Active Now

Slartibartfast
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Random Knowledge » Will you share with us three things that interest you the most?

Will you share with us three things that interest you the most?

Posted - July 7, 2017

Responses

My wife
    My daughter 
    My son
      July 7, 2017 3:39 PM MDT

I'll share three of many things that interest me, but not necessarily 'the most.'

SEC sports
    Law
    Stock market
      July 7, 2017 4:06 PM MDT

Reading
    Crocheting
    Spending time with family - not necessarily in that order.
      July 7, 2017 4:10 PM MDT

I agree with Slartibartfast's answer (the only answer that was posted before I wrote my answer) and its spirit of love. I will forego that route with my answer, though, if I may. Besides the most important things/people whom I love, my interest in trying to live in the spirit of The Golden Rule with my fellow human beings - - Do Unto Others As You Would Have Them Do Unto You, etc, these three events have interested me a lot. I've included great-to-me books/and a great-to-me movie about the events.

1) The sinking of the "Titanic"
    - - but what REALLY interests me is that so few chronicles/movies/books, if any, address the fact that a ship was barely ten miles away from the "Titanic" during her demise -- this ship the "Californian," was in sight of the "Titanic," and saw her distress flares - -  and the "Californian" chose to do nothing.

~ "The Other Side of the Night: The 'Carpathia,' the 'Californian,' and the Night the 'Titanic' Was Lost"  book by Daniel Allen Butler

2) The December 30, 1903 'Iroquois' Theatre Fire Disaster in Chicago, Illinois, USA.
    This disaster need never have happened. I know I sound cliche but the fire seemed to be a disaster waiting to happen. It didn't wait too long since the fire disaster occurred about a month after the theater opened.

~ "The Great Chicago Theater Disaster: The Complete Story Told by the Survivors"  book by Marshall Everett -- published in 1904, less than a year, obviously, after the disaster
        "Chicago Death Trap: The Iroquois Theatre Fire of 1903"  book by Nat Brandt
        "Tinder Box: The Iroquois Theatre Disaster 1903"        book by Anthony P. Hatch

3) The murder of Honora Parker by her teenaged daughter Pauline and Pauline's teenaged friend Juliet Hulme on June 22, 1954 in Christchurch, New Zealand.
    Juliet grew up to become the famous best-selling author Anne Perry. I'm surprised at seemingly how little its known that author Perry has murdered someone.

~ an excellent-excellent-to-me movie "Heavenly Creatures," based very factually on the case, was directed by pre-"Lord of the Rings" director Peter Jackson. The movie features amazing, very amazing, performances by Melanie Lynskey and pre-"Titanic" Kate Winslet as the teenaged friends.
       also, a non-fiction book by Peter Graham, "Anne Perry and The Murder of the Century"
    This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at July 8, 2017 1:18 PM MDT
      July 7, 2017 4:30 PM MDT

Hi WQ!  I loved that movie "Heavenly Creatures."  Not sure I should be admitting this but I am addicted to tv programs about murders and serial killings.  Once I hear or see something about a murder, I research it ad nauseam.  That stuff just fascinates me.  I don't know why.  I think I need help.   TMI?
      July 7, 2017 4:53 PM MDT

To me? Definitely not TMI! Ha! Because I'm the same way! I've been fascinated by the following (and even more)
    John Wayne Gacy
    the accused-but-acquitted Lizzie Borden
    Jeffrey Dahmer
    Rev. Jim Jones and Guyana's "Jonestown"
    the murder of the Clutter family in Kansas, USA; made even more infamous by the book and movie "In Cold Blood"
    Ted Bundy
    Charles Manson's "family" - - since, yes, I know, he didn't do any of the murders himself

I'm fascinated by events/people like this
      July 7, 2017 5:05 PM MDT

I've researched all of those and many many more!!!   In Cold Blood was a great book.  I think I still have a copy of it.

