Active Now

Spunky
DannyPetti
Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » Would you like to see the surprised look on God's face if all the atheists suddenly decided to become Christians?

Would you like to see the surprised look on God's face if all the atheists suddenly decided to become Christians?

What do you think He would say?

Posted - September 19, 2017

Responses

I don't know which Bible you're using but in my copy Revelation 3;15-16 says nothing like you imply.

I could care less about how you feel about unicorns (unless you think that the Irish Rovers were right, that might be interesting). And it's not germane to this discussion.

I didn't say anything about Christ, just God. But are you disputing what I said or do you just feel a need to bloviate to mask your lack of knowledge on the subject?

And as to me thinking any of this is "dogma" . . . where the h do you come up with that? Again, just trying to divert attention away from your ignorance on the subject . . . pretty sad, really.
      September 25, 2017 6:16 PM MDT

Normally, I would engage you, but I find your knowledge of atheism, theism, and Christianity insufficient follow what I say without much extra effort on my part to explain.

But I will address this comment of yours.

Aside from the JW bible, the others are sufficiently clear.  You just prefer a different explanation than the one I gave.  Reread it and ask the Holy Spirit to show you what insight that passage can give you into your own life.

Perhaps

The fact that you do not care about how I feel about unicorns, coupled with your statement about its not being germane in an interesting insight into your intellectual life---I will not bother to modify my first sentence however.

The words are attributed to Christ.   Christ is the Word made flesh.  Do you also not believe in the trinity?

You said that "Atheists commit the only unforgivable sin, denying the very existence of God."  Dogma is a settled or established opinion, belief, or principle.  That's your dogma, and that makes you dogmatic---inclined to lay down principles as incontrovertibly true.

You used bloviate for me.  I shall use vacuous for you---it's the first word that came to my mind.
      September 26, 2017 9:44 AM MDT

Quote: "...But I will address this comment of yours.

Aside from the JW bible, the others are sufficiently clear...."
    Where did he or anyone else bring up the JW bible? 

I know you don't have any respect for the Bible but if you feel that some spirit is revealing to you something that is not there and was not revealed to any of the Bible writers, you would do well to ponder:
    (1 John 4:1) Beloved ones, do not believe every inspired statement, but test the inspired statements to see whether they originate with God, for many false prophets have gone out into the world.
      September 26, 2017 10:48 AM MDT

I've listened to JW's for over 50 years. I know personally see why your exegetes do not garner the esteem of their peers.

I have respect both for the Catholic Bible and the tradition of the Catholic Church.  If I have gone further than you, it is because I use both the those oars to propel my "boat."

And your beliefs are in line with one of those false prophets---I pondered that when I first came across the JW's; and I reached that precise and inescapable conclusion on my own. 
      September 26, 2017 12:58 PM MDT

I doubt you have listened to JW's. But then again, you always say that the Holy Spirit reveals to you that what is written in the Bible really means something else so perhaps some spirit is telling you that what JW's actually say really means something else as well. Sad. The Catholic Biblde and Catholic Church are mutually exclusive. 

What does this tell you in relation to rather or not the Father is the only true God or that there are three that make up the only true God?
    John 16:25 “I have said these things to you in figures of speech. The hour is coming when I will no longer speak to you in figures, but will tell you plainly of the Father.
    John 17:3  And this is eternal life, that they may know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom you have sent

As a Christian I believe that Christ is the head of every man, and the husband is the head of his wife, and God is the head of Christ. I also believe that there are many gods and many lords yet for us there is one God, the Father, from whom are all things and for whom we exist, and one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom are all things and through whom we exist. This is so simple, why don't you believe it? This post was edited by texasescimo at September 27, 2017 4:44 AM MDT
      September 27, 2017 4:33 AM MDT

Oh, my!

Such a "revered theologian" as yourself making such a vituperative attack on another's opinion . . . doesn't sound like a very pious approach to me. Perhaps it's your life that needs self-examination?

But given your high reverence, your expansive "knowledge" on the subject, I do have a few questions for you.

