Active Now

Danilo_G
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Entertainment » Can anyone explain what's so fun about sitting at a bar?

Can anyone explain what's so fun about sitting at a bar?

I don't get it. $15 drinks and pretentious people. Why would anyone want to go and rack up a $100 bar tab in one night, just to stare at four walls and BS? Why not have a night in, and play board games, and make the same drinks for $2? What's the appeal to going to a bar?

Posted - September 24, 2017

Responses

• For a lot of people, it's about meeting other people and hooking up. That's never been why I've gone to bars, though. Sometimes it's just fun to be out at night, going from bar to bar. I don't think I could stay too long in one bar, though, especially if it's one of those places that's so loud you can hardly even have a conversation with anybody. 
      September 24, 2017 4:11 PM MDT

So what do you do while bar hopping? What's the appeal to that?
      September 24, 2017 4:18 PM MDT

• Being with my friends, talking to them, getting drunker as the night goes on...this is what I did last time I went bar hopping. Then at the end we stayed in one restaurant until it closed, got some food, and talked for the rest of the night while we sobered up. I liked it :)
      September 24, 2017 4:22 PM MDT

Fair enough. Thank you. :)
      September 24, 2017 4:25 PM MDT

1. The chronic hope of getting laid.
    2. An escape from the family.
    3. Avoiding being alone.
    4. Catching up with friends.
    5. Relaxing with friends after a rough work day.
    6. see #1.
      September 24, 2017 4:13 PM MDT

But if all those could be done by meeting up at someone's house, why go to a bar? What makes the bar special?
      September 24, 2017 4:19 PM MDT

How do you meet new people outside of your circle at your's or another person's house? 
    Sometimes being some place that doesn't have any kind of personal connection, some place new, some place that's neutral territory, is needed by some people.  Not everyone is a home body or feels the need to have a personal connection with their surroundings.  I like experiencing new things..food, places, people.  Although I'll admit to you, for me, a bar is the last place I want to be to meet new people. But, for others, it's the first place they think of.  
      September 24, 2017 7:36 PM MDT

Aha! That explains it. I think it's that whole meeting new people thing that I can't identify with. Well, it's actually the part before that, about having a circle. That would involve people, and I like people as much as you love the sing-song sound of children's voices as they play. ;)
      September 25, 2017 1:18 AM MDT

Harry wrote:

1. The chronic hope of getting laid.
    6. see #1.

Pfffft, who needs a bar setting for that?  Just hang around ol' Randy D enough, and your chances of getting slammed increase exponentially.  

~
      September 25, 2017 9:27 PM MDT

*slips into the seat next Randy D*   :-D
      September 25, 2017 10:03 PM MDT

Oh, it's like that, I see.  So tell me what a nice woman like you is doing in a place like this . . .

~
      September 27, 2017 1:41 PM MDT

Woo hoo!  Looks like I'm about to get lucky!
      September 27, 2017 4:07 PM MDT

:)
      September 27, 2017 5:34 PM MDT

Socializing in a convivial atmosphere. A couple drinks, catching up with friends, doing karaoke (our local pub does that on Friday nights). Sitting at the bar getting blind is a sad way to spend an evening. No point in that.

($15 drinks? WTF are you drinking? My wife and I spent $50 last Friday and that was between the two of us.) This post was edited by Slartibartfast at September 25, 2017 6:33 AM MDT
      September 24, 2017 4:22 PM MDT

Lols

I get it when you're at a bar and you're playing pool or darts or doing karaoke. That makes sense to me. I don't understand just sitting there.

My friend is more into the swanky cocktail lounges, where the drinks start at about $8 and go up from there. There are places that I feel more comfortable in that will sell a bottle of cider for $2-3 or a rum and coke for about the same.

This is a menu from one of the places I recently went to:

So, you pay $10-12 and get something that looks like this:

Some of the drinks are bigger. 

But I can't see spending $10-12 for that. This particular bar also sells the equivalent of a "vat" of booze to be shared by two people. I think it's $30-35.

September 24, 2017 4:40 PM MDT

Whats in there the whole bar??? i’m talking about the $35 one

September 25, 2017 9:46 PM MDT

If I remember right, that one is the "Rum Keg." (White Puerto Rican rum, overproof Jamaican rum, passion fruit, pineapple, and lemon.) Again, though, it's designed to be shared.
      October 4, 2017 7:55 PM MDT

I used to go to a Steak and Ale bar in the afternoons many years ago.  I was usually the only one there.  It was dark, quiet, had a fireplace going during the winter.

I lived in an apartment at the time and it served as a my "den."

Personally, I never enjoyed "bar hopping"---it took too much effort and energy.
      September 24, 2017 4:27 PM MDT

So you'd just go and sit? I still don't get it. Why there and not your own living room? 
      September 24, 2017 4:42 PM MDT

I went there to think---in a calm, quiet, environment conclusive to that activity..  That was forty years ago.  Now I sit in my den and think.

When I retired two years ago, my wife used to walk by while I was in my recliner and ask "Whatcha doin?"   My answer was, "I'm thinking."

She has adapted now to letting me know that she wants to ask me something, so that I can stop thinking and be able to pay attention to her. 
      September 24, 2017 5:29 PM MDT

I see. 
    Thank you for elaborating. :)
      September 24, 2017 8:37 PM MDT

She asked me a few times what I was thinking about.  One answer was "Aristotle's explanation of multiplicity in the order of existence."

After a few more answers like that, she switch from "Whatcha doing?" to "what are you thinking about this time?"

Now when she walks by, she just says "Hi."
      September 25, 2017 9:44 AM MDT

It only took me a few visits to bars in my early 20s to figure out that there was nothing for me in those places.  I don't drink alcohol anyway, so that took away 50% of any reason for being there, but being a young horny guy on the prowl, that atmosphere in no way enhanced either my desire or my chances for scoring.  The supposed "allure" of bars and night clubs wore of off quickly enough that I never got into that lifestyle, and I'm glad.

~
    This post was edited by Randy D at September 25, 2017 9:29 PM MDT
      September 24, 2017 6:29 PM MDT

wore off. Glad to see you back.
      September 25, 2017 6:32 AM MDT