Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » SIN. MORTAL SIN. Are they the same or different? If different, how?

SIN. MORTAL SIN. Are they the same or different? If different, how?

Posted - October 13, 2017

Responses

You are good Tom, you have found yet another way to say that you have no proof.
      October 14, 2017 2:15 PM MDT

Sin is a concept to be understood, not a word to be defined. (And extremely difficult for those who lack belief in any gods.)  "Mortal" (as in deadly) is a "deal breaker" of sorts and requires some significant remediation to regain supernatural life.  "Venial" (denoting a sin that is not regarded as depriving the soul of divine grace). is more like something that narrows the channels through which supernatural life flows to us.

It is true that "mortal" sin involve serious matter, the "sinner is aware of the seriousness, and he fully intends to do it anyway.  While that is technically true, it's more an attempt to point out that you really have to have wanted to get to Hell if you wind up there.

But if you really like "Fairy Stories" they by all means read posts on here by those who do not believe in God, have never looked at Him as a believer might, and yet still answer questions about Him and the Church He established.

October 13, 2017 9:31 PM MDT

Exactly which church would that be, certainly not the one you worship in.
      October 13, 2017 10:18 PM MDT

Catholic---the one you seem to know absolutely nothing about.
      October 14, 2017 12:19 PM MDT

Now Tom as I see it your god is responsible for three religions and thousands of offshoot cults.
      October 14, 2017 2:17 PM MDT

Confirmation that you know nothing about it

The primary job of a critic is to cut down flowers.  What else do you do?
      October 14, 2017 2:35 PM MDT

So let me get this straight, are you saying that the Jewish, the Christian and the Muslim religions all have different gods?

How exactly does this 'The primary job of a critic is to cut down flowers.  What else do you do? verbal diarrhea fit in or is it yet another of your useless throw away word salads? 
      October 14, 2017 4:00 PM MDT

The Old Testament is the history of a people and the God they understood.  That God then established a new reality by which He extended the "good news" to the Gentiles and established His Church.  Neither the Jews nor Islam thinks that God is triune. So in a very real sense, they do have "different" "gods."

To turn a comment I made to you back to apply to me is laziness and best and a lack of ability at worst.  Plus, you are the critic, not me.

At any rate, You have provided a lot of information to all of us that suggests which situation applies---why not wait and reply a little later?
      October 14, 2017 9:12 PM MDT

I am going to make an assumption here and that is that you are aware that Allah is simply the Arabic word for god and that even Arabic Christians use the word Allah when referring to god?

Say ye: "We believe in Allah, and the revelation given to us, and to Abraham, Isma'il, Isaac, Jacob, and the Tribes, and that given to Moses and Jesus, and that given to (all) prophets from their Lord: We make no difference between one and another of them: And we bow to Allah (in Islam)." (Surah Al-Baqara, 136

If Jesus had a different god than the god of the Jews, then which god did he speak with when praying or was he talking to himself?

It would help if you actually indicated which comment you are referring to when you say I turned it round?

It would also help if you were to actually tell myself and others which 'situation applies'
      October 15, 2017 5:17 AM MDT

Is the concept of Mortal Sin unique to the Catholic segment of Christianity tom? Is that why there is Confession? I know little about it. When I was young we attended an Armenian Apostolic Church. That's kinda like Greek Orthodox. How close that is to Catholicism I don't know. I taught Sunday School at a Presbyterian church when I was 12. Yep. I was precocious.  I attended a Unitarian church when I lived in Massachusetts. Just once. It didn't seem very churchly but the folks were very nice. When I was married to a Jewish fella I did visit a Synagogue. Thank you for your informative reply and Happy Sunday! :)
      October 15, 2017 1:55 AM MDT

Q "SIN. MORTAL SIN. Are they the same or different? If different, how?"

I think all theistic religious laws have concepts of sins. These are transgressions against laws or commandments of God. Their secular law equivalents are crimes or transgressions against secular laws.

I expect the secular law equivalents of mortal sins under religious law are the capital offences under secular law [offences that justify capital punishment or the death penalty]

This post was edited by CLURT at October 15, 2017 10:16 AM MDT
      October 15, 2017 9:28 AM MDT