Active Now

Slartibartfast
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Legal » Do you find the president's involvement in local politics by pardoning Joe Arpaio disturbing?

Do you find the president's involvement in local politics by pardoning Joe Arpaio disturbing?

Now that Nationalists have their guy in office are State's rights NOT in but OUT?

Posted - August 25, 2017

Responses

Keep liv9ing in the past.  Obama isn't the president any longer and if your president doesn't do something worthwhile pretty soon, he isn't going to be president beyond one term.  So far, all he's done is play golf and hold rallies. 
      August 31, 2017 6:01 PM MDT

Nothing...that is why stock market is record high....unemployment is lowest in a decade. GDP is growing at the largest rate in 2 yrs. 
    I personally am having a record year. May he continue to do nothing for our economy. 
      September 1, 2017 4:31 AM MDT

(less fewer than 30)
      August 30, 2017 10:10 PM MDT

What bothers me most is that this just emphasizes the lack of respect Trump has for the judiciary in general---demonstrated in his comments about the Hawaiian Federal Judge who blocked his immigration proposal.
      August 26, 2017 7:08 PM MDT

I think Trump was sending messages about how what he feels is the appropriate way to enforce the law, about how he feels about immigrants, and signalling that he will pardon his friends, supporters and family which could make plea bargaining tactics in the Russia investigation ineffective.
      August 26, 2017 7:14 PM MDT

Oh sure I would, if I didn't totally expect it.  You see, it is simple.   Trump is a coward.  Arpaio is a shameless ass-kisser to anyone who can give him publicity.   They are cut from the same cloth.   They are addicted to power.  And naturally, Arpaio took total advantage of the fact that Trump hated Obama so Arpaio started screaming "BIRTHER" at the top of his lungs.  You know, because ARPAIO is so non-racist.  

So Trump smelled the rat racist and immediately took him in his fold.   He could see a sycophantic drooling worshipper and totally took advantage of another pawn he can own.  Now?   Now Joe Arpaio will die for Trump. 

Too bad, Arpaio's reputation and  career are OVER.   Too bad Arpaio is about to die from old age and his idiotic Phoenix  fan base will just transfer from Sheriff Joe to TRUMP, the man who restored their idol to his proper station. 

Well, the whole pardon thing was done for two reasons.  No three reasons.

1.  He had to send that invisible message to his racist base that he is a freaking racist and restoring Joe Arpaio to not-guilty is like passively/aggressively shouting it from the rooftops without ever saying a word.  Let's say this.  NO OTHER PRESIDENT WOULD HAVE PARDONED A LOWLY SHERIFF, A PETTY TYRANT.  I don't even think Georgie W. would have bothered. 

2.   He needs to hide the bad publicity from all the other screwups he is accomplishing right now.  Afghanistan.  Charlottesville.  etc. etc.  All the firings of his loyal staff.... etc. etc.    If Arpaio is free, then it shuts up the retard base.  'OOOOH  Look at what the powerful Trump has accomplished.  He said he would free a loser sheriff that no one but he cares about'.

I mean he is pardoned.  WHO CARES?   He is a disgraced moron. 
    Hey! what was the question again

Oh YEAH....
    3.  He freed him because he has bad taste in close friends.  He buys them and they want to be bought.  This friendship is to Trump's liking.  He has Arpaio by the short hairs.  Arpaio will NEVER betray him.   Some trophy DONNIE.

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at August 27, 2017 11:02 AM MDT
      August 26, 2017 7:16 PM MDT

Let me see if I understand this "outrage" . . .

Sheriff Arpaio was convicted of contempt of court because he defied a Federal court order that, basically, required him to stop enforcing the law. No more stopping suspected illegals to check to see if they were actually illegal. Total, complete blind rage from the left.

Yet the Border Patrol engages in that kind of activity all the time, and ofter far from the US border (up to 200-miles away) and not one peep about that from anyone. Heck, I even have to go through the occasional sobriety check point where I'm stopped "just because", and again crickets chirping from the left.

