Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » Your soul - how do you know you have one?

Your soul - how do you know you have one?

Posted - July 11, 2017

Responses

Because every time I play this tape, the problems I am having, are righted.  My soul is connecting to the Source and the Source answers.

That's one way, I know.   Try it, you will like it. 

July 11, 2017 8:00 PM MDT

I'll surely check it, Sharonna!
      July 11, 2017 8:02 PM MDT

I hope you do, it is quite soothing and so beautiful.  It speaks to all faiths.  I hope it does, anyway. 
      July 11, 2017 8:03 PM MDT

• I look at my shoes.
      July 11, 2017 8:06 PM MDT

and you only see one? :) :) :)
      August 1, 2017 3:05 AM MDT

• ?!
      August 1, 2017 8:27 PM MDT

I had to look at it twice but I think he was making light of shoes with one soul instead of two souls.
    'Your soul - how do you know you have one?'
      August 2, 2017 6:19 AM MDT

• I suppose we are each of two natures, the good and the bad, struggling against each other.
      August 2, 2017 9:07 AM MDT

Q: Your soul - how do you know you have one?

your A which I liked: "I look at my shoes."

my rather cryptic comment was meant to be read as - you look at your shoes [plural] and see only one sole [soul - singular]?
      August 2, 2017 12:45 PM MDT

• Yes.  Looking at one shoe. 
      August 2, 2017 8:00 PM MDT

But your initial answer was: "I look at my shoes." Lol 
      August 3, 2017 6:26 AM MDT

• Hummmm. Yes. Perhaps they are united in sole.
      August 3, 2017 7:44 AM MDT

cause everyone has one
      July 11, 2017 9:50 PM MDT

Good question. Don't know what you think of the Bible but here's an interesting article where you can look up the cited scriptures if you like:
    https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/2007520?q=%22Do+You+Have+an+Immortal+Soul%22&p=par
      July 12, 2017 2:38 AM MDT

Soul, spirit, ghost, are the same, in different terms.
    As you are alive, you have one. When you die, you loose it.
    Doctors can transplant hearts, kidneys, ... etc. They must keep the body alive ( with the soul active) to do so. Once the body expires, the soul has also expired to exist.

Ecclesiastes 12:7  And the dust returns to the earth as it was, and the spirit returns to God who gave it.

July 12, 2017 5:17 AM MDT

Hi antibiotic. I don't think they are the same in the Bible. I haven't seen 'ghost' in any modern translations of the Bible and when used in the KJV, I don't think that ghost fits what most people believe about ghost.

You may ignore the commentary and just look up the cited verses from the reasoning book:
    Can the human soul die?
    Ezek. 18:4: “Look! All the souls—to me they belong. As the soul of the father so likewise the soul of the son—to me they belong. The soul* that is sinning—it itself will die.” (*Hebrew reads “the neʹphesh.” KJ, AS, RS, NE, and Dy render it “the soul.” Some translations say “the man” or “the person.”)
    Matt. 10:28: “Do not become fearful of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul [or, “life”]; but rather be in fear of him that can destroy both soul* and body in Gehenna.” (*Greek has the accusative case of psy·kheʹ. KJ, AS, RS, NE, TEV, Dy, JB, and NAB all render it “soul.”)
    Acts 3:23: “Indeed, any soul [Greek, psy·kheʹ] that does not listen to that Prophet will be completely destroyed from among the people.”
    Is it possible for human souls (people) to live forever?
    See pages 243-247, under the heading “Life.”
    Is the soul the same as the spirit?
    Eccl. 12:7: “Then the dust returns to the earth just as it happened to be and the spirit [or, life-force; Hebrew, ruʹach] itself returns to the true God who gave it.” (Notice that the Hebrew word for spirit is ruʹach; but the word translated soul is neʹphesh. The text does not mean that at death the spirit travels all the way to the personal presence of God; rather, any prospect for the person to live again rests with God. In similar usage, we may say that, if required payments are not made by the buyer of a piece of property, the property “returns” to its owner.) (KJ, AS, RS, NE, and Dy all here render ruʹach as “spirit.” NAB reads “life breath.”)
    Eccl. 3:19: “There is an eventuality as respects the sons of mankind and an eventuality as respects the beast, and they have the same eventuality. As the one dies, so the other dies; and they all have but one spirit [Hebrew, ruʹach].” (Thus both mankind and beasts are shown to have the same ruʹach, or spirit. For comments on verses 20, 21, see page 383.)
    Heb. 4:12: “The word of God is alive and exerts power and is sharper than any two-edged sword and pierces even to the dividing of soul [Greek, psy·khesʹ; “life,” NE] and spirit [Greek, pneuʹma·tos], and of joints and their marrow, and is able to discern thoughts and intentions of the heart.” (Observe that the Greek word for “spirit” is not the same as the word for “soul.”)
    Does conscious life continue for a person after the spirit leaves the body?
    Ps. 146:4: “His spirit [Hebrew, from ruʹach] goes out, he goes back to his ground; in that day his thoughts do perish.” (NAB, Ro, Yg, and Dy [145:4] here render ruʹach as “spirit.” Some translations say “breath.”) (Also Psalm 104:29)
      July 12, 2017 6:05 AM MDT

Man does not live by the Bible alone. Some occasional reality hits the spot and when it does, the light becomes brighter.
    Ghost=Spirit=Soul=Ghost=Spirit=Soul.