Just to give you a few, have you heard of the following:

H. H. Holmes
    Belle Gunness
    The Bloody Benders
    Jane Toppan
    Dorothea Puente
    Andrei Chikatilo

If not, you have some new names to research!

Of course you also have some historically famous ones
    Vlad the Impaler
    Elizabeth Bathory
    Gilles de Rais

I could go on all day!  I know I am going to freak out some people here but I am glad to find someone else who is fascinated by this stuff too.

July 7, 2017 7:39 PM MDT

I don't know ANY of these names, other than Vlad (and I don't even know his details)! I must be a novice!
    :)
      July 8, 2017 11:56 AM MDT

Vlad the Putin.

Vlad the impaler was Dracula before he became immortal. 
      July 8, 2017 11:58 AM MDT

That's it, Shar to the Rona! Thanks! I like the Putin Touch, too!
      July 8, 2017 12:08 PM MDT

I'm addicted to Investigation ID if that counts. I often wonder why murder fascinates me. Probably the aspect of why/how human behavior goes awry. 
      July 7, 2017 8:20 PM MDT

LOL!  It definitely counts.  I have that channel on now!  Although I haven't had a lot of time lately to watch,  I'm addicted to it too.  I think it fascinates me for the same reason.   Have you ever read Caleb Carr's The Alienist?

July 7, 2017 8:26 PM MDT

For some reason I don't read as much as I watch on the subject. But I do like psychologically based crime novels and authors like Jonathan Kellerman.  

Current ID favorites are Reasonable Doubt, Sin City Justice, I am Homicide, and Fear Thy Neighbor. And I am SUPER addicted to Snapped on the Oxygen channel!  
      July 7, 2017 8:35 PM MDT

LOL!  Those are great shows.  

I think you will like the book.  It's a historical crime novel about the first serial killer in the history of NYC.  Wonderfully written.  Vivid details. The description from Amazon is not the greatest but here it is: 

The year is 1896. The city is New York. Newspaper reporter John Schuyler Moore is summoned by his friend Dr. Laszlo Kreizler—a psychologist, or “alienist”—to view the horribly mutilated body of an adolescent boy abandoned on the unfinished Williamsburg Bridge. From there the two embark on a revolutionary effort in criminology: creating a psychological profile of the perpetrator based on the details of his crimes. Their dangerous quest takes them into the tortured past and twisted mind of a murderer who will kill again before their hunt is over.

Fast-paced and riveting, infused with historical detail, The Alienist conjures up Gilded Age New York, with its tenements and mansions, corrupt cops and flamboyant gangsters, shining opera houses and seamy gin mills. It is an age in which questioning society’s belief that all killers are born, not made, could have unexpected and fatal consequences.

July 7, 2017 10:15 PM MDT

Thanks! Looks really interesting. I'll check it out.  
      July 7, 2017 10:20 PM MDT

I love to watch Forensic Files show.
      July 8, 2017 11:53 AM MDT

Those are so in depth- I enjoy them too, have seen so many now when they do them back to back haha..
      July 8, 2017 12:09 PM MDT

If I see the first 30 seconds of an episode, I'm hooked for the rest!
      July 8, 2017 12:24 PM MDT

Okay.  I already admitted to one.  I might as well tell the rest.

1. Murders and oddities.
    2. Dogs, along with training them.
    3. Sex.  But, since I am not currently getting any, ...Business start-ups.
      July 7, 2017 4:57 PM MDT

Please tell me there's no crossover between 2 and 3. Some guys, they get a little drunk and the golden retriever starts looking pretty good......
      July 7, 2017 10:04 PM MDT

ACK!  Don't even go there with me! :-( 
      July 7, 2017 10:24 PM MDT

Unfortunately I've seen it discussed on Q & A sites. What has been read cannot be unread.   :-o
      July 7, 2017 10:30 PM MDT

The unseen.
    The massage career
    The yet to be learned

July 7, 2017 7:03 PM MDT

• Languages and linguistics
    History
    People
      July 7, 2017 8:06 PM MDT