 1Ti 4:12), “slaves to God” and “slaves of Christ Jesus” (Ro 6:22; Php 1:1), “holy ones,” “congregation of God,” and “those who call upon the Lord.” (Ac 9:13; 20:28; 1Co 1:2; 2Ti 2:22) These terms with doctrinal meaning were used primarily as internal congregational designations. To outsiders Christianity was referred to as “The Way” (Ac 9:2; 19:9, 23; 22:4), and opponents called it “the sect of the Nazarenes” or just “this sect.”—Ac 24:5; 28:22.
    It was first in Syrian Antioch that Christ’s followers became known as Christians. It is most unlikely that the Jews first styled Jesus’ followers “Christians” (Greek) or “Messianists” (Hebrew), for they would not reject Jesus as being the Messiah, or Christ, and then tacitly recognize him as the Anointed One, or Christ, by stamping his followers “Christians.” Some think the heathen population may have nicknamed them Christians out of jest or scorn, but the Bible shows that it was a God-given name; they “were by divine providence called Christians.”—Ac 11:26.

June 28, 2017 10:04 AM MDT

Get rid of the long winded quote and I'll listen.  Didn't read it.  If you listen to Pearl,  you just might learn a thing or two.  Humble, yet accurate and not quoting someone else's words that you interpret to feed your ego.

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at June 28, 2017 12:38 PM MDT
      June 28, 2017 12:15 PM MDT

I have a friend who is longwinded like that.
    I hate to ask her just about anything because it takes her forever to get to the point.
    I just zone people out like that.
      June 28, 2017 12:41 PM MDT

Well, this is worse.  It is like I have been studying all night?  And you are not remotely interested in my subjects but I just HAVE to quote you paragraph after paragraph because I cannot think of an answer any other way and I am so darned insecure, I depend on the words of others to impress you, rather than think for myself.  This insults you. Your intelligence. (because I am too silly to realize you are on to me and see right through me) And your purpose as a listener.  I should respect the fact that you are open to an exchange from ME, not whatever Bible or textbook I am reading.

June 28, 2017 11:42 PM MDT

And right away he starts putting you down because you didn't jump thru hoops for him.
    It's not healthy to be so obsessed with a religion that they can't have a conversation or make a comment without bringing religion into it.
    I would think that if people wanted to know the bibles view on a subject they would ask instead of getting it shoved down their throats.
      June 29, 2017 9:40 AM MDT

Sorry, I mistook your question for a sincere one. Your comment: "Isn't it weird that Jesus wasn't a Christian?" shows you need to read more than just one liner answers. 
    Although knowing your habit of being hostile, I tried to be respectful but you want have anything to do with that.
    Was Satya Sai Baba a Satya Sai Baba devotee? Makes about as much sense as Jesus being a Christian.

June 28, 2017 1:03 PM MDT

When it comes to God talk, I am deadly serious and I do not suffer fools who quote and talk AT me.  I am not some tape recorder that you can just blab anything that comes into your head to.

You know?

I have discussions and conversations ABOUT what God means to each of us.  Not what Bettlejuice or whomever prophet you are trying to quote thinks about God.

Now that last comment of yours?  That at least speaks to me of YOUR thoughts and from where you stand, I can totally appreciate why you would say that.  Thank YOU.  Thank you, Tex for finally stating an original statement from your own head.

I can understand that.  I am afraid to answer lest you bombard me with more passages, but Thank you.  I respect that. This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at June 28, 2017 1:08 PM MDT
      June 28, 2017 1:06 PM MDT

Oh shut up and stop being a bully to anyone who doesn't agree with you.
    You are rude and insulting and that is no way  a "Christian" should act.
    Why don't you go stand by your cart and stop posting comments no one reads or cares about!
      June 28, 2017 1:10 PM MDT

Lulu, I thought you were talking to me, because I think I am just as bad sometimes.  Just in a different way.  

June 28, 2017 11:40 PM MDT

No dear, you may be a little wild and crazy at times but you are never that bad.
    I can get a bit wild and crazy myself and that is why we get along so well LOL.
      June 29, 2017 8:47 AM MDT

i think he was on god's side
      June 28, 2017 10:46 AM MDT

Some people think Jesus took sides---like having a favorite team in the super bowl.  But it's not like that at all---to continue the analogy, Jesus just likes the game of football itself.