This post was edited by antibiotic at July 12, 2017 4:04 PM MDT
      July 12, 2017 4:03 PM MDT

Do you get that from science? You gave a scripture (Eccl 12:7) so I assumed that you gave some weight to the Bible. Sorry.

EDIT: I thought you might find this interesting?
    (Matthew 4:4) But he answered: “It is written: ‘Man must live, not on bread alone, but on every word that comes from Jehovah’s mouth.’”
    (2 Timothy 3:16) All Scripture is inspired of God and beneficial for teaching, for reproving, for setting things straight, for disciplining in righteousness, This post was edited by texasescimo at July 12, 2017 4:27 PM MDT
      July 12, 2017 4:08 PM MDT

" ... on every word that comes from Jehovah’s mouth."
    Does Jehovah have a mouth with a tongue, teeth and lips?

July 12, 2017 7:15 PM MDT

Do you really not get it?
    Are people really offspring of vipers? Does the mouth really speak out of the abundance of the heart?
    Does wisdom really have children?
    Are Christians really letters written on hearts?
    (Matthew 12:34) Offspring of vipers, how can you speak good things when you are wicked? For out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks.
    (Luke 7:35) All the same, wisdom is proved righteous by all its children.”
    (2 Corinthians 3:2) You yourselves are our letter, inscribed on our hearts and known and being read by all mankind.

(John 4:24) God is a Spirit, and those worshipping him must worship with spirit and truth.”

EDIT: You really should read the Bible to get a better understanding of it, especially if you are gonna make fun of people that do read it. See if you get the sense of this:
    [Figurative Use. God represents himself symbolically as having a mouth. None of his pronouncements are uttered to no purpose, in vain; they will be fulfilled to the smallest detail. (Isa 55:10, 11) Therefore, those who desire life must live by every word proceeding from his mouth. (De 8:3; Mt 4:4) When on earth his Son Jesus Christ conformed his whole life to his Father’s words and now has universal authority granted him. As King appointed by Jehovah, he will strike the earth with “the rod of his mouth.” (Isa 11:4) The vision of Revelation shows him smiting the nations with a long sword proceeding out of his mouth. (Re 19:15, 21) This figure of speech evidently represents the authority he will exercise in command of all Jehovah’s heavenly armies in ordering and supervising the warfare that results in the execution of God’s enemies.
    “Mouth” is often used synonymously for speech or the power of speech, as can be seen from some of the instances cited above. The rule governing evidence in a case under the Mosaic Law, and also followed in the Christian congregation, is that a person may be found guilty only “at the mouth,” that is, on the testimony, of two or three witnesses. (De 17:6; Mt 18:16; compare 2Co 13:1.) A few other examples of similar usage are found at Job 32:5; Psalms 10:7; 55:21; 78:36; Ezekiel 24:27; 29:21; Luke 21:15, ftn; Romans 15:6.
    In addition, “mouth” may have reference to the opening of something, such as of a well (Ge 29:2), a bag (Ge 43:12; 44:1, 2), a cave (Jos 10:22), or to an opening in the earth (Nu 16:32), as well as to the ability of the earth to absorb liquids poured onto it (Ge 4:11). Sheol, mankind’s common grave, is spoken of as having a wide mouth, so as to receive many dead.—Isa 5:14.]
    This post was edited by texasescimo at July 12, 2017 7:37 PM MDT
      July 12, 2017 7:31 PM MDT

• The premise is unlikely so I set it aside.
      July 12, 2017 8:06 PM MDT

• There is no objective evidence that souls exist, so it is logical to not accept their existence. It is quite obvious that they are part of crude fiction that is used to swindle people. The tales have souls existing forever and being punished or rewarded to motivate people to allow clergymen to have totalitarian power over them, including giving much of their money to them.
      July 16, 2017 9:07 AM MDT

I dont. I do know I have a conscious. That is what makes me curious enough to ask the question about the soul. The answer will allude me until I die, if then, i suppose.
      July 16, 2017 9:19 AM MDT

How do I know I have a soul?

One could approach it the same way as the question say, how do you know you have fever. you look up the factors that define fever, see whether you have those symptoms do determine whether you have fever.

So looking up the definition of soul dictionary.com tells us it is "the principle of life, feeling, thought, and action in humans, regarded as a distinct entity separate from the body, and commonly held to be separable in existence from the body;
    the spiritual part of humans as distinct from the physical part.
    the spiritual part of humans regarded in its moral aspect, or as believed to survive death and be subject to happiness or misery in a life to come: "

Thus the answer has to be yes, I do have a soul. 

August 1, 2017 3:45 AM MDT