Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Communication » Being lectured to/listening to a speech, participating in conversation. Are you best when you are being talked to or when you talk too? Why?

Being lectured to/listening to a speech, participating in conversation. Are you best when you are being talked to or when you talk too? Why?

Posted - August 4, 2017

Responses

depends on what we're talking about
      August 4, 2017 12:43 PM MDT

I prefer to listen generally, to learn, to understand, to *feel* the motivation of the speaker..  That's not to say everyone who speaks should be listened to :P I can also talk and inspire when needed. 
      August 4, 2017 12:45 PM MDT

Thank you for your reply Addb. I remember in high school and junior college the classes I enjoyed most were those in which conversations were encouraged among the students and the teacher(s) or professor(s). As you know by now I always have so many questions to ask and it was frustrating to have to sit and listen without having the opportunity to ask "why is that?" or "what would happen if...?". My favorite junior college class was Philosophy. Dr. Hallman was always turning things around in class and asking questions of us to which he expected responses. We also talked among ourselves as he observed and listened and sometimes interjected things for us to ponder and discuss. It was the swellest class I ever had! :)
      August 6, 2017 4:11 AM MDT

I prefer a conversation with two or three people.

EDIT:  I was, however, usually mesmerized when Bill Clinton gave the State of the Union addresses.  He was a wonderful speaker.  Happy Friday, Rosie. :) This post was edited by SpunkySenior at August 6, 2017 4:11 AM MDT
      August 4, 2017 1:50 PM MDT

Ditto Spunky. Me too. Please read my reply to Adaydreambeliever. That's how you really learn. I've always preferred reciprocity. Not necessarily in like kind but two-way streets are best because one-way streets often are dead ends. Thank you for your reply! :)
      August 6, 2017 4:13 AM MDT

I agree.  Conversations generate an exchange of ideas rather than a lecture which conveys one person's thoughts.  Happy Sunday. :)
      August 6, 2017 10:21 AM MDT

:):):) I really like it when a question I ask becomes a lot more than I intended because of the terrific answers I get. Opens up doors to areas I didn't even know existed! It's like being in a gigantic classroom when you are on an internet social site. Some days my head gets so filled with really excellent information I can't absorb any more! Of course there are those slow days, quiet days too. I also enjoy them but differently! Thank you for your reply Spunky! :)
      September 8, 2017 7:02 AM MDT

You're very welcome. :)
      September 8, 2017 8:17 AM MDT