Active Now

Randy D
Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Fashion » Clothing has existed for centuries, the majority of cultures and societies expect its wear in public situations. However,

Clothing has existed for centuries, the majority of cultures and societies expect its wear in public situations. However,

clothing can either enhance the attractiveness of humans' physiques or it can help hide certain things about our bodies that we'd rather not be seen.  Clothing has become an accepted norm. 

Do you think that in general, if clothing for humans didn't exist or if it had never existed over all these centuries, would people be in better physical shape due to their bodies being more on display than they are currently?

~

Posted - July 11, 2017

Responses

No.  I doubt it. 

If people can go out of their way to dress stupid, they are not going to grow the ability to determine taste just because they are nekkid.

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at July 11, 2017 6:51 AM MDT
      July 11, 2017 6:37 AM MDT

It appears you're basing your answer on the mindset of existing norms surrounding and surrounded by the use of clothing. The question is framed in such a way as to imagine the opposite scenario; that clothing has not been introduced as an option.
      July 11, 2017 6:50 AM MDT

There is no way to imagine what has not even existed yet.  Try imagining a brand new color.  What color would that be?  The same is true for how people would behave if something unbeknownst to them should occur.  How could that ever be determined?   Or proven.

So? 

Take it or leave it. This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at July 11, 2017 6:59 AM MDT
      July 11, 2017 6:58 AM MDT

"There is no way to imagine what has not even existed yet."

Er, um, that's the exact definition of imaging imagining. 
    ~ This post was edited by Randy D at July 11, 2017 8:14 AM MDT
      July 11, 2017 7:00 AM MDT

Imaging?  Is NOT imagining.  Did you mean to say that word?

To try and drum up what would happen when it has not happened, is speculation at best.  Imagining is pretending to drum up what has happened.

If you want me to pretend to drum up what would happen if people never saw a piece of clothing, I cannot.  I cannot begin to imagine what people who cannot even get it together to dress properly would be able to get it together to care what they looked like when unclothed.

If that scenario is not allowed into the equation, then there is no point in answering this at all.  Period.  Because?  There is no evidence to back how they would be or what they would think.   Imagination will only take you so far.    If you imagine with no rules at all, your imagination is nonsense. 

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at July 11, 2017 7:07 AM MDT
      July 11, 2017 7:05 AM MDT

You are right (of course); it should have been imagining instead of imaging. Thank you for catching it, I have corrected my error. 

On everything else, you're as wrong a a human being can be. Please do not report me for pointing out your shortcomings. 
    ~
      July 11, 2017 8:17 AM MDT

You just always get me first thing in the morning or last thing at night when I am at my least charming. 

I'm not wrong.  You are obtuse.
      July 11, 2017 8:21 AM MDT

You two are so cute when you fight. ;-)
      July 11, 2017 8:27 AM MDT

He has me at two disadvantages. 

One.  I don't care at all who wins this debate.

Two.  It is far too early for me to even think anything through that I do care about.

So, he wins because I am giving him this one. 
      July 11, 2017 8:36 AM MDT

Possibly, or people could be more accepting of all body shapes and sizes for the very same reason. 
      July 11, 2017 7:14 AM MDT

Good point. 

:)
      July 11, 2017 8:18 AM MDT

• "No, I don't believe so."  If you look at the races of people that presently wear no or nearly no clothes, many of these people adorn their bodies with  beads, bracelets, tattoos and the like, but physically speaking seem to live with what they've got ... just like most of us do. They come in all shapes and sizes ... just like we do. 
      July 11, 2017 7:22 AM MDT

That's why I prefaced my question with the reference to "the majority of cultures and societies". 

~
      July 11, 2017 8:19 AM MDT

• I did read your entire post. I'm not exactly sure what your reply is getting at ... so let me try to rephrasing my answer.  

Using what is available in our present day society as some kind of evidence ... Inhabitants from areas where clothing has never been worn and is presently not "an accepted norm" don't seem to be physically superior to the inhabitants of areas where clothes are "an accepted norm."
      July 11, 2017 1:58 PM MDT

You ask an interesting and complex question, Randy D.

So, "Let us first of all consider, my brethren, healthy shame and what is the relation of clothing to it.......?"

{ To see the implied joke I am making, here is an excerpt from the book Heretics by GK Chesterton.  It is available at  

https://www.gutenberg.org/files/470/470-h/470-h.htm  }

Suppose that a great commotion arises in the street about something, let us say a lamp-post, which many influential persons desire to pull down. A grey-clad monk, who is the spirit of the Middle Ages, is approached upon the matter, and begins to say, in the arid manner of the Schoolmen, "Let us first of all consider, my brethren, the value of Light. If Light be in itself good—" At this point he is somewhat excusably knocked down. All the people make a rush for the lamp-post, the lamp-post is down in ten minutes, and they go about congratulating each other on their unmediaeval practicality. But as things go on they do not work out so easily. Some people have pulled the lamp-post down because they wanted the electric light; some because they wanted old iron; some because they wanted darkness, because their deeds were evil. Some thought it not enough of a lamp-post, some too much; some acted because they wanted to smash municipal machinery; some because they wanted to smash something. And there is war in the night, no man knowing whom he strikes. So, gradually and inevitably, to-day, to-morrow, or the next day, there comes back the conviction that the monk was right after all, and that all depends on what is the philosophy of Light. Only what we might have discussed under the gas-lamp, we now must discuss in the dark.

As I said---interesting and complex.

This post was edited by tom jackson at July 11, 2017 9:33 AM MDT
      July 11, 2017 9:32 AM MDT

A lovely thought-provoking post! Fun to imagine.. however, my thinking is based on naturism and nudism... They believe that all bodies are acceptable and that we don't need to be so hung up on how we look, our shape, size etc... you see all sorts.. old, wrinkly saggy people and young, fit people..  The idea being that the bod is natural...  SO my thinking is.. a) no they probably wouldn't be all that bod conscious and b) we do have to consider that people naturally are all shapes and sizes and once we are old then we really aren't going to as attractive as we once were... 

I am thinking too... fairly shallowly... that women generally speaking do do better with bras if they are other than very small breasted... if you look at what happens when women never wear a bra.. they do tend to end up with very floppy boobs... Perhaps they are still attractive to some but perky they ain't :P 
      July 11, 2017 11:00 AM MDT

i think its good that people are wearing clothes, i wouldnt want to see everyone naked
      July 11, 2017 1:56 PM MDT