First, where do you come up with the JW Bible reference (I assume that you mean Jehovah's Witnesses Bible)? I actually consulted the Kink James version. But that brings up an interesting question . . . if the Bible is the actual, unadulterated word of God (except for that Jehovah's Witnesses Bible that you appear to think is so much "filth", of course) then just why are there so many different versions with all the different meaning translations? One would think that God wouldn't allow such adulterations to happen as that tome was translated, and re-translated. What's your explanation for that?

As to the Holy Trinity . . . can you show any reference to Christ's immortality that appeared anywhere before Roman Emperor Constantine convened the First Council of Nicaea in AD 325. (And while you're at it you can include a reference to Christ saying "to Caesar that which is Caesar's" prior to that meeting too.)

I seem to remember that God banished Caine to the land of Nod after he killed his brother Able. And there he took a wife. Just where did that woman come from and what was her name? Does that appear anywhere in the Bible?

Just a few questions off the top of my head, but I do have many more if you care to address them.

And as to the "unpardonable" sin and it being "Dogma".  Well of course it's dogma, just like the Holy Trinity that you cling to. But neither is my dogma, (apparently it's you dogma though?). The "unpardonable" sin reference appears in the Book of Mark and the Book of Revelations. Try reading them sometime.
      September 26, 2017 12:59 PM MDT

Not sure how you interpret Rev 3:15-16 into: "God's comment in the bible was that we should be either for Him or against Him or He would vomit us out of His mouth.  That implies He's OK with both Atheists and those who believe in Him."

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=rev+3%3A12-16&version=NASB;HCSB;NKJV;NLT;NRSVCE
    R
    ev 3:15-16 (NRSV Catholic)  “I know your works; you are neither cold nor hot. I wish that you were either cold or hot. 16 So, because you are lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I am about to spit you out of my mouth
      September 25, 2017 7:14 PM MDT

It amazes me that you---and not just the JW's---think of God as a natural but non-custodial father who left a book in our crib that contained all the knowledge that we needed to grow up, but that whatever insights beyond what the words imply outside of their context should be anathema to us.

The Holy Spirit was sent to us to help us from falling into that trap.

But since you---and many others---do not believe in the trinity, you cannot seek His help.

Perhaps you should ask yourself---"Have your own beliefs simply made you the child of a lesser god?" This post was edited by tom jackson at September 26, 2017 9:56 AM MDT
      September 26, 2017 9:55 AM MDT

Nice irrelevant dodge. Your Church apostatized from biblical Christianity a long long time ago. Throw out the Bible and claim Holy Spirit on all of the heinous deeds of your Church throughout history. Going back to the context of your post which as usual ignores the context of the Bible, how many atheist do you think were in the Congregation in Laodicea?

Shouldn't you have said 'their' rather than 'His' when referring to your 4th century trinity?

Don't ferget, ya just gotta believe as you are told:

https://www.newadvent.org/cathen/02033b.htm
    CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPEDIA: The Athanasian Creed

At various points the author calls attention to the penalty incurred by those who refuse to accept any of the articles therein set down.

The Father Incomprehensible, the Son Incomprehensible, and the Holy Ghost Incomprehensible

So likewise the Father is Almighty, the Son Almighty, and the Holy Ghost Almighty. And yet they are not Three Almighties but One Almighty.

So there is One Father, not Three Fathers; one Son, not Three Sons; One Holy Ghost, not Three Holy Ghosts. And in this Trinity none is afore or after Other, None is greater or less than Another, but the whole Three Persons are Co-eternal together, and Co-equal

Who, then, is the author? The results of recent inquiry make it highly probable that the Creed first saw the light in the fourth century, during the life of the great Eastern patriarch, or shortly after his death

The "damnatory", or "minatory clauses", are the pronouncements contained in the symbol, of the penalties which follow the rejection of what is there proposed for our belief. It opens with one of them: "Whosoever will be saved, before all things it is necessary that he hold the Catholic Faith". The same is expressed in the verses beginning: "Furthermore, it is necessary" etc., and "For the right Faith is" etc., and finally in the concluding verse: "This is the Catholic Faith, which except a man believe faithfully and firmly, he cannot be saved". Just as the Creed states in a very plain and precise way what the Catholic Faith is concerning the important doctrines of the Trinity and the Incarnation, so it asserts with equal plainness and precision what will happen to those who do not faithfully and steadfastly believe in these revealed truths..

