Active Now

Chief Ten Beers
Discussion » Questions » Diet and Fitness » Would you disclose your dietary restrictions when you are invited to dine at someone's place?

Would you disclose your dietary restrictions when you are invited to dine at someone's place?

Posted - September 25, 2017

Responses

• If they were allergen-related, I would, because it could be dangerous if I didn't. Otherwise, I'm not quite sure; I don't have any dietary restrictions. 
      September 25, 2017 10:47 PM MDT

Oh yes, if they are allergen-related, agree!
      September 25, 2017 11:03 PM MDT

I don't eat meat or animal so I am not going to be polite and eat that.  I am pretty much vegetarian.  I do eat some fish.

Otherwise I am pretty easy to please.

September 25, 2017 10:49 PM MDT

Agree Sharonna, one mustn't be forced to eat what they dislike.
      September 25, 2017 11:04 PM MDT

I don't have any dietary restrictions but if I were actually allergic to something I would politely decline to eat something that could kill me.  If I were just intolerant to something I would just eat it but I would take it with a supplement.

I'm a heathen so I don't have any religious dietary restrictions but I have some family members who are religious and do have dietary restrictions.  I don't know how they stand it lol.
      September 25, 2017 11:38 PM MDT

LOL Livvie I too follow religious dietary restrictions;))
      September 27, 2017 6:47 PM MDT

Unless I'm asked about my diet, I don't say anything. I do usually bring a side my family will eat, as a gesture to the hostess and to make sure we don't make a scene of not eating. I tend to prefer a vegetarian diet, but there are certain types of meat I'll eat. The only time that really nailed me was the first time I attended dinner at my mother-in-law's house. She served "steak pie." It was bits of steak and sausage in a gravy base in a pie crust. I didn't get a say in the matter- they just served it up on my plate. I didn't have the heart to tell her I never eat that stuff, so I ate it all and was very, very sick after dinner. lol She found out later and said she wished she would have known. I felt bad she even found out. From that day on, though, anytime she made a meat meal, she always doubled the veggies or bought a single serve veggie lasagna for me to eat. lol She's a very sweet woman. I would never ask a host to go out of their way for me, though. I think it's poor form.
      September 26, 2017 12:23 AM MDT

Next time can I have your steak pie? Didn't you grow up eating brats in WI?
      September 26, 2017 7:19 AM MDT

lol My parents had this horrible rule that I had to eat everything on my plate, even if I didn't like it and even if it made me sick. And, my mom was a terrible cook. Everything we got was prepared poorly, under-cooked, burnt, gristly, or just plain nasty, so just about every time we got meat, it made me sick. This is why I hate a lot of foods to this day. Some, I can't even stand the smell of. So, yes, I ate brats growing up, but I'm not really a fan of them today for that reason. I've gotten over some food aversions as an adult, but meat will never appeal to me by and large, and because my body isn't used to having it, it messes up my digestive system when I do have it. :/

I'm divorced now, so steak pie is no longer on my menu. You're out of luck. Sorry, E.
      September 26, 2017 12:41 PM MDT

LOL JA....your response reminded me of my mom's recent visit, whenever we were invited to a dinner, my mom will pack a tiny home-made meal...no one complained they just laughed ....;))
      September 27, 2017 6:50 PM MDT

I dont have any dietary requirements. I just try to eat what is set before me, There are things I do not like, but only in extreme cases (eg: Avocado or boiled bacon) do I refuse to eat,
      September 26, 2017 3:11 AM MDT

Boiled bacon??
      September 26, 2017 7:19 AM MDT

It is something eldrly people eat in Jutland. Take a side if bacon and boil it for a couple of hours until it is all soft and blubbery. Then cut it into pieces and eat it for dinner. This post was edited by JakobA the unAmerican. at September 28, 2017 4:42 AM MDT
      September 26, 2017 7:25 AM MDT

Sounds nasty.
      September 26, 2017 8:17 AM MDT

OMG just the thought of that makes me want to puke.
      September 26, 2017 12:41 PM MDT

Oh avocado can be made delicious too, Jackoba;))
      September 27, 2017 6:51 PM MDT

So people say, I have never found it so,
      September 27, 2017 9:59 PM MDT

Guacamole? Burritos without Guacamole are unthinkable 
      September 28, 2017 4:38 AM MDT

Although there are certain foods I don't eat anymore, and certain ones I don't like, I never say anything.  If I've been invited to someone's house to eat, I will eat whatever the host, or hostess, has cooked for me.  I was taught as a child, through a very firm hand, it was impolite to say anything.  As other's have said, if I was aware of a food I was allergic to, I would say something.

So, whatever you cook dear, I will eat it.  I await your invite. ;-)

This post was edited by Harry at September 27, 2017 6:52 PM MDT
      September 26, 2017 4:23 AM MDT

Harry...whenever you post this gif I giggle uncontrollably...;)) yes dear, at home, I was always told to eat everything laid out ...and not to be fussy....you don't need an invitation, the door is always open for you, Harry;))
      September 27, 2017 6:56 PM MDT

Yay!! :-D
      September 28, 2017 4:43 AM MDT

Only that I can't eat mollusks. I can't keep them down.
    My wife has to, she's intolerant of gluten. Wheat flour affects her thyroid and her throat starts to close up.
      September 26, 2017 4:35 AM MDT

I am a very picky eater and have become expert at moving food around to make it look like I've eaten. Also, if I disclose allergies beforehand, then I can't claim to be allergic to something when I am unexpectedly served something I don't like. 
      September 26, 2017 5:16 AM MDT

LOL Jane you are brilliant;))
      September 27, 2017 6:57 PM MDT