Once a Christian understands that, asking for what you want is more more easily accomplished.

As the New Adam who introduces the new reality of the new relationship of man to God, he is of course the exemplar---a person serving as an excellent model of what that new man should be and do.

This post was edited by tom jackson at June 28, 2017 12:42 PM MDT
      June 28, 2017 10:59 AM MDT

I like Pearl for the win on this answer.
      June 28, 2017 12:17 PM MDT

Yes, but that is a bit of a tautology---at least for those of us who know Him to be God.  

After all, pretty much everybody thinks they are returning the favor (being on God's side), and yet he says to some who call him Lord,  "...I never knew you; depart from Me...."   (Matt 7:23)

June 28, 2017 4:23 PM MDT

Short answer...He was on everyone's side.
      June 28, 2017 11:16 AM MDT

Not so much.  He was not on the side of anyone that was out to do harm to anything.

But he forgave and loved them.   He wasn't on their side.

"God forgive them, for they know not what they do" is hardly being on the side of ignorance.  Jesus would not vote for Donald.
      June 28, 2017 12:18 PM MDT

Yep Pearl is right. He is on God's side.
      June 28, 2017 12:42 PM MDT

• Psalm 18:6,7  "The Lord is on my side; lI will not fear. What can man do to me? 7 The Lord is on my side as my helper; I shall look in triumph on those who hate me."

If an individual is a believer in, follower and truster of Jesus the Messiah, God will be on their side. If they are not a believer in, follower and truster of Jesus the Messiah God "won't" be on their side. The word “Christian” is used three times in the New Testament (Acts 11:26, 26:28, 1 Peter 4:16). Followers of Jesus Christ were first called “Christians” in Antioch Acts 11:26 because their behavior, activity, and speech were like Christ. The word “Christian” literally means, “belonging to the party of Christ” or a “follower of Christ.” Which means that of course Jesus the Messiah wasn't a Christian. He was the Person that the Christians followed. Jesus obviously couldn't be a Christian because He didn't follow Himself.
      June 28, 2017 2:24 PM MDT

I love that quote.  I really do. I disagree as to the meaning, but I do respect your take. 

Jesus wasn't a Christian because he was not even remotely concerned with what the Christians take as the meaning of His life nor His message.  They threw the baby away with the bathwater.  Chapter 4 verse 4444

Paraphrased, of course:

These works that I do, you can do also and MORE.

We are ALL God.  That is His message.  And when I say this to a Born Again weirdo?  They want to crucify me.

June 28, 2017 11:47 PM MDT

• Shar to the Rona. I'm not sure which part of my answer you disagree with but the Bible is very clear about who Jesus the Messiah is and who His followers are. And your statement of Jesus  "was not even remotely concerned with what the Christians take as the meaning of His life nor His message", couldn't be further from the truth. If Jesus wasn't concerned about His followers and potential followers, why did He come down from His Father's right hand in heaven, for the sole purpose of dying for their sins? Your statement makes no sense. 

Where does your statement of "We are all God" originate from? It's certainly not found in the Bible. Obviously I won't crucify you for believing that we are all God, but I will reject that notion. I can respect your right to believe what you want but I don't have to respect that belief.
      June 29, 2017 8:18 AM MDT

The book of Revelation reveals how the Lord Jesus Christ directed his attention to the first century Christians. These were scattered in congregations throughout Asia minor. (Revelation 1:1-7)obviously his approval was with the Christian congregation comprised of different congregations and groups throughout the known civilized world of the time.
      June 28, 2017 11:37 PM MDT

Okay.  That sounds pretty good to me.  I will go along with this part. 
      June 28, 2017 11:49 PM MDT

Irony. Half the Christians I know think that GOD is on their side. Isn't it weird that Jesus wasn't a Christian? Who's side was HE on?

==================================================================

Who's side was Jesus on?

Well Jesus is on the right hand side of God, is what most Christians will tell you, but what is weird is that at the same time they will tell you that he IS God

Yes, religion can be weird:

It is weird that not only was Jesus not a Christian [meaning he did not subscribe to or teach the major Christian doctrines] but he never heard or uttered the words Christian or Christianity.

It is weird that EVERYBODY [apart from atheists, perhaps] thinks that God is on THEIR side.

It is weird that many think He is on their side ONLY even though they admit that their scriptures say that He created ALL and is therefore the God of ALL

July 1, 2017 4:15 AM MDT