Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » Do you think we would all do well to heed the words of the serenity prayer.. where it says we should accept things we cannot change?

Do you think we would all do well to heed the words of the serenity prayer.. where it says we should accept things we cannot change?

'God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,Courage to change the things I can,And wisdom to know the difference.'  

SO many don't know the difference I think.. SO many try to change things they cannot, and so many don't try to change things that could and should be changed..

I've always a been a bucker of trends, a fighter against injustice and rules that harm rather than help people..someone who doesn't walk away from a challenge.. and indeed that was always one of my strengths.. I had boundless energy and enthusiasm...  The law is something we should all heed but sometimes the law's an ass... Injustice and ignorance as my two pet hates, (well along with child abuse, animal abuse and abuse of those weaker/vulnerable/women). I've never really been one who accepts easily things I cannot change.. I find a way round, I go that extra mile, I don't start a fight but I never lose one that's picked on me...  

But I am trying to change.. I don't think I will ever be ok with injustice.. and I still find myself trying to educate, enlighten those who lack same... naively believing their ignorance must stem from a lack of knowledge...  people say you cannot fix stupid and that I should save my breath... I never believed that.. my compulsion to enlighten was so strong.. 

BUT i do think I am gradually learning just a little of this accepting stuff... if only because some battles are not worth our effort and when time and energy are finite, as they often are we have to make sure we reserve our strength for those things and those battles that do matter.. It may be admirable to try.. but it's definitely wise to know that sometimes some things cannot be fixed by one person.. 

I think, but could be wrong, that I am finally learning to walk away from some things...and to know that I am not immortal - some things aren't worth wasting energy on :P

Posted - August 8, 2017

Responses

I think there is great serenity in accepting that we cannot change others.
      August 8, 2017 4:08 PM MDT

I agree.. but it's a lesson I still struggle with.. I always think I can change things.. make things better, make people better, more compassionate... 
      August 8, 2017 4:18 PM MDT

Que sera, sera
    Whatever will be, will be
    The future's not ours to see
    Que sera, sera
    What will be, will be..song lyrics...
      August 8, 2017 4:17 PM MDT

Thank you Doris.
      August 8, 2017 4:17 PM MDT

Any "DAY" Lol.
      August 8, 2017 4:20 PM MDT

I love that one.. and for a long time I had that quote on my computer monitor screen.. I think this IS something I struggle with.. accepting I cannot change everything.. I cannot save the world.. well not all the time :P

August 8, 2017 4:29 PM MDT

I'm not religious in any way, but I do like this particular teaching. However, I think maybe you're taking it out of context. Injustices can be changed. You should stand up for injustice. But, as LO added, you can't change people. The hard part is knowing what can and cannot be changed, as well as what's worth your energy. 

If someone is mean and hateful, you can't change them. But, you may be able to change the situation if you focus on understanding the other person and the desired goal. On the other hand, it's almost guaranteed you won't change the situation at all if you approach it as a firefight. In other words, don't focus on changing the person. Accept that they are who they are. Do focus on changing the issues. 

Also, if your goal is to "enlighten," don't use a baseball bat. lol

Some may, but I won't because I'm a non-believer. 
      August 8, 2017 4:45 PM MDT

We could and should, but there is a problem with it: Drama and excitement is much more dramatic and exciting than common sense.
      August 8, 2017 7:32 PM MDT

i think so
      August 9, 2017 4:55 PM MDT