Active Now

Malizz
Echooos
Swoop62
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Sports » "Beautifully brutal". What comes to mind when you think of this?

"Beautifully brutal". What comes to mind when you think of this?

Tripple G (GGG) is the hunter. Canelo is the hunted. Seals may escape a great white shark attack, but they can't beat the shark. Canelo got lucky this time. 

Posted - October 1, 2017

Responses

being too brutal
      October 1, 2017 3:21 PM MDT

Hi Righty! This is what I think of......:-)

October 1, 2017 4:13 PM MDT

The only 'sport' that I am aware of where the objective is to inflict brain damage on your opponent.
      October 1, 2017 5:20 PM MDT

Objective is to win. Objective is to hit, and not get hit. Objective is to make sure you don't get brain damage yourself. lol 
      October 2, 2017 8:54 AM MDT

And the fastest way to win, thus reducing the chance of being hit is by a KO and a KO is indeed brain damage.
      October 4, 2017 12:54 PM MDT

Concussion doesn't always cause permanent damage. A relatively soft tap on "the button" can stun a person for more than 10 seconds, and at flyweight it's more like a game of tag, the guys usually don't have the power to hurt each other. Speed and finesse are what gets the points in the lighter divisions.
      October 4, 2017 3:25 PM MDT

While I agree with you that concussion does not always lead to permanent brain damage, it is still damage to the brain, hence brain damage.

Jaw Impact

A punch to the jaw causes the head to suddenly spin around. This quick motion of causes trauma to the brain that knocks the recipient out leaving him unconscious. Points on the jaw that are especially vulnerable to knockouts are the sides of the chin, and where the jaw is attaches to the skull.

Acceleration and Deceleration

When the jaw is punched, the head quickly accelerates around. After a fraction of a second, it quickly decelerates as muscles, tendons, and bones prevent the head from spinning any further. The brain inside the skull is floating in fluid. It accelerates slower than the rest of the head. This forces it to crash into the inside of the skull when the head stops.

Brain Trauma

When the brain slams into the inside of the skull, it suffers trauma. It then bounces off the inside of the skull and slams into the opposite side. This causes even more trauma. Depending on the force of the punch, this can happen several times before the brain comes to rest inside the skull.

Nervous System Response

The trauma to the brain stimulates an overwhelming number of neurotransmitters to fire at the same time. This essentially overloads the nervous system sending it into a state of temporary paralysis. The person who is hit in the jaw loses consciousness and his muscles relax. The injured person falls to the ground with no memory of being hit.

Recovery

A person who is knocked out by a punch to the jaw suffers a severe concussion. It can take anywhere from several seconds to several minutes to regain consciousness. It all depends on the severity of the brain trauma. In mild cases, the person who is knocked out can shake off the punch with little more than a headache. In severe cases, brain trauma from a knockout punch to the jaw can cause cerebral bleeding and death.

October 4, 2017 4:32 PM MDT

The ones who are more likely to have long-term brain damage are the ones who have a long career. And the ones who have the longer career are the ones who are good at it (because they wouldn't get paid for so long otherwise). In a fighter's early pro days, the opposition isn't generally of a high standard, and the fights are scheduled for less rounds. But as a good fighter progresses up the ranks, the opposition becomes tougher, they hit harder, and the fight can last up to 12 rounds. Those are generally the most dangerous fights. And it's why defensive skills, like Floyd Jr excels at, are so important. Legends like James Toney, Riddick Bowe and Floyd Sr have noticeable CTE damage when they speak. Even Shane Mosely, who hasn't been retired that long, is now starting to show signs of it in his speech. It isn't always caused by one good punch. It's also from the accumulation of shots they withstood. Because EVERYONE hits hard at the elite level. 
      October 4, 2017 8:27 PM MDT

Pound-for-pound the greatest in his day. Hit too hard for his own good, he used to shatter the bones in his own hands.

October 1, 2017 5:43 PM MDT

Never heard of this guy before. Thanks.
      October 2, 2017 8:54 AM MDT

Ducati motorcycles
      October 1, 2017 10:02 PM MDT

Nausea.

I don't get this whole thing.

Beating up or slamming people keeps me in business, that is all I know.   I treat injured muscles.

Why they do it?  I don't get it. I'm not judging it, it is no worse than most contact sports.  But, I don't get it.

It is like a charade of pain.  Why is that entertaining? 

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at October 4, 2017 4:02 PM MDT
      October 2, 2017 8:58 AM MDT

Shar, I've always loved boxing.  What's not to like, watching two grown a$$ed men legally beat the living crap out of each other?   We should make it legal for men who do really stupid a$$ things that they can go to jail for, instead, being forced to take a serious beat down by the World Heavyweight Champion.  I'd pay to watch that kind of stuff! ;-)
      October 2, 2017 9:07 AM MDT

OH  I'm SORRY.

I love boxing.  I thought this was that fake wrestling stuff.

MY bad.

Love boxing.  I'm nuts and a hypocrite, but I get that one.  
      October 4, 2017 3:31 PM MDT

soRRY, IGNORE THAT INSANE PERSON ABOVE WITH MY NAME.

I LOVE BOXING.  i THOUGHT IT WAS ABOUT WRESTLING.

October 4, 2017 3:32 PM MDT

• "10,000 hp"

October 4, 2017 4:49 PM MDT