Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Death and Dying » Many countries have nuclear warheads from quite a few to quite a lot. How many deployed simultaneously would it take to blow up the world?

Many countries have nuclear warheads from quite a few to quite a lot. How many deployed simultaneously would it take to blow up the world?

Posted - August 29, 2017

Responses

First, you are aware that not all nuclear weapons are created equally? The largest tested so far had a yield of 100-megatons (set to 1/2 power so the bomber had a chance to escape before it burst). The smallest could be set for a yield of around 10-tons and could be deployed by a two-man crew with, basically, a recoilless rifle. Neither are in anyone's arsenals anymore (the big one never was, just a test device that the Soviets cobbled together).

But assuming that you mean total destruction as in the earth is turned to dust it would take one hell of a lot more that the sum total of those that currently exist. It's doubtful that enough fissionable material exists on the planet to make the number of weapons that it would take to do that. (The upper yield limit on a fission device is around 3/4-megaton. There is no upper limit on fusion devices but again there is an upper limit on the fusionable material available within human reach.) And that's just for now. Who knows what weapons technology is on the drawing board? 

Now, if you define destruction as in the disruption of society then a single weapon has that capability. 
      August 29, 2017 7:39 AM MDT

1,000,000,000,000. One trillion...I read it somewhere years ago.
      August 29, 2017 7:40 AM MDT

I'm pretty sure there aren't a trillion of them in the world. Thank you for your reply. That is an example of arcane knowledge of which I spoke on another thread Ele. :)
      August 31, 2017 2:27 AM MDT

Land is cheap in Antarctica. No one would bother to bomb it.
      August 29, 2017 7:49 AM MDT

But  it wouldn't have to be a direct target would it bh? I mean when a nuclear bomb drops how large is the area that is destroyed? Here comes another questions. See how it works? Thank you for your reply! :)
      August 31, 2017 2:29 AM MDT

There would be a disastrous nuclear winter long before the world actually blew up.

Wouldn't take that many.  

August 29, 2017 7:51 AM MDT

Nuclear winter is a myth.

The last major eruption of Krakatoa is estimated to have put over 11 cubic miles of dirt into the atmosphere and while that did drop atmospheric temperatures a couple of degrees for a few years (no more global warming) and made for some amazing sunsets it didn't devastate the planet. All the nuclear warheads ever to have been built couldn't come close to doing that.
      August 29, 2017 8:25 AM MDT

"Nuclear winter"? I have heard of it but don't really know what it is. I can  Google it. Thank you for your reply Malizz and Happy Thursday.
      August 31, 2017 2:30 AM MDT

• Firstly ... nuclear warheads are not all the same size.
    Secondly ... "The World" ... are you referring to it's inhabitants or the Earth? It makes a big difference in the number needed.
    Thirdly ... I researched four separate internet sires and got four different answers. (not very reassuring).
    Lastly ... If the aforementioned event comes to pass, I doubt that number, even if you know it, will be paramount in your thoughts.

So after all that ... "I can't answer your question."

August 29, 2017 8:06 AM MDT