Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Slartibartfast
Stu Spelling Bee
Thebigd
Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » Would you like to be baptized like this? Reminds me of water boarding.

Would you like to be baptized like this? Reminds me of water boarding.

Posted - July 8, 2017

Responses

No, but considering the other horrific things people do in the name of religion, I'm inclined to let a few dips in water slide.
      July 8, 2017 6:14 PM MDT

Greek Orthodox baptism. Roman Catholics don't submerge the body. Holy water is poured gently over head. It doesn't look like water boarding to me. In water boarding, they cover the face and pour water over it with a water bottle. If you google it, you can see it. 
      July 8, 2017 6:20 PM MDT

Russian
      July 8, 2017 6:51 PM MDT

I am under the impression that you can't breath very well in either case, or at least a baby shouldn't try to breath while being dunked and twisted repeatedly.

It looks dangerous to me. Just googled it and apparently it is dangerous.
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1298129/Baby-dies-minutes-immersed-times-baptism.html

A priest has been accused of accidentally drowning a six-week-old boy as he baptised him in Moldova.

Witnesses claimed the baby died after Father Valentin failed to cover his mouth and nose when he immersed him in water three times.

EDIT: Above link appears to not be working now. Here is a similar link:

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/priest-moldova-father-valentin-allegedly-drowns-baby-child-baptism-article-1.200641

This post was edited by texasescimo at July 9, 2017 10:05 AM MDT
      July 8, 2017 8:30 PM MDT

OH MY

That is just WRONGO.

Those kids will never go near a body of water ever again, never take a bath, never even drink a glass of water after being traumatized like that.

They are doomed, I say.

At least with waterboarding, you are old enough to understand what is going on. 

July 8, 2017 6:56 PM MDT

Thank you for your answer Shar to the Rona. Very sad. A quick google search reveals that at least one baby has even drowned from the practice. I've also read that there are concerns with shaken baby syndrome.
      July 9, 2017 6:49 AM MDT

The idiots who are doing the dunking pay no mind to the infant's terror because they don't acknowledge it; don't even SEE it.  The idiot adults at the end of the film (probably the baby's own parents) pay no heed to the baby being upset.   That is a very scary disconnect to me.  They are like no-brains who have never had any training with actual live, breating infants.   They act like they are dunking a doll....or a donut.

Very strange. This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at July 9, 2017 8:07 AM MDT
      July 9, 2017 7:14 AM MDT

They will never sit on a toilet, either. Traumatized I'm tellin ya. They will never go to an aquarium. They probably cry when it rains.
      July 9, 2017 8:32 PM MDT

the guy's holding a cigarette in his hand, so presumably it's a training scenario, but even then isn't it disgusting what we humans do to one another
      July 19, 2017 1:27 PM MDT

cruel and ridiculous
      July 8, 2017 10:26 PM MDT

I concur.
      July 9, 2017 10:05 AM MDT

All in the name of Jesus. Gotta please Jehovah God. This post was edited by antibiotic at July 14, 2017 12:03 PM MDT
      July 9, 2017 8:22 PM MDT

• texasescimo, what does the Bible say about baptism and what does the Bible say about how it's performed? Are babies/infants even supposed to be baptized let alone tossed around and manhandled in such a manner. “He that believes and is baptized will be saved, he that does not believe will be condemned” (Mark 16:16) In Acts 2 it is observed that baptism comes after one comprehends the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus. One needs to know that in baptism they are emulating those 3 acts (Romans 6:3-4). One also needs to know that they are “baptized into Christ” in order to “put on Christ” (Gal. 3:27).

Those babies have no comprehension of what the Bible says on the matter of baptism and why they have to be old enough to know why, so their baptism is meaningless. All they know is that they are being tossed around like a slab of meat and all they can do is cry. However, the priest and parents seem to be enjoying and reveling the spectacle. That's one of the many things wrong with man made and man-centered "religion". It ignores the very Book that it claims to follow, and inserts it's own man-made rules, regulations, and practices and at who's expense?
      July 8, 2017 10:41 PM MDT

Thank you Hezekiah. Very sad the way those babies were treated. Obviously it's not just people with sour grapes saying that was happening to babies as there is even video of it.
    You are right that it was only after they comprehended things that they were baptized, thus no infants were baptized. Even Jesus wasn't baptized until he was around thirty. The last part of Mark doesn't appear in older manuscripts but I agree with pretty much everything else you said.

(Acts 2:41) So those who gladly accepted his word were baptized, and on that day about 3,000 people were added.
    (Acts 8:12) But when they believed Philip, who was declaring the good news of the Kingdom of God and of the name of Jesus Christ, both men and women were getting baptized.
    (Acts 18:8) But Crisʹpus, the presiding officer of the synagogue, became a believer in the Lord, along with all his household. And many of the Corinthians who heard began to believe and be baptized.
    (Luke 3:21-23) Now when all the people were baptized, Jesus too was baptized. As he was praying, the heaven was opened up, 22 and the holy spirit in bodily form like a dove came down upon him, and a voice came out of heaven: “You are my Son, the beloved; I have approved you.” 23 When Jesus began his work, he was about 30 years old, being the son, as the opinion was, of Joseph, son of Heʹli,
      July 9, 2017 1:40 AM MDT

• texasescimo, you're right, Mark 16:9-20 isn't found in the oldest manuscripts which is why it's italicized. I usually try not to use italicized verses for that reason but wasn't paying as close attention as I should have. Thank you for pointing that out.
      July 9, 2017 5:32 PM MDT

You're welcome. Hope I didn't come off snarky or anything. Thanks
      July 9, 2017 6:15 PM MDT

• Snarky? not at all. I have no problem with people pointing things out to me, to remind me. 
      July 9, 2017 6:27 PM MDT

All in thew name of Jesus. Gotta keep Jehovah God pleased.
      July 9, 2017 8:25 PM MDT

"One also needs to know that they are “baptized into Christ” in order to “put on Christ” (Gal. 3:27)."  We're told "Jesus wasn't baptized until he was around thirty" does that mean that he knew that he was being “baptized into Christ” in order to “put on Christ”?
      July 18, 2017 5:30 PM MDT

I think Hezekiah was talking about followers of Jesus, not Jesus himself.
    (Romans 6:3, 4) Or do you not know that all of us who were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? 4 So we were buried with him through our baptism into his death, in order that just as Christ was raised up from the dead through the glory of the Father, so we also should walk in a newness of life.
    (Galatians 3:27) For all of you who were baptized into Christ have put on Christ.
      July 19, 2017 11:08 AM MDT

no thanks
      July 9, 2017 5:14 PM MDT

Well, you won't ever have to worry about that kid drowning---he'll be terrified of water for the rest of his life.
      July 9, 2017 7:06 PM MDT

If they survive the ordeal perhaps. Thanks for your answer.
      July 10, 2017 3:25 AM MDT

Tex, stop distorting the real world and get you facts right.

wa·ter·board·ing
    noun
    an interrogation technique simulating the experience of drowning, in which a person is strapped, face up, to a board
    that slopes downward at the head, while large quantities of water are poured over the face into the breathing passages.

July 9, 2017 8:12 PM MDT