Active Now

WelbyQuentin
Malizz
Element 99
Spunky
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Habitat for Humanity. Builds homes for people. Sometimes you have to tear down what's there first. Which are you better at doing?

Habitat for Humanity. Builds homes for people. Sometimes you have to tear down what's there first. Which are you better at doing?

Do you prefer to tear down/knock down/destroy or rebuild? Why?

Posted - July 23, 2017

Responses

I'd rather atleast try to salvage some poor neglected house and make it pretty again. So I guess that would be rebuilding.
      July 23, 2017 5:49 AM MDT

Me too. My mom was a professional seamstress Patch and she told me that trying to reconfigure an existing garment was a lot more time-consuming that starting from scratch. I wonder if that might also be true of structures? But I do relieve in salvaging what you can and restoring the historic and leaving tracks of where we come from and what it looked like! Destroying everything to start anew has never made much sense to me. I guess we agree on this. Thank you for your reply and Happy Sunday! :)
      July 23, 2017 10:07 AM MDT

I did help build a 'Habitat' house once when I had a spare summer. I spent a day framing the structure. I came in the next day to help, and the 'director' sent me away because "they had a special crew to do the roofing".  A week later I came back and was sent away again. "We have a special crew to do the drywall hanging."  So I never did 'Habitat' work again. 
      July 23, 2017 8:28 AM MDT

((hugs)) That's because you volunteered to give your time to that effort bh. Good job! Good for you! Those jacka**es made a big mistake. I have no idea why but it does not diminish your desire to help. In fact I'm very proud of you. I had a friend who also volunteered at one of those sites and I was also very proud of him. You just got a gold star and A + from moi because you showed how much you care to give back. I wish I could figure why you got such a rude/cold reception TWO TIMES. Thank you for your reply my friend!  Once again (per Yoda) Proud of You I am! :)
      July 23, 2017 10:04 AM MDT

id rather not tear down, i like to keep whats there there
      July 23, 2017 4:34 PM MDT