Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Is the U.S. way more racist than you thought it was?

Is the U.S. way more racist than you thought it was?

Posted - September 30, 2017

Responses

No, because I always thought that a considerable portion of its citizens is racist. History certainly suggests as much, and not only until the 1960s.

What has changed over the past few years is that I now consider many well-meaning people part of the problem as well--to the extent that I'm close to viewing anyone bringing up race in any way as perpetuating the issue, even if they don't intend to and seem to have a good reason for mentioning it.
      September 30, 2017 11:15 AM MDT

• No, not really.  Nor do I think it is really anymore or less harboring of racism than any other developed nation  ( it is exponentially higher in Asia,  Africa, and 2nd/3rd/4th world countries).   If anything it's a strong and broad garuntee of freedom of speach that gives racist the ability and comfort to admit were in places like Western Europe only the most dedicated and active racist are willing to risk voicing their opinions.  The casuals aren't as willing to voice it since it can get you into legal trouble quite often.
      September 30, 2017 11:20 AM MDT

• I didn't expect to see neo-Nazis marching with torches on college campuses, let's put it that way. I'm disappointed in this country right now. I know there are some who want a second civil war, and I hope they do not get their wish. 
      September 30, 2017 11:43 AM MDT

Not really, but it has received less publicity until recently because of bullying by the politically correct classes. 
      September 30, 2017 11:45 AM MDT

Not much :-))
      September 30, 2017 12:11 PM MDT

Dear Zack,

You have known me for years on here.  You know I am not young.  You know I have seen a lot.  You know I was in Chicago most of my younger years and saw every type of racial slur and minority bashing imaginable.  So much so, that I could not at first understand that Latinos down here feel abused.  Compared to Chicago, I didn't even notice.

But, that said?  Despite all that?

I had NO idea that it was this bad.  And the fact that it is still going on just baffles and amazes me.  There are two types of people.  Those who don't see color at all.  And those who see nothing else.

So sad.

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at September 30, 2017 1:51 PM MDT
      September 30, 2017 12:17 PM MDT

September 30, 2017 12:30 PM MDT

It's worse than I thought it was, yes. Now that the dotard in chief has encouraged "white" people to be "proud of their heritage", I'm amazed, sickened and saddened at the number of hateful and ignorant people in this country. And even within my own family. :( 
      September 30, 2017 12:47 PM MDT

No.  Not at all.
      September 30, 2017 2:48 PM MDT

i think theres racism everywhere
      September 30, 2017 3:58 PM MDT

Eh, yes and no. I'm more shocked by how vocal people are being about it now than by the numbers. 
      September 30, 2017 4:10 PM MDT

.....it's like a sleeping beast/virus has been re:energized 
    that was vibrant in the shadows and now is rearing
    it's ugly head of division, separation, destruction,
    fueled by a fearful, hateful, chauvinistic psychopath 
    with Satanistic colorings of White nationalism,
    that is interested not in helping humanity,
    but in creating racial divides of chaos,
    and bringing himself to the center of attention 
    as fake news of doing so much good for everyone....
      September 30, 2017 4:15 PM MDT