Active Now

Malizz
Spunky
Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » Alzheimer's/Senility/Dementia. Dreaded conditions that can come with aging. One disappears within and never returns. What could be worse?

Alzheimer's/Senility/Dementia. Dreaded conditions that can come with aging. One disappears within and never returns. What could be worse?

Posted - September 12, 2017

Responses

It is perhaps worse for the relatives who actually know properly what is going on. 

The sufferer can sometimes be perfectly happy in the place they're at. 

This post was edited by Malizz at September 12, 2017 2:09 PM MDT
      September 12, 2017 6:15 AM MDT

Touche. You know Malizz I've often wondered what the affected person thinks/feels/sees? I think it would be a very scary place to be. Not knowing whom the people are who are there. Not knowing where you are. How do you get your balance? Where is there a safe place to be? It would be very good to know that the person afflicted isn't afraid...is content...is at peace.  But you can't communicate with them after a certain point. Thank you for your reply and Happy Tuesday! :) This post was edited by RosieG at September 12, 2017 2:13 PM MDT
      September 12, 2017 6:37 AM MDT

The hardest time for someone with dementia, of which Alzheimers is one type, is shortly after the onset when the person has some days or portions of days that are lucid and others that aren't.  They know there's something wrong, but they don't always know what it is.  Once they reached a more advanced stage, they don't know much of anything.  My mom doesn't recall anything from one moment to the next. 
      September 12, 2017 2:17 PM MDT

I am so sorry that your mom is afflicted with that m'dear. It must so difficult for all of you. I wonder if there will ever be a way to prevent it? Once you get it there is no cure is there? Does you mom ever show any signs of fear? I hope not. Thank you for your reply and Happy Wednesday! :)
      September 13, 2017 1:41 AM MDT

It's a very hard thing to go through because it can mean years and years in a nursing home.  So far, there is no real way to prevent it other than keeping your mind working, doing things that require you to use your brain - I do two crossword puzzles every day and I read all the time.  Who knows if that will make a difference.  My mom was an avid reader.  They have some medications that slow the progress, if you're lucky, but once afflicted, that's pretty much it unless they can find a cure.  She shows no signs at all of fear.  The only thing we've seen is that if you take her out of her daily environment, she gets anxious.  My sister and I took her out to lunch a few years ago and she was totally lost as to where she was, why she was there, and we gave her a menu, but she couldn't choose anything - it overwhelmed her.  At the nursing home, she doesn't have to make those decisions.   
      September 13, 2017 6:36 PM MDT

I can certainly understand being uncomfortable in strange places. I am that now. I'm always happier/cozier/safer when I'm at home. Home is my favorite place in the world to be and I cannot remember a time I didn't feel that way. I think I have a touch of agoraphobia. I don't know if this is true for you Spunky but I am very sensitive to "vibes". I can't think of any other word to describe it. Some environments are very welcoming and comforting and friendly and peaceful and relaxing. People too. I'm drawn to the welcomers and avoid those who make me feel uncomfortable. Some people and environments are hostile and I do NOT do well in such surroundings. Bless your mom and you and all your family. It's a sad time for all of you. Thank you for your thoughtful and informative reply and Happy Thursday! :)
      September 14, 2017 3:15 AM MDT

There aren't many places where I feel uncomfortable, but I do feel as though home is my refuge.  Happy Thursday. :)
      September 14, 2017 10:55 AM MDT

That must be nice. Feeling comfy wherever you are, mostly. Thank you for your reply Spunky and Happy Friday!  :)
      September 15, 2017 2:31 AM MDT

It is a nice feeling.  Of course, I'm sure there are places where I might not feel as comfortable - let's say being invited to Trump Tower for dinner, but ...   Happy Friday to you, too. :)
      September 15, 2017 7:31 AM MDT

Very true. My step-dad just passed away August 24. He had Parkinson's dementia (very similar to Alz). He always thought he was on a construction job and I was another worker. It was hard for us, esp for my mom as he didn't know any of us. 
      September 12, 2017 6:41 AM MDT

My dad was diagnosed with dementia and also had Parkinson's Disease which robbed him of his ability to speak.  He passed away at 93, but when you spoke to him, there was a light in his eyes that told us that he understood what was being said and I believe he recognized us up until the end.  My mom will be 93 in November, has also been diagnosed with dementia, doesn't know who we are, doesn't know who she is, speaks words that make no sense and her "conversation" is sprinkled with Yiddish words.  It is very disheartening to see this. 
      September 12, 2017 2:13 PM MDT

Sorry to hear that SpunkySenior. My step-dad had progressed to be much like you describe your mother.
      September 12, 2017 3:34 PM MDT

Thank you.  It is difficult, but there isn't much we can do, so we just visit as we used to.  She just sees friendly faces and that's OK. 
      September 12, 2017 8:33 PM MDT

What would be worse is if there was no one to care for them. If you make sure they are feed well, kept clean, comfortable, and give them attention (love), you would feel you are doing the best you can. This is the best thing you can do. How we treat our loved ones will make us feel good about ourselves, too. 
      September 12, 2017 3:15 PM MDT

Thank you for your reply Marguerite and Happy Wednesday! :)
      September 13, 2017 1:42 AM MDT