Yeah, that all seems legit . . .  
      August 26, 2017 7:33 PM MDT

No.  That is what they wound up charging him for.  Because all the other things ALL the other things were dismissed, doesn't mean that he wasn't guilty.  It means he knew what palms to grease and he has plenty of backers in this screwed up state that hollers TRUMP IS MY PRESIDENT.  Oh God. 

So, it is a miracle that he was charged at all.   The New Times down here and it's award-winning journalists did 20 years of unearthing his many instances of total corruption.  He misused funds and just basically walked all over anyone who opposed him and the idiots down here loved him.  You know why?

They thought he was TOUGH and we needed tough.  His proof?  He made prisoners wear pink prison outfits to humiliate them and parade them around in public doing public works.  That got him elected over and over and over and ONLY that.  That is what people down here would say.  Like you know the idiots that tell me Trump knows how to be a President because he is a billionaire?  Those kinds of idiots live down here in the sun that they spent too long outside under.  The first thing that came out of their mouths if you mentioned that idiot is how tough and strong he was and how they backed him 1000 percent.  You know that is what the armchair lawyer and cop think. That you can solve crime by being TOUGH and doing idiotic things like that to prove how powerful and tough you are.

I don't see crime on any low swing since he was in office.  Ever.  He created crime by profiling the wrong people.

August 29, 2017 11:59 AM MDT

So, what are "all the other things" you think he should have been charged with ? 

By the way, if he wasn't charged then he is presumed to be innocent. And apparently a Federal grand jury decided there was insufficient evidence to charge him with any additional crimes assuming a Federal prosecutor even brought them up for consideration. (Grand juries don't decide guilt, only if there's reasonable cause for a Court to actually try someone for an alleged crime so the prosecution has a pretty low bar to meet.) Legally the "not guilty" doesn't apply until someone has been charged with a crime and acquitted by a Court.

As to greasing palms, that how news department actually win awards. It's actually an exercise in mutual self-pleasuring for those newsies. And speaking of those awards, you didn't mention which ones were actually bestowed on those "award-winning" reporters.
      September 2, 2017 2:23 PM MDT

Again.....Trump has pardoned  1 person...with 1 nonviolent offense. 
    Obama nearly 2000, criminals with violent drug offenses, some with firearm convictions, etc.

August 26, 2017 8:12 PM MDT

Care to explain why Obama did that and what the heck you are talking out of your head about now? 

I'm sure.  Hello criminals.  You are pardoned.  For no reason except I am stupider than that Donald Trump guy.

Tell me what this even means?
      August 29, 2017 12:02 PM MDT

I am talking about the 1927 pardons and commutations  that President Obama issued. 
    1813 of them were for drug offenders many with firearms convictions as well. 

https://www.justice.gov/pardon/obama-commutations

August 29, 2017 12:12 PM MDT

Girls, girls, girls don't sully yourselves too much defending those who are unclean even by political standards. I applaud your passion and keep at it but don't devote yourself so much you can't reverse.
      August 31, 2017 9:50 PM MDT

Girls, girls, girls don't sully yourselves too much defending those who are unclean even by political standards. I applaud your passion and keep at it but don't devote yourself so much you can't reverse.
      August 31, 2017 9:49 PM MDT

Do you assume that Trump has invented a new wheel here?  Presidential pardons didn't initiate with his administration, so I hope your umbrage has a grandfather clause for all  the other US presidents' pardons of questionable convicts.
    __
      August 26, 2017 8:37 PM MDT

• Ummm ...  (never mind) This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at August 31, 2017 11:34 PM MDT
      August 26, 2017 8:49 PM MDT

I find Donald Chump's stupidity and moronic tendencies very disturbing.
      August 29, 2017 1:05 PM MDT

Anticipated.  So not surprising.

He's tough on crime and tougher on those who do not contribute to his getting nation-wide publicity.

August 29, 2017 1:22 PM MDT

Uhhh ... did you ever hear of a little tiff in the 1860's? 
    Just a minor spat, but it settled the whole "State's Rights" matter permanently.
    There are none, and the 10th Amendment was voided.
      August 29, 2017 2:21 PM MDT

• It was no more disturbing than Obama's release of terrorists from Gitmo.
      August 31, 2017 9:46 PM MDT