Active Now

CosmicWunderkind
Malizz
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » Do you think atheists should have Book which tells 'em what to believe, think, say and do? Who would inspire anyone to write such a Book?

Do you think atheists should have Book which tells 'em what to believe, think, say and do? Who would inspire anyone to write such a Book?

Posted - October 2, 2017

Responses

To believe, think, say and do? Sounds like the bible. Put together by manipulating governing psychopaths to moderate its subjects. You could change the title to; "A medieval guide on how to keep your country crime free". Now be a good boy by working 16 hours a day for peanuts without complaining, no rebelling, pay me tax like a good boy, and you'll be socially respected and you'll go to heaven, okay? 

Atheists don't need a bible. 
      October 2, 2017 9:49 AM MDT

I don't think secular law is much different right1, with regards to working 16 hours a week, paying taxes, no complaining, no rebelling etc. They've simply replaced God with CCTV cameras and invasion of privacy laws on laptops, TV's and mobile phones under the guise of terrorism.
      October 2, 2017 10:32 AM MDT

1.  No, no need.  They don't believe in a higher power so there isn't any need to tell them what to believe, think, say, and do.

2.  The same people who inspired men to write the Bible, the Koran, and all religions that follow scriptures. 
      October 2, 2017 10:16 AM MDT

No need, politics, and media do that sort of programming now.
      October 2, 2017 10:34 AM MDT

• Don't they have Richard Dawkins for that?

Any ideology could potentially have a "book", whether religious or not, but atheism is simply one belief that entails other beliefs, but it's not an organized doctrine. Some atheists are nihilists, some are existentialists, some are Kantians, etc. There's no one philosophical orientation that all atheists have.

And even though religious people have "books", they still disagree on the interpretation of that book and what the book is telling them to do or believe. So even that is no guarantee of unity. 
      October 2, 2017 10:58 AM MDT

Richard Dawkins and similar books would just be considered supplementare reading. 
      October 2, 2017 11:29 AM MDT

I would disagree when you say 'atheism is simply one belief that entails other beliefs', atheism to me is simply a refusal to accept, without a shred of evidence, a claim that there is a god, there is no belief involved, it is a lack of belief.
      October 2, 2017 5:54 PM MDT

That sounds like a doctrine of belief.

This premise is completely counter to the basic position of atheism, so no, it would be beyond a waste of time. 
      October 2, 2017 11:24 AM MDT

Some atheists do try to preach what others should or should not believe.  I wouldn't mind finding a book of enlightenment that explains how some paranormal phenomena  (ghosts,  et al) CAN exist with an explanation how such things are possible. As well as shunning militant atheism; live and let live philosophy. How some things are possible that religious people claim only God or an Intelligent Designer could do...
      October 2, 2017 11:52 AM MDT

I would like some evidence that any paranormal phenomena even exist.

On your 'How some things are possible that religious people claim only God or an Intelligent Designer could do',

As to the origine of life, we have two options...
    Abiogenisis - life originated from inanimate material.
    Biogenisis - life created life.

I would not agree with with the religious view that gives no option other than a 'creator' but that aside as I see it we have two choices, one being with a creator (god like) or a natural occurrence.

I am listing two videos below, please watch the first one between 50:00 and 57:00. This shows Paul Nelson, the scientific head at Discovery Institute (on of the leading creationist foundations), in this clip he clearly states TWICE what it would take to make him reconsider his belief in ID/creation. After watching that clip, please have a look at the second clip between approx 15:00 and 25:00.

October 2, 2017 5:46 PM MDT

I can assume paranormal phenomena exists when many people claim to have similar experiences then the challenge is to try explain how. Long time ago I moved into a room that was unmistakably occupied by a ghost; clearly district footsteps heard during the night. Landlady said that began to happen after a previous tenant had committed suicide. Perhaps a ghost sort of thing can occur as a residual effect from a deceased person. No belief in supernatural elements required. Same as other paranormal phenomena. 
    The placebo effect is genuine; spontaneous recovery from terminal ailment does occur; story of a woman lifting about 1500 pounds of a car so her child pinned underneath could be rescued... i'm inclined to think  invisible natural forces do exist in some way -not created or controlled by the  person of a God. 
    I'll have a look at the videos.  I do get a regular newsletter from Discovery Institute to keep up to date what their 'discoveries' are. This post was edited by Kittigate at October 2, 2017 6:38 PM MDT
      October 2, 2017 6:20 PM MDT

