Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » KJV Deuteronomy 25:4 Thou shalt not muzzle the ox when he treadeth out the corn.

KJV Deuteronomy 25:4 Thou shalt not muzzle the ox when he treadeth out the corn.

Is this a right the ox (and workman) have ? Is it a duty the ox owner (employer) have ?
Or maybe both? ;-))

I am currently playing an online game "The West" where pilfering from your workplace is your main source of income and equipment. Is that biblical? or just modern Christian?

Posted - July 7, 2017

Responses

I would say both, primarily out of concern for the bull.
    (Deuteronomy 25:4) “You must not muzzle a bull when it is threshing out grain.
    (Proverbs 12:10) The righteous one takes care of his domestic animals, But even the mercy of the wicked is cruel.

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1200003141?q=muzzle+bull+threshing&p=par

MUZZLE

A device designed to cover an animal’s mouth and prevent it from biting or eating.

Cattle were often used in ancient Palestine when a large quantity of grain was to be threshed. In preparation, the sheaves were untied and distributed over the hard-packed surface of the threshing floor until a thick layer was formed. Then one or more animals trod the grain with their hooves or it was threshed by means of a threshing sledge or other implement they drew over it. The Mosaic Law commanded: “You must not muzzlebull while it is threshing.” (De 25:4) Thus it was not tortured with a desire to eat some of the grain that it was expending its strength to thresh.—Compare Pr 12:10.

The principle involved at Deuteronomy 25:4 can also be applied to human laborers. Paul told Timothy: “Let the older men who preside in a fine way be reckoned worthy of double honor, especially those who work hard in speaking and teaching.” Then, confirming his counsel, the apostle quoted the law about not muzzling a bull when it is threshing grain. (1Ti 5:17, 18) Also, as part of Paul’s reasoning to show the Corinthians that “the Lord ordained for those proclaiming the good news to live by means of the good news,” he quoted Deuteronomy 25:4 and then wrote: “Is it bulls God is caring for? Or is it altogether for our sakes he says it? Really for our sakes it was written, because the man who plows ought to plow in hope and the man who threshes ought to do so in hope of being a partaker.”—1Co 9:8-14.

The psalmist David used “muzzle” figuratively when he said that he set one as a guard to his mouth to keep from sinning.—Ps 39:1.

EDIT: I edited it to include the whole article.

This post was edited by texasescimo at July 7, 2017 7:23 AM MDT
      July 7, 2017 6:18 AM MDT

I think playing games are great to pass the time away. Tex takes his role playing game too serious. 
      July 7, 2017 7:42 PM MDT

sounds right
      July 8, 2017 5:47 PM MDT

1- Thou shalt not muzzle the speaker of truth when he treadeth on your lies is more like what we need today.

2- Wouldn't it be better and more sensible to say thou shalt not take the ox to tread thy corn before thou hast given it a proper feed.

3- Employers should ideally have the welfare of their employees in mind, I suppose, and not pay them less than a living wage for them and their families. At one time employees were protected from punishment for thieving from their employer if it was found that they did so to fulfill their duty to provide for their families. 
      July 18, 2017 5:09 PM MDT

Thou shalt not mess with the bull lest he give you the horn.

Ecclesiasticus:   Verse Tree Fiddy

July 18, 2017 5:12 PM MDT