Active Now

Discussion » Questions » Current Events and News » With all the violence happening in Europe right now why should we want to be leader of such a rowdy bunch?

With all the violence happening in Europe right now why should we want to be leader of such a rowdy bunch?

Posted - July 8, 2017

Responses

I think the last ruler of EUROPE was during the Egyptian Roman conquests.

Wasn't that Alexander the Great or something?
      July 8, 2017 10:42 AM MDT

not sure but i wouldnt want to
      July 8, 2017 1:51 PM MDT

That's ok Pearl 
      July 8, 2017 3:50 PM MDT

LOL I nearly spluttered my coffee out all over the keyboard at that one.. you are a real riot aren't you..  Dream on baby most of Europe hate's Trump and America/Americans really aren't popular, let alone seen as leaders, ( i love em) are seriously you guys aren't nearly as respected as  you  once were in terms of status or on the international leader board... and haven't been for a long time... It never ceases to baffle me why some Americans persist in believing, quite naively and erroneously they are respected as they once were - I can only think it's tied up in the sometimes insular nature where some really don't know what's happening in the rest of the world and don't get that unfortunately Americans are more often seen as loud, brash, lacking in manners, ignorant and disrespected .. as to leaders of Europe.. lol not a chance..  Best not worry your pretty head about it.. I am sure you have much more immediate worries and concerns in your own country you need to concentrate on.. 

As to the violence.. as you really should be aware most of the deaths are related to terrorism.. something that you also face and which has, arguably been exacerbated by the wars, which America started in recent years.. Indeed the wars kinda lost America a LOT of friends and a lot of respect (and because Britain followed like a stupid lapdog, us too) 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/global-opinions/under-president-trump-america-may-no-longer-lead-the-free-world/2016/11/09/921bbbbe-a67b-11e6-ba59-a7d93165c6d4_story.html?utm_term=.ba7924f490a4

https://www.pewglobal.org/2017/06/26/u-s-image-suffers-as-publics-around-world-question-trumps-leadership/

Many of those of us who are fond of Americans really hoped America would act in a way that began to rebuild trust, confidnence and respect on the world stage, unfortunately the election of Trumplestiltskin has had the reverse effect... As I say unfortunately some Americans have yet to face up to how the world really sees them.. Until they can do this then there is little hope of improvement.. especially as Trump seems to be acting wholly against acting like a world leader... Remember Teresa May, begging Trump to grow up and act like a leader? (not that she is without her own problems!)
      July 8, 2017 4:09 PM MDT

Important to remember too, right or wrong, far more people are killed in violence, shootings and mass shootings in America every month than by terrorist attacks in Europe and the UK. 
      July 8, 2017 4:23 PM MDT

Aside from the fact that you're not comparing apples to oranges, so to speak (all forms of violence, shootings and mass shootings in the USA to just terrorist attacks in Europe and the UK) do you have any links to any objective data to back up the statement? And let's not be "cherry picking" the date ranges. This post was edited by Salt and Red Pepper at July 10, 2017 3:28 PM MDT
      July 10, 2017 3:28 PM MDT

I was responding to a comment... and the reason was to provide perspective... I wasn't comparing either.. but providing balance.. when it was postulated that Europe is a violent or rowdy place.. This is where some forms of American patriotism get uncool... when it's used to denigrate or try to suggest superiority and inferiority in connection with other countries...

So what I wrote needs to be viewed in that context... it was a balancing and redressing of balance when someone, decided to try to suggest that Europe is a violent place because of terrorism ... Point is.. that if you are going to take numbers of people killed.. then one needs to remember that people get killed in greater numbers in the states and these are not attributable to terrorism...at the end of the day innocent people are killed.. so we need to be balanced.. would you rather die from a terrorist attack or a mass shooting?Neither is nice!!

But yea I provided a link... which let's face it is more than most people do. I didn't cherry pick anything... just provided an illustrative link... and  I am just the reporter here so no need to get miffed...there are ample sites that provide breakdown of the numbers of people killed by guns... and this is the point.... we aren't comparing apples and oranges... but we DO need to be able to objectively assess the risk and significance of terrorism... in the UK we have had several terrorist attacks of late.. they are hideous.. but in terms of numbers killed, aka actual people directly losing their life or being injured... then we DO have to bear in mind that statistically speaking, in terms of lives lost and risk of lives lost... then far more lives are lost, in the States due to shootings..  I am asking people NOT to be sensationalist... I am asking them to be balanced and reasoning...

This link... isn't cherry picking... it's just reporting what is.. and my point being, not to comment on whether terrorism is worse or less worse... just to say that in terms of numbers more die from shootings and mass shootings in the states. so I am calling for a more reasoned perspective... don't let's be being sensationalist about terrorism when lives are lost elsewhere that is being entirely overlooked

https://www.massshootingtracker.org/data     bear in mind this is ONLY mass shootings.. it doesn't cover murder and single shootings - perspective... 

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/14/upshot/compare-these-gun-death-rates-the-us-is-in-a-different-world.html This post was edited by Adaydreambeliever at July 10, 2017 3:55 PM MDT
      July 10, 2017 3:53 PM MDT

Hey, at least no ones ever said to me 'your a peeing' when I wasn't a pean. Not all people in Europe can said that there, huh?
      July 10, 2017 12:56 PM MDT

LOL that made me smile... I agree... though since the Europeans don't speak English... I wonder what the European word for Europe is :P
      July 10, 2017 3:03 PM MDT

That's okay, not everyone here speaks right neither. If ya wanna learn to speaks right, ya gotta live in Texas. Not everyone from the US is real educated and sofisticated like in Texas. My poor daughterinlaw is from Alaska and thinks Alaska is the largest State. Lol
      July 10, 2017 3:21 PM MDT

I am sure you are right...
      July 10, 2017 3:56 PM MDT

Thanks.

EDIT: It's already 5PM and I haven't heard of a shooting in the Dallas area since yesterday. 

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/crime/2017/07/09/least-4-injured-separate-shootings-across-dallas-overnight This post was edited by texasescimo at July 10, 2017 4:05 PM MDT
      July 10, 2017 3:59 PM MDT