Active Now

Discussion » Questions » Outside the Mug » Stamp collecting, coin collecting, antique collecting... what are some interesting or weird things people have gotten into collecting?

Stamp collecting, coin collecting, antique collecting... what are some interesting or weird things people have gotten into collecting?

Posted - September 22, 2017

Responses

I used to collect National Geographics which is not that weird.  It is what I used to do with them that was a bit off the wall.

I would take them to work on my boring sales jobs and when I was on the phone on autodial, I would cut the pictures out and glue them on my desk.  By the time I quit (sometimes years later) the entire area was a huge collage.  You can only get away with that, if they need you to SELL.

LOL  I did that for years. No one stopped me and no one else copied it. 

I'm serious, one woman who owned a Time Share sales operation called me up after I quit, told me they were closing and the furniture was being thrown away, and did I want my desk and chair since I worked on them so hard?

L:OL
      September 22, 2017 10:13 AM MDT

I collected coins for more than 50 years and gave them to my children. I kept a few Canadian coins (as you know). I also had a fossil collection and gave most of those to my grand children, but I kept a few and donated one to our University geology dept. A Professor there said he had never seen anything like it. I also gave much of my mineral collection away. My wife kept a few for decoration.
      September 22, 2017 10:14 AM MDT

I wish you lived next-door.  I really love you.

What a pal you would have made up close and personal.

Just Asking would visit too, I bet.

September 22, 2017 10:16 AM MDT

Can I assume you like minerals and fossils too. I will have to ask JA.
      September 22, 2017 10:18 AM MDT

Yes.. I started a stamp collection when I was young  but lost interest when I left home.  Mother gave a lot of my stuff away to my younger cousins.  Hmm -many of the stamps I paid small money for came to be worth lots of dollars if I still had them now. Even if she would have asked me I guess I probably would have said 'ya give 'em away'. I had begun to specialize in collecting old Canadian stamps. 
      September 22, 2017 10:38 AM MDT

Shoes.....I have more than I can count......:)
      September 22, 2017 3:48 PM MDT

I collect Lizzie Borden Collector Plates
      September 22, 2017 4:52 PM MDT

I never got into it.  I like things to be complete and collections rarely are............there is always just one more xxxxx to find. 
      September 22, 2017 6:09 PM MDT