Active Now

Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » When did you last write a letter. An actual letter?

When did you last write a letter. An actual letter?

I wrote two today, one for admin purposes and one to a friend. I think businesses don't really know how to deal with letters anymore.. I wrote one months ago to the HM Revenue and customs - I never received a reply, even though one was warranted and needed..  When I called them, they said a letter reply was on it's way.. that was weeks ago.. I wrote a further letter and haven't had a reply.. I really think it's a lost art :P  

The other letter was to a friend. She and I used to write mammoth letters to each other. Her's would often take me days to read!  This was a relatively short one by comparison :P 

It brought to mind this quote;

“The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,
Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit
Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line,
Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.”

Omar Khayyam 

Posted - August 11, 2017

Responses

I cannot even remember. Truly sad that it's a dying art. Seems like one of those things that made for a gracious society.
      August 11, 2017 2:02 PM MDT

Agreed. It's not like I write a lot of letters myself... it's just that sometimes it's easier to sit down and write than to email.. and it's somehow more permanent and less ignore-able.. well that's the theory, not that it works in practice. 
      August 11, 2017 2:15 PM MDT

In the year 2000, when i was in jail.
      August 11, 2017 2:30 PM MDT

a couple of days ago
      August 11, 2017 2:36 PM MDT

I don't write anything much.  I type a lot of letters. 

August 11, 2017 4:25 PM MDT

I think we had to write letters in the third grade. Can't say I've actually written a letter to anyone since then though.
      August 11, 2017 7:19 PM MDT