'Perhaps a ghost sort of thing can occur as a residual effect from a deceased person. No belief in supernatural elements required' If you feel that this is possible then you have a belief in supernatural elements and are coming at it from a presuppositional perspective.
    You are correct when you say the placebo effect is genuine but that is not supernatural, it is merely mind over matter, the patient's mind being tricked into acting on the patient's matter.
    I would not hold my breath waiting for the Discovery Institute to discover anything, simply because they are coming from a
     presuppositional stance resulting in anything they find that is not in agreement with their presupposition is ignored and as yet they have found nothing to support their presupposition.
    Thank you for taking the time to view the videos, actually the first link is worth viewing in its entirety, if you feel you have enough interest and time to do so 
      October 2, 2017 7:35 PM MDT

Exactly.
      October 2, 2017 6:29 PM MDT

who would write such a book?
    Someone trapped within the confines of the mind.
    Solid thought structure as thick as a brick.
    Ego so strong and rigid and locked within disbelief
    because nothing has been experienced beyond the 
    walls of the mind....Ce' la Vie.
       No convincing such a person that
    there is something to be experienced beyond those brick walls.
    When the time is right, an experience beyond
    time and space will break down those walls of
    disbelief. At some time the heart will open
    up to let such an experience happen
    but...no until the right moment occurs
    for such a realization to be experienced,
    will the ego dissolve to let the
    experience of that light beyond time and space
    be experienced. But everything is as it should be.
    evolution is endless...
    .....some day...things will evolve for such a person.

October 2, 2017 1:35 PM MDT

What you describe is spirituality, not just religion, Baba. Correct me if I am mistaken, but it sounds to me as if you feel spirituality is beyond the scope or capability of atheists. 

If this is your position, then please recuse yourself from further discussions of atheism. You are misrepresenting us. Religions of god worship are but forms of spirituality, and are not a prerequisite for being spiritual. 

Count Buddhism as a case for my point. No gods observed. Perhaps it’s philosophies may be considered a guide text for a form of atheism. 

The only constant in the views of atheists is the dismissal of claims of supernatural gods. That’s it. If an all encompassing “Atheist Book of Doctrine” were to be written, it would consist entirely of only one sentence to this effect: 

“The Way of the Atheist is the nonsupport of claims of supernatural deities.
                                                         ... Amen.”

This post was edited by Don Barzini at October 2, 2017 7:21 PM MDT
      October 2, 2017 5:21 PM MDT

I fail to see why such a book is either wanted or needed, after all atheism is the default position for everyone, it is only after indoctrination that books are needed in order to keep the 'faithful' in line with the faith. If a person needs a book of fairy stories in order to decide what it right and what is wrong and then follow the 'rules' only under threat of eternal damnation then I am sorry but they are a very poor example of a human being.
      October 2, 2017 2:53 PM MDT

I see no big need for such a book, people who feel such a need would probably be better off joining one of the established religions. There is much in all of them that most any atheist will agree with ;-))

October 2, 2017 6:26 PM MDT

Some of them sure act like there's some atheist bible, the ones that accuse you of not being a "real atheist" for various reasons. Usually if you don't bash religious people hard enough or if you think they're a jerk for acting that way towards those with religious beliefs.
      October 2, 2017 6:28 PM MDT

"Do you think atheists should have Book which tells 'em what to believe, think, say and do? Who would inspire anyone to write such a Book?"

That may be incompatible for them almost by definition

You see if theists are on one side of the coin then atheists are on the flip side of that coin.

The prefix "a" in aTHEIST is a prefix of negation as in MORAL and aMORAL

So whereas theists have God atheists have NO god

Whereas theists have scriptures atheists have NO scriptures

Whereas theists have common sets of laws and morals that define their conducts atheists have NO common sets of laws or morals that define their conducts

and so on
      October 7, 2017 5:12 PM MDT

• You can write all the books you want but you cannot force anyone to believe what they're saying. It has to be a conscious and willing choice to believe them. An act of faith if you will.

October 9, 2017 10:00 PM MDT