.From a dogmatic standpoint, the merely historical question of the authorship of the Creed, or of the time it made its appearance, is of secondary consideration. The fact alone that it is approved by the Church as expressing its mind on the fundamental truths with which it deals, is all we need to know. 

EDIT:
    Just saw a thread that reminded me of when you make comments about the Bible.
    https://answermug.com/forums/topic/39676/do-you-like-commenting-about-something-you-know-nothing-about/view/post_id/357986

This post was edited by texasescimo at September 26, 2017 10:26 AM MDT
      September 26, 2017 10:15 AM MDT

I read the first 3 words of your reply and just tuned out.

I'm quite content that since we have opposing beliefs about the supernatural that only one of us can be correct.

I pray at night, thanking God for what I have, and I usually ask for some help from Christ which shows up within a few days.  I also ask for the Holy Spirit to continue to grace me with his specific gifts.

The Persons in the trinity give Their gifts how and to whom they will.  And they have suffered to allow me to understand my faith through the use of my reason.  (Probably the primary province of the Holy Spirit.)

They have not thought it necessary to explain your function to me---and they typically deal with us individually with regard to that anyway.

My faith (a gift from God) in the trinity continues to be affirmed daily.

I hope you sleep as well as I do. This post was edited by tom jackson at September 26, 2017 12:22 PM MDT
      September 26, 2017 12:20 PM MDT

Not surprised that you tuned out when I mentioned the Bible and Christianity. I don't doubt that you pray to the God of this world. Your prior comment referred to your man-made trinity as 'His' now you refer to it as 'Their' and 'They', a bit confused?
      September 27, 2017 4:22 AM MDT

'I'm quite content that since we have opposing beliefs about the supernatural that only one of us can be correct'.
    That is not the only possibility, you both could be 100% wrong, just as all religions cannot be correct but they can all be wrong.
      October 1, 2017 5:52 PM MDT

Is it not better to try to lead a life were you do not have anything to ask forgiveness for, be you atheist or believer?
      September 30, 2017 4:21 AM MDT

Do you think you can achieve that level of perfection? Not a snowball's chance in Hades that you can, no matter how hard you try. In fact, your response already threw humility out the window so maybe you should take a knee . . .  

You will ALWAYS be committing sins. 

October 1, 2017 5:44 PM MDT

I agree but I did say try.
      October 1, 2017 5:49 PM MDT

If god is all-knowing (which he's supposed to be), he wouldn't be surprised at all. Of course, I could get into the whole "in his prefect image" thing, and why make imperfect beings with free will if you're just going to punish them for not doing what they should. After all, being all-knowing, he would know most of us would fail, and he'd therefore be creating beings just so he could ostracize them for doing exactly what he expected them to do. Kind of f-ed up, if you ask me. Seriously. Is there some kind of article that gives a modern-day clinical diagnosis to god? I would totally love to see that. Lets see, I bet narcissistic personality disorder would be high on the list. And, creating beings with the intent to turn them into outcasts or punish them would make him a sociopath. Hmm... creating a baby with an unwilling and unknowing woman would make him a rapist. That's not a clinical diagnosis though... umm... I need to work on that. I think causing floods and killing people at will would qualify him for antisocial personality disorder as well. Didn't he wipe out entire populations in a mass genocide? Would those be considered war crimes? What's the clinical diagnosis for that? 

Eh, my point is, god doesn't exist, and if he did, we'd seriously need to call the Ghostbusters or something to deal with him because he gets up to some crazy sh!t when nobody's limiting his power. 
      September 26, 2017 1:00 PM MDT

If God has a surprised look it is for your benefit.  God doesn't feel surprised.

How could He?
      September 26, 2017 2:48 PM MDT

God, would like nothing better than to see many attain salvation. (2peter3:9)
      October 10, 2017 11:39 